The best dog grooming aids

Having the right dog grooming aids and equipment to hand is essential because dog hair quickly becomes a part of your daily life.... and can take over if you don`t keep on top of it!

Guide to dog grooming aids

Regular brushing, a bath every now and then, at-home trims (or a visit to the dog groomer) and even a quick spritz of a problem-solving product all help to keep the `fuzzies` under control.

But it`s impossible to totally eliminate dog hair in your home.

With four dogs in the house I`ve just had to get used to fishing dog fur out of my coffee cup.

I`ve tried a LOT of products over the years and I`ve put together a selection of the `best of the best` dog grooming aids right here.

From shampoos and conditioners, through brushes/combs/clippers, to cozy towels and hair-dryers - there`s something for every dog!

Use these quick links to jump directly to whatever category you`re most interested in, or simply scroll down to view everything...

• FURminator Dog Grooming Aids
  • Dog Brushes, Combs, Clippers & More
  • Books On Dog Grooming
  • Bath Time Supplies For Dogs

The Perfect Grooming Tool For Nervous Dogs!

Scaredy Cut Silent Pet Clipper in Pink with a Scissor Sharpener

The `Scaredy-Cut` is the perfect tool for dogs who`s fur needs to be trimmed or cut, but who are terrified of the grooming salon, or the noise that motorized clippers make.

Available in pink or blue and in alternative packages that include de-matting comb/flea comb/grooming bag.

FURminator Dog Grooming Products

I`m going to start with the `FURminator` products because I honestly think they`re THE best dog grooming tools around.

This hugely popular, veterinarian-recommended FURminator has been provento reduce shedding by 60 to 80 percent with regular use. Who wouldn`twant that! Works on long or short haired dogs of all sizes.

If you`re tired of dog hair on your furniture/floor/clothes/ then this is just what you need. It`s also a boon to dog lovers withallergies.

There`s a style for long-haired breeds, one for short-haired breeds - even one for cats.

Plus there are now more Furminator products, including a rake, a brush, shampoo, conditioner, de-shedding spray and a very useful vacuum attachment and more.....

FURminator
Short Hair

FURminator
Long Hair

FURminator
Dog Rake

FURminator
Dual Dog Brush

FURminator
FurVac Accessory

FURminator
Curry Comb

FURminator
Slicker Brush

FURminator
Shed Control Cloths

FURminator
deShedding Shampoo

FURminator
deShedding Conditioner

FURminator
Waterless Spray

FURminator
Nail Grinder

Some dogs lose a lot more hair than others, and shedding is anormal part of canine life.

But excessive shedding (whether breed-related, seasonal or developmental), can be a real nuisance. 

I`d recommend checking out my `Dog Shedding & How To Handle It!` page as it has tons more tips, advice and recommendations for you.

Dog Brushes, Combs, Clippers & More

There are tons of other types of dog grooming tools that you can use to remove your dog`s loose hair, untangle knots, keep his coat shiny and generally make sure he looks his best.

A bristle brush works well on most coat types.

For shorter hair use shorter bristles that are densely packed, for longer coats pick a brush that has longer bristles that are further apart.

Choose softer bristles for tiny dogs with sensitive skin, and tougher ones for larger dogs or those with wiry coats.

Smooth coated breeds can be kept neat and tidy with easy-to-use grooming gloves or rubber `brushes`.

A slicker brush can help you with knots, tangles and matted hair (although if it`s really matted, you`re often better off just cutting that piece out very carefully and gently).

It`s also great for wire-haired breeds (many Terriers are wire-haired,) and dogs with curly coats such as Poodles, Labradoodles etc.

A pin brush is good for dogs with long hair, so is a widely spaced metal comb.

These also work great for breeds with a double coat (stiff outer hairs and soft undercoat) Dogs with this type of coat include German Shepherds, Collies, Newfoundlands, Chow Chows, Pomeranians and more.

You can use a shedding blade on double-coated dogs to help thin out a thick undercoat. It can also be good for Retriever coats.

If you want to trim/cut/thin your dog`s hair for easier maintenance, a good set of pet clippers are the perfect choice.

Or, if Fido is a bit nervous or anxious around noise-making clippers, why not try the Scaredy-Cut featured above? It would fit the bill nicely.

Safari Pin Brush

Boar Bristle Brush

Li`l Pals Slicker XS

Self-Cleaning Slicker

Safari Shedding Blade

Pin & Bristle Brush

Safari De-Matting Comb

Miracle Coat Slicker

Metal Pin Brush

Rubber Grooming Brush

KONG ZoomGroom

3-in-1 Grooming Glove

Steel Pet Comb

Comb, Rotating Teeth

Wahl Pet Clipper Kit

Andis Easy Clip Kit

Face Trimming Scissors

9-pc Home Grooming Kit

Professional Nail Clippers

Oster Nail Trimmer

If you have a puppy or dog who needs more than just a regular brushing (eg. you want to trim, cut or `strip` his coat), then a good reference book will be a big help....

Grooming For Dummies

All-Breed Dog Grooming

Everything Dog Grooming

DIY Dog Grooming

Bath Time Supplies For Dogs

Even if your dog doesn`t have the type of coat that needs more than a quick swipe with a brush now and then, there will be times when he needs a bath... and even hairless dog breeds need to get clean and sweet smelling .

My step-by-step guide to bathing your puppy gives you tons of tips and advice on how to bathe your pup properly - and these great products will help him get squeaky clean!

Earthbath All Natural Dog Shampoo

Natural Shampoo Oatmeal & Neem

Natural Dog Shampoo Formula

Instant, Bathless Cleaning Mist

Cloud Star Buddy Wash,Lavender & Mint

Perfect Coat White Pearl Shampoo

SynergyLabs Medicated Dog Shampoo

Hypoallergenic Shampoo w/Aloe Vera

Silky Shampoo for Yorkies, Beagles & Spaniels

Skin Soothing Dog Shampoo

Black Pearl Dog
Shampoo

Burts Bee Tearless Puppy Shampoo

Puppy Love X-Gentle & Tearless Shampoo

John Paul Pet Oatmeal Conditioner

Moisture Mist Conditioner For Dogs

The Stuff, Conditioner & Detangler

Nature`s Miracle Deodorizing Coat Wipes

All Natural Lavender Deodorizing Spritz

Angels` Eyes Gentle Stain Wipes

Earthbath All Natural Eye Wipes

PetJoy Soothing Dog Ear Cleaner

Now that Fido is all nice and clean, he`s going to need to get warm and dry quickly!

A regular towel (warmed up in the tumble-dryer first) can work just fine for smaller, short coated dogs or puppies, but a special super-absorbent doggie towel is even better.

And for long or thick-coated dogs, especially the bigger ones, a dog hair-dryer is a good investment....

Bone Dry Microfiber Dog Bath Towel

Soggy Doggy Super Shammy w/Hand Pockets

Aquis Doggie Dryer Microfiber Towel XL

Andis Comfort Dry Ionic/Ceramic Pet Dryer

Now that you`ve got your puppy`s coat, eyes and ears taken care of, all that remains is the `pedicure`!

Check out my page on cutting puppy nails for tons of tips and advice to make this (sometimes) tricky task quick and easy.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts