Top 5 best healthy dog treats

Similar to us humans loving snacks in between meals, our companions love occasional tasty dog treats. But when it comes to treats for dogs, there are two important things to keep in mind: it’s better if they’re low calorie and made with wholesome ingredients. Below is a list of five best healthy dog treats only with all natural ingredients for health-conscious pet parents.

Top Best Healthy Dog TreatsWith the advancements in pet food market, commercial healthy dog treats are rapidly becoming one of the safest ways to treat your pets. In fact, some studies have found that often times it’s better to stick with best healthy dog treats that are commercially made than experimenting with random homemade dog treats recipes.

Many dog treats reviews focus on the wrong aspect and choose popular products over quality.

In the below list of best healthy treats for dogs, we’ve used guidelines from several University websites and studies to come up with top five products that are actually healthy for dogs, have low calorie count per treat, and contain all natural ingredients (organic and USDA certified whenever possible).

Best Healthy Dog Treats (All Natural Ingredients)

1 Rocco & Roxie Supply Co Jerky Sticks for Dogs

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewAnybody looking for the best healthy dog treats that are USDA organic certified should start with these first. Our editor Samantha has previously reviewed this company and their famous product in our extensive best dog treat review video.

The fast growing company Rocco & Roxie Supply Co makes their doggy jerky sticks treats from high-quality beef, chicken, or turkey that they slow-smoke for 15 hours, which develops a flavor and texture that they guarantee all dogs will love. These best healthy dog treats are made in the USA and do not include artificial preservatives or common fillers, such as soy, wheat, corn, and gluten, that are found in many regular dog treats. Each bag of these gourmet dog treats contains approximately 25 sticks that are 7” to 8” long, which may be given whole or broken into pieces for smaller breeds.

• Read Amazon customer reviews

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewAs you can see from the reviews above, customers agree that even the pickiest of dogs love any type of organic dog treats, but are even more eager to please when offered Rocco & Roxie Supply Co treats over others. Although the price tag is a deterrent for some, others insist that these best healthy dog treats are worth the cost on account of the value of the product and these being USDA organic certified treats. Customers appreciate the fact that these natural dog treats do not leave the typical smell and grease on their hands, and, unlike other treats, the jerky sticks actually smell very pleasant according to most.

One concern that a small amount of customers have is that the ingredient list includes both garlic and sodium nitrate, both of which are said to be toxic for canines. A spokesperson from the company assures readers that the amount of each is minimal (less than a few ounces of sodium nitrate per one hundred pounds of meat and less than 1% garlic per batch). He also says there are mixed reports as to whether or not garlic is okay for pets, ensuring that a small amount is not thought to be a threat regardless.

Video: Top 5 Gerbil Treats *2014*

PROS:
  • USDA organic certified
  • Very pleasant smell
  • All dogs love them
CONS:
  • Expensive
  • Contains some garlic

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewMost helpful Amazon customer review (full review + VIDEO): “I have purchased at least a dozen different treats over the last few years. Not to say my dog is picky but he does have his favorites. These have become his favorite treat. He knows where the treats are located in my kitchen cabinets…

2 Greenies Dental Dog Treats and Dog Chews

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewGreenies as our second one of the best healthy dog treats has also been rated on the second place by our editors as overall best treats for dogs. Greenies Dental Dog Treats and Dog Chews are the #1 choice by veterinarians for dental chews for dogs as well as one of the healthiest dog treats available for purchase today. They are safe and easy for dogs to digest and provide a simple, low fat way for dog parents to maintain dental health in their companion(s).

Greenies healthy treats for dogs relieve pet owners from having to search for homemade dog treats recipes due to their rigorous testing and quality control. These doggy chews serve as a way to promote healthier teeth and gums, fight tartar, plaque, bad breath, and add vitamins and minerals to a dog’s daily diet. These second best healthy dog treats are available in jumbo, large, regular, petite, and tiny “styles” and in five different size packages (6, 12, 18, 27, and 36 ounces).

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewAs you can see from the reviews above, most dog owners agree that canines love these breath freshening all natural dog treats, and the resulting clean teeth and overall dental health keep them coming back for more. Many pet parents feel the price (which is considerably cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else) is easily justified by the benefits of using the product on a daily basis. If you search online, you can also find veterinarians commenting on the great health of the teeth and gums of dogs who are regularly given this product. As with any other dog treat, pet owners should be sure to supervise their dog while he or she is chewing on these low calorie dog treats to ensure they are not swallowed whole.

Be aware that while most of the customers are very happy with these healthy dog treats by themselves, there’s a lot of recorded proof of poor batches of these dog treats being sent out with white worms infesting the bag, with the last review coming from May, 2015. We suggest calling the manufacturer first, and always checking the FULL package before using these treats with your dog.

PROS:
  • Proven to help with teeth and gums
  • #1 vet recommended treats
  • All natural ingredients with vitamins
CONS:
  • Expensive
  • Potential worm issues

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewMost helpful Amazon customer review (full review)
: “I have been feeding our dogs Greenie bones since they first came out and we have NEVER had a problem. I have German Shepards, Dobermans and medium sized hound dogs. They all love their GB’s and I find that because our Dobie…

3 Zuke’s Mini Naturals Healthy Moist Training Treats

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewThird one on the list of best healthy dog treats is from Zuke’s, yet another famous company that so far have been striving to keep their customers very satisfied. Variety is key when it comes to Zuke’s Training Treats. These organic dog treats are available in chicken, duck, peanut butter, pork, salmon, wild rabbit, sea food, exotic, and a variety pack and in multiple size bags of each.

At only 3.5 calories per treat, these tiny low calorie healthy treats for dogs are made with real meat which is great when used for your dog training purposes. Zuke’s moist nugget treats are made in the USA, and the company prides themselves for sticking to their all natural dog treats label: they use no wheat, corn, or soy, but only natural wholefood ingredients.

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewFrom the link above, you can read that many customers say that these gourmet dog treats work perfectly when used to train their dogs, and, because of the small size, they are easy to transport when going on walks or to the dog park. These grain free dog treats are said to last a long time, making the small price tag more than reasonable. Many customers point out that, when not sealed correctly, Zuke’s natural dog treats will dry out and lose their moist texture- therefore, always be sure to seal the bag tightly!

Dog owners considering these third best healthy dog treats must know that Zuke’s company has recently been acquired by the conglomerate Nestle Purina, which raises concern for some pet owners. However, Zuke’s ensures their customers and say they still work independently, and will stay true to their history of all natural dog treats and high levels of customer satisfaction by continuing to create the exact same products many dog owners are used to.

PROS:
  • Good price
  • Very low calorie
  • All natural, wholefood ingredients
CONS:
  • Dries out quickly

: “My wife and I purchased these treats one day when we had run out of our normal treats. They are small, our dogs love them, and are much better quality than many commonly available store brands. Still, I had some questions about the ingredients…

4 Newman’s Own Organics Premium Dog Treats

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewThe fourth best healthy dog treats on the list comes from another well known American company that donates big portions of their proceeds to various charities – Newman’s Own. Organics Premium Dog Treats are heart-shaped, crunchy organic dog treats that come in a wide variety of flavors and sizes, including Turkey and Sweet Potato, Salmon and Sweet Potato, Peanut Butter, Chicken, and Cheese.

Boasting a blended recipe of organic and natural ingredients, Newman’s Own Organics all natural dog treats are made in Canada and contain no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. These are one of the healthiest dog treats you can find on the market, and they contain no wheat, soy, or corn, and are 70% organic.

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewFrom the dog treat reviews above, you can see that customers agree that these premium dog treats are the perfect size for dog training (depending on the dog), although some customers choose to break them in two (pre-perforated) pieces when used as such. Dogs with digestive problems seem to eat these gourmet dog treats with no issue, which makes them a great option for canines with sensitive tummies.

As with many products, price comparisons confirm that pet owners can find these fourth best healthy dog treats for a better price on Amazon and a few other online retailers than in a lot of brick and mortar pet stores. As with many other pet-related products, it’s easy to spot reviews where dog owners say that their dogs would not eat these healthy pet treats, but that group seems to be very small for these specific pet treats. Other than that, we could not find any other negative feedback.

PROS:
  • Certified organic ingredients
  • Human-grade meats
  • Loved by many dogs
CONS:
  • Expensive
  • Too small for large dogs

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewTop 100 Amazon reviewer (full review)
: “I can whole-heartedly recommend these treats! Both our dogs love them, and although they can’t voice it I’m sure they are thankful for healthy sustenance! Though we personally don’t use it, I would highly recommend checking out…

5 Plato Pet Treats Organic Chicken

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewFinal option as the best healthy dog treats on this list, Plato’s treats deserve to take either one of these spots above. These low-calorie, organic dog treats are a very healthy option for dog owners looking to train their pets. Plato Pet Treats are made in the USA and each individual pet treat undergoes a thorough inspection on quality and freshness before being packaged and shipped.

These healthy treats for dogs are made of over 90% chicken, include vitamins, antioxidants, and all-natural ingredients, and contain no artificial preservatives, flavors, or genetically modified organisms. These USDA organic dog treats are available in both 6-ounce and 16-ounce packages.

Best Healthy Dog Treats ReviewAs noted in the reviews you can find using the above link, majority of customers love the minimal and highly regulated ingredient list of these gourmet dog treats, which ensures their pet is getting one of the highest quality treats available. Dog owners who have pets with an intolerance to gluten or have picky palettes in general have had the most success with using this fifth best healthy dog treats as opposed to most other products on the market.

Although the price is relatively affordable and seems acceptable to most pet parents, some customers recommend breaking every doggy treat into two pieces to get even more value per bag. A few customers have expressed their concerns about their dog refusing to eat these all natural dog treats, and some canines also had stomach problems after having the treat, including vomiting or gas. However, these cases seem to be very rare. Other customers also mentioned that the crumbly texture of these healthy dog treats can make a mess and that their dogs would rather play with these pet treats instead of actually eating them.

PROS:
  • Affordable
  • USDA Organic certified
  • 90% meat content
CONS:
  • Not all dogs like them

: “I am always looking for healthy treats for my Wheaten and the fewer ingredients the better. I thought I found the best product when I found Waggin Train Chicken Jerky at Costco. Then I read the reviews on Amazon and, well, it scared the crap…

Reviews & Comments

Related posts