5 Best dog training treats to quickly train adult dogs & puppies

When you’re training your dog, whether a puppy or an adult canine, it’s important to have something that will motivate him. Petting your dog will only get you so far. So what better motivation could there be for your pooch than the best dog training treats?

Using special dog treats for training canines is the most common and fastest way to achieve results. Trainers and owners alike use the same methodology, and it seems there’s no better option to having a dog understand what you want him to do and learn.

5 Best Dog Training Treats to Quickly Train Adult Dogs & PuppiesAssociation of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) has a great article explaining why using food in training dogs is a superior way of teaching than any other method. Even the CIA use special training dog treats for teaching their dogs instead of clickers or petting.

Regular dog treats vs training treats: what’s the difference between these two?

While regular treats for dogs are manufactured with the focus on taste and nutrition, the best dog training treats will normally be very small and low in calories.

You don’t want your dog to become obese just because you’re trying to teach him a few commands using food as a reward. Of course, training treats for dogs should also be healthy and safe for your Fido. So the next time you’re training a dog, make sure your dog treat jar is full of healthy stuff.

“Do this training before his mealtime, when you are sure he is hungry. Pick a day when you have no commitments for the whole day.” – Dr P’s Training School [source]

I’m sure you’ve heard about the recent string of pet product recalls. In fact, it seems as if there is a new one being announced every week. You need to do your research to ensure that you select the best dog training treats from a reputable brand. The ones listed below have a great track record and have also received high praise and reviews from dog owners.

Need dog training tips? Watch our video on How to Teach a Dog Basic Stuff.

5 Best Dog Training Treats
The Fastest Way To Train Your Dog or Puppy

1Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky Dog Treats

Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky Dog TreatsAs we mentioned in our detailed write-up and video review of this product, these premium treats for dogs are natural and 100% satisfaction guaranteed, according to the manufacturer.

The company never enhances their treats with artificial flavors or fillers, and because of this these best dog training treats from Rocco & Roxie will not leave a greasy, smelly residue on your hands. Each dog treat is approximately seven inches long and slow roasted, so when broken down in half, they are perfect for using as a reward when training dogs.

• Read reviews of other pet owners

Rocco & Roxie’s training dog treats are naturally smoked, which most canines tend to love. These pet treats are made in small batches in the USA and have an extremely short ingredients list, so pet parents can feel good about offering these treats as rewards.

Many customers choose to break Rocco & Roxie Gourmet Jerky Dog Treats into smaller pieces before using them as rewards, which is easy to do thanks to the segments at every inch or so. Dogs love these all natural training treats, and pet owners love that they can offer such a healthy alternative to many of the chemical-laden treats currently available.

best dog training treatsOn the drawbacks side, it seems some dogs may have stomach issues in correlation with this product, so be sure to introduce these to your pet very slowly, just in case. The ingredient list does include garlic, which may be harmful for dogs in large quantities, but pet owners should use their own discretion and do their own research if concerned.

PROS:
  • Never enhanced with artificial flavors or fillers
  • Naturally smoked in small batches
  • Made in the USA
  • No wheat, soy, corn or gluten
CONS:
  • 7 inches long, but can easily be broken into smaller pieces
  • Some pet owners have stated that these best dog training treats have given their pet digestive issues

best dog training treatsMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review + VIDEO): “I have purchased at least a dozen different treats over the last few years. Not to say my dog is picky but he does have his favorites. These have become his favorite treat. He knows where the treats are located in my kitchen cabinets and will go wait near the door to let me know he wants a treat. As you can see in this little video..when I asked him to show me with treats he wants, even though there was 3 different brands of treats in the cabinet, he always goes right to his Rocco and Roxie Jerky treats…”

PureBites Beef Liver Dog Treats

PureBites Beef Liver Dog TreatsThese doggy training treats are made with only one ingredient – 100% natural and pure USDA inspected beef liver. This is probably the only brand of treats for dogs with one-ingredient list on label.

PureBites are high in protein and contain less than 10 calories per treat, making them a great option for pet owners looking for a nutritious and delicious solution for dog training. PureBites treats are also made in the USA.

These best dog training treats retain nutrients and freshness through the freeze dried process, which removes water and preserves the structural integrity of whole foods. These treats are great for picky eaters or dogs with allergies, as most dogs seem to love them, and the short ingredient list helps to ensure no flare-ups from allergens like grain, corn or soy.

Health conscious pet parents can feel good about giving PureBites Beef Liver Dog Treats to their dogs, as they are natural and high in protein while being delicious enough to keep dogs happy with treat time. As can be expected with most dog foods and treats, these do not smell particularly appealing to the human nose.

best dog training treatsThere are also certain dogs who do not like these treats, but they are not common! They have more of a crunchy or chalky texture, rather than a chewy or jerky composition. If you’re looking for something to keep your dog busy, you may want to try another option.

PROS:
  • Single ingredient dog treat made with 100% natural and pure USDA inspected beef liver
  • High in protein
  • Contain less than 10 calories per treat
  • Retain nutrients and freshness through the freeze drying process
  • Made in the USA
CONS:
  • Have an unpleasant odor
  • Some owners reported that their dogs would not eat these treats, but that can be said about all the best dog training treats

best dog training treatsMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “After my Pit-mix had trouble with food allergies, I tried and tried to find a no grain, no corn, no chicken treat that she would like. She loves these treats and with them made in the USA (which I think should be printed right on the front of the bag) how can you beat them…”

3Zuke’s Mini Naturals Healthy Moist Treats

Zuke`s Mini Naturals Healthy Moist Training TreatsThese Zuke’s reward dog treats are perfect for training, as they contain only 3.5 calories per treat. They are natural and contain wholefood ingredients that are packed with nutritious and antioxidants. Real chicken is the number one ingredient in these treats from Zuke’s (although they are available in many other flavors).

• Read reviews from other pet owners

These best dog training treats contain no wheat, corn, or soy. Because they are aimed at being used for training purposes, they are very small but still moist and full of vitamins and minerals.

Pet owners (and their dogs) love using these miniature treats for training purposes. Remember, dogs do not care how big of a treat they get, but that they get something for doing as they are told. The small size is not an issue for dogs, as the little morsels pack a big punch! Because Zuke’s Mini Naturals Healthy Moist Training Treats are made in the USA, customers can feel great about feeding these treats to their pet(s) often and without reserve.

best dog training treatsMost negative reviews deal with the fact that this company may have sold out to another company, and not the product itself. As with other food and treats, dogs may get stomach aches from these, so be sure to introduce them to your dog’s diet slowly. As with many other dog treats, these may not smell great, so handling them may be unfavorable for pet owners.

PROS:
  • Contain only 3.5 calories per treat
  • Natural and contain wholefood ingredients
  • Packed with antioxidants
  • Contain no wheat, no corn and no soy
  • Made in the USA
CONS:
  • Unpleasant odor
  • As with all other best dog training treats, some dogs may get an upset stomach after eating these treats. Be sure to gradually introduce them into his diet.

best dog training treatsMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “My wife and I purchased these treats one day when we had run out of our normal treats. They are small, our dogs love them, and are much better quality than many commonly available store brands. Still, I had some questions about the ingredients, so I sent an email over to the Zuke’s customer service address, and got a very nice response, pasted below…”

4Pet Botanics Training Treats for Dogs

Pet Botanics Training Treats for DogsThese reward treats for dogs are the perfect size for repetitive rewarding of your pup, as each bag contains over 550 treats! They are easy to carry and made with real pork liver. They are low in calories, and have a soft, moist consistency that dogs love. Meat is the number one ingredient, in these best dog training treats from Pet Botanics.

A natural preservative system is used so that you can enjoy knowing you are giving your dog the highest quality ingredients. Customers of these treats claim their dogs would do almost anything for one of these delicious morsels!

For pet owners who want to reward their dogs but not add any extra weight, reviewers feel these are the best on the market. Many appreciate the soft texture of Pet Botanics Training Rewards Treats for Dogs, as it enables them to use the treats for small puppies, elderly dogs, and everyone in between!

As with any treat, some dogs may not prefer these over others, and some may choose not to eat these at all (however, they are definitely the minority). Some customers complained about the strong smell, but others compared it to beef jerky or Slim Jims. Since these are meat-y treats, a strong beef-y scent should be expected.

PROS:
  • Each bag contains over 550 treats
  • Made with real pork liver as the number one ingredient
  • Low in calories with a soft texture that dogs love
  • Made with a natural preservative system
CONS:
  • Unpleasant odor
  • As with all other best dog training treats, some dogs may not like these snacks.

best dog training treatsMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “My boyfriend and I have a Carolina dog named Tyson, and he is madly in love with these treats. He would do anything for them. ANYTHING. Sit down? Yes. Roll over? Yup. Swim through a lake of fire? With pleasure. These are like Klondike bars for dogs…”

5Wellness WellBites Soft Natural Treats

Wellness WellBites Soft Natural TreatsThese pet training reward treats are made with quality ingredients and made with two kinds of fresh meat. The Wellness WellBites Dog Treats are soft and perfect for everyday treats or training purposes, whichever the pet owner prefers! They are all natural and contain only all natural ingredients with no corn, soy, artificial colors, or artificial flavors.

Because they are made in the USA and backed by the wellness guarantee, pet owners can feel good about using these often and without apprehension. Pets with sensitive tummies and/or strict diets can enjoy these all natural treats while sticking to their dietary guidelines and restrictions.

Some customers who feel they are too big for their smaller breeds can easily tear Wellness WellBites Soft Natural Dog Treats into smaller pieces. They truly are a treat for every dog, and most dogs would say they are the best on the market.

best dog training treatsUnhappy customers have negative comments regarding the size and smell of these treats. However, training treats are supposed to be small so they can be used frequently, and most dog treats don’t smell great (unless you like the smell of meat, of course).

PROS:
  • Made with two kinds of fresh meat
  • All natural
  • Contain no wheat, no corn and no soy
  • Made in the USA
CONS:
  • Unpleasant odor
  • Some buyers complained about the size, but training treats are meant to be small in size as they are given very frequently

best dog training treatsMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “What can I say? You get what you pay for and these Wellness WellBites are worth every dollar. My dog LOVES these treats so much- she’ll do anything for them. She chooses them over some other high-end treats that it wouldn’t be nice for me to name here.”

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts