5 Questions to ask yourself before getting a pit bull

Those that have owned or been around a Pit Bull know that can be a wonderful member of the household. With a “lab-like” personality, these lovers quickly steal your heart. It’s easy to see your friend’s Pittie and then want one for your own. But they are not without their own quirks and getting one should not be considered lightly. Before you add a Pit Bull to your home, ask yourself the following five questions.

Image Source: Blgrssby via Flickr
Image Source: Blgrssby via Flickr

#1 – Do I Have Time To Properly Socialize Him?

While Pit Bulls can be a wonderful family pet, they need to be properly socialized first (just like most breeds). If not, you can end up with fear or aggression issues. Socializing a young puppy correctly takes a lot of time. Re-socializing a rescues can take even longer. Be sure you have the time and are willing to do the work before bringing a Pittie home.

#2 – Can I Provide Enough Exercise?

Pit Bulls have a lot of energy. Pittie puppies have a ton of energy. If you are going to bring a Pit Bull home, make sure you have the time to give them the exercise they need. Even an adult rescue is going to need some activity to keep weight off and to burn off energy. Without it, they become destructive.

Video: Austin Mahone - Mmm Yeah ft. Pitbull

#3 – Am I Willing To Train Him?

Pit bulls are exuberant greeters and can get wild when excited. For these reasons, basic training is a must for any Pittie. Since they are an intelligent breed, they thrive on advanced training such as obedience, rally, agility, dock diving, even disc! So be sure you are willing to dedicate some time and money into your Pittie’s mental exercise as well.

Video: This is what a vicious PITBULL can do to a BABY!!! Jameson the Vicious Pitbull

#4 – How Often Am I Away From Home?

Pit Bulls do not like to be left behind – they love their family and become very bonded. This makes them a great family dog. This also means that if you are gone a lot, your Pittie will be very lonely and may even develop separation anxiety. They are not a breed that likes to be left alone so if you have a job that includes lots of travel and/or long hours every day, another breed of dog may be better fit.

Video: Pitbull - Don't Stop The Party ft. TJR

#5 – I Am I Ready To Deal With The Stigma?

This is the hardest part of owning a Pit Bull. Are you ready to deal with the fact that not everyone is going to like your choice of breed? Parents of your kid’s friends, people at the dog park, even places like grooming shops and pet stores may not welcome him. In addition, finding housing can be difficult. If you don’t own your own home, are you willing to deal with the complexities of renting with a Pit Bull? Some cities do not even allow them to live within their borders. All this needs to be thoroughly thought out before you let a Pittie into your heart. If you don’t, you may end up facing heartbreaking decisions.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts