10 Eco-Friendly Toys Perfect for Small Dogs and Puppies
We all want what’s best for the ones we love, and for many of us, that includes a canine companion. They don’t call dog’s “Man’s Best Friend” for nothing. They’re loyal, loving and it’s only natural to want to give your dog the very best. Whether that be buying high-quality dog food or making sure the toys you buy for them are suitable for them, everything we do for them comes down to looking out for their best interests.
In addition to wanting to keep our pooch safe, we should also care about the world we live in. Buying eco-friendly, sustainable products is one way you can make sure to do that, and the good news is there are many great dog toy companies which offer high-quality, safe toys that are also good for the environment as well.
Here are a few toys that are perfect for your small dog or puppy with the added bonus of being eco-friendly.
1. The Pup Ball by Planet Dog– Planet Dog is a company known for their award-winning Orbee-Tuff material, and they created one of their famous balls just for puppies. In addition to being durable enough to survive teething, it’s also gentle on their teeth. As an added bonus, the ball can be frozen, giving even more relief to teething pups. And best of all, these balls (as with all Planet Dog products) are made in the USA, recyclable, and non-toxic.
Video: Dog Music for Toy Sized Breeds! Perfect Music for any Small Dog or Puppy!
2. Recycle Line by Planet Dog – Okay, so this isn’t just one specific toy, but you get a choice between a ball, a bone or a value pack of balls. The difference between these and other Orbee balls? This line is even more eco-friendly! Apparently when they’re making regular Orbee balls, there’s a certain amount of excess material left over from the molding process. And that’s where this line comes in. That excess material is captured and recycled into this line, which practically eliminated all waste in their production process.
3. Orbee-Tuff Sport by Planet Dog – After awhile, a normal old ball gets boring. For the dog who wants a little something more, you have a line of Orbee-Tuff balls that are all eco-friendly and recyclable like the other line, but come in a variety of shapes and sizes from a football to a tennis ball, and everything in between.
4. Cotton Rope Starfish Toy by Harry Barker – Made with machine washable, recycled cotton yarn, these rope toys are perfect for dogs of all ages. But puppies will especially enjoy these when you freeze them, since the cold will help soothe their aching gums. The cotton also acts as a tooth brush, helping clean your pet’s teeth as they chew.
5. Alligator Canvas Toy by Harry Barker – Many of the canvas toys over at Harry Barker would be perfect for your dog, but we can’t resist this adorable alligator design. This toy is made from a durable canvas, faux fur, and is filled with an eco-fiberfill. Oh, and it has a two-way squeaker, which dogs just love too.
6. Eco Owl Buddy Stuffed Toy from Honest Pet Products – Natural hemp is a great material for dog toys, as it offers anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties naturally. Plus, it’s soft and so easy to snuggle up with. And when your toy is as cute as this owl, well, it’s easy to see why dogs would love this toy. Non-toxic, lead-free and chemical-free, this toy is also stuffed with organic wool. Cute and eco-friendly to boot, you can’t beat that!
7. Hemp Dog Toys from West Paw Design – If you’re looking for more choices in hemp dog toys, look no further than West Paw Design. They have an elephant, a Scottie and a dino toy, giving your pup a few options. All of them are made with super soft hemp material, and offering up naturally anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties and filled with materials produced from recycled plastic bottles.
- Eco Tosser by Honest Pet Products – Does your dog love chasing tennis balls? Are you concerned about our tennis ball being chemical-free and environmentally-friendly? If so, check out the Eco Tosster by Honest Pet Products. This toy is non-toxic and earth friendly, made from a sustainable hemp canvas and filled with organic wool. This isn’t the your grandmother’s tennis ball, that’s for sure. This one is about as eco-friendly as it gets.
- Toppl Treat Toy by West Paw Design – This toy is designed to trap treats inside, giving your dog something to do as it tries to get them out. And if you buy two of these toys, you can lock them together and an additional challenge. The Toppl is made recyclable, BPA and phthlalate-free, FDA compliant to be safe to eat, and it’s guaranteed to last.
- Big Sky Dog Toys from West Paws Design – Help cut down on waste and buy your dog an adorable, soft toy at the same time! These dog and teddy bear toys are literally cut from the same cloth as the company’s Big Sky blankets. In fact, they’re made from the leftover scraps from the blankets.
But why go through all the trouble of buying non-toxic, eco-friendly toys if you’re just going to wash them with chemicals? If you truly want to make sure your pet toys are safe and environmentally-friendly, we suggest only washing them in all-natural products, such as those sold by Grab Green.
All Natural Cleaning
Grab Green Dish Soap is perfect for hand washing your furry friends’ toys by hand. The non-toxic, naturally derived, plant and mineral based ingredients will clean off all that slobber while leaving no nasty chemicals behind. For toys that are dishwasher safe, you also have Grab Green Dishwasher Detergent so you don’t have to do all the cleaning by hand.
And for the cuddly, soft or fuzzy toys that need to be thrown in the washing machine, Grab Green Laundry Detergent is a superior, yet safe, cleaner. Made of naturally derived, plant and mineral based ingredients so you can clean their favorite toys and bedding, while also making sure to keep them safe. Extra bonus, it’s hypoallergenic, so for dog’s with allergies, this can help with that too! For more tips visit the Refreshingly Simple blog!