20 Best dog houses for outdoors and indoors

Pet owners who either choose to keep their dogs outside most of the time, or have dogs that rather would stay outside, some of these best dog houses would be a must-buy. A dog needs his own house for many different reasons, not least of which is because a dog house keeps him warm in the winter, cool in the summer, dry in rain, and provides shelter as well as the feeling of safety and security.

Top Best Dog Houses for Outdoors and Indoors ReviewWhen it comes to picking the best dog house, perfect fit is one of the most important considerations, according to canine experts. A dog must always be able to comfortably fit in the dog house and want to stay inside there.

A dog house cannot be too tight, or too roomy- otherwise they will rather sleep next to it. Some owners choose a metal dog crate instead- however, this is less than ideal for outdoors.

Canines love their houses, it’s a natural instinct. Professionals call this “sheltering your dog.” Remember that not all dogs are suited for outdoor OR indoor living.

“Not all dogs are suited to outdoor living. Even with a high quality dog house which meets every requirement of the law, old dogs, puppies, small breeds, and short-haired breeds will be severely stressed, even to the point of death by outdoor living in a Minnesota winter.” – Animal Humane Society [source]

Dog trainers and other canine experts stress the importance of measuring your dog and then looking at the specifications of the dog house you’re about to purchase. Technically, your dog should always be able to stand inside the dog house, turn around and lie down easily whenever he wants to.

There are many different options of houses for dogs to choose from. Aside from the measurements and personal preferences such as design or color of a dog house, what would work best for your own Fido highly depends on the climate you live in. For example, an elevated dog house floor keeps water out and will also stay cooler in summers and warmer in winters. Occasionally, if the door is off the center, it would mean less wind, snow, rain and similar weather disasters blowing inside of the dog home.

Dog House BrandPriceQualityRating
Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban$$$$A+4.3/5
Pet Zone Step Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House$$$A4.6/5
Pet Squeak Arf Frame Dog House$$A4.3/5
Pet Squeak Doggy Den Dog House$$$A-4.3/5
Merry Pet Wood Room with a View Pet House$$B4.1/5

* Click on the dog house brand for more information, prices and nutrition details. Alternatively, scroll down below to read our overview.

Some people choose to build their own DIY dog house, and that’s a very viable option as long as you know what you’re doing (take a look at this helpful DIY article for summer dog house and this one for winter dog house).

If you’re buying a pre-made house for dogs, and if you want truly the best dog house for your pooch, remember that one size does NOT fit all pets. You should first consider how safe a dog house will be for your canine. Thorough research is always recommended, which is why I’ve also included links to other pet owners’ dog house reviews for you to see what they thought of the product.

The below list of top best dog houses includes the best items that were specifically selected for their quality, comfort and particularly value for the price. If these options aren’t enough, I recommend you scrolling down below for some of the alternative best dog houses without the description or review (click on the product name to see more details).

TOP 10 Best Dog Houses for Outdoors and Indoors

10 Petego Umbra Pet Portable Pet House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses PetegoAt the 10th position, I decided to include a portable dog house. This Petego Umbra Pet Portable Pet House and Containment System can be quickly constructed for your dog outside whenever necessary. It has an “umbrella” type of mechanics for easy setup and breakdown, so it usually takes about 5 minutes to put it up. You can even use this dog home in cars. Its mesh vents are very durable and claw-proof.

See what others think:

Video: 10 Best Dog Houses 2016

Easy to operate. Light weight but sturdy. Watch your fingers (read full Amazon review): “I purchased this mainly for vet visits (to keep my dogs safe in the lobby). But it can be handy for all sorts of occasions (training classes or training at home, competitions, shows, etc…) The Umbrapet is light weight yet sturdy. It comes with…” 5 out of 5

Video: 20 AWESOME DOG HOUSES

9 Suncast Dog House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses SuncastObviously no list of best dog houses is complete without the Suncast DH350 dog house, which is currently one of the most popular homes for dogs on Amazon. It’s pretty standard, looks good, is safe and easy to setup. There’s nothing special about it, but does it really need anything special? It works, and that’s the most important thing. This dog house fits pooches up to 100 lbs, comes with vinyl doors and you can even personalize your dog’s name above the entrance (letters are provided).

See what others think:

Great Dog House – and I have a big/destructive dog! (read full Amazon review): “I read the previous reviews AFTER ordering this dog house and was very worried about my purchase. But honestly I was shocked how WRONG a lot of the reviews were in my opinion. My dog is…” 4 out of 5

Video: 100 Cool Ideas! DOG HOUSE!

8 Pet Zone Step 2 Cozy Cottage Dog House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses Pet Zone 1What looks to be a pretty simple, plastic-y design is actually one of the best dog houses available on Amazon for a fair price. Pet Zone’s Step 2 Cozy Cottage dog house will make sure your pooch is cool in summer and warm in winter, and will accommodate any Fido up to 80 pounds. This dog house has double-walls for extra insulation, is very easy to clean and assemble without any tools whatsoever, and is made in the USA out of very durable plastic.

See what others think:

Easy to Assemble (read full Amazon review): “I have indoor dogs, but one of them loves to spend most of the day outside in all but the worst weather. I bought him this dog house so he’d be more comfortable. I put the Cottage together myself, and it was quick & easy – just took a little strength. My boy loves his crate, so…” 5 out of 5

7 TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic Dog House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses TrixieFor the 7th place of TopDogTips best dog houses for either indoors or outdoors I found that TRIXIE Pet Products Rustic dog house fits perfectly well. Its solid, weatherproof pine construction that’s resistant to drafts is exactly what every dog needs. The design is great and it looks absolutely stunning inside and outside. The house is raised from the floor, roof has a locking arm, feet are adjustable, and you can even remove the floor if you want. In addition, you can also purchase a separate plastic door for this dog house.

See what others think:

Really nice, after a few necessary adjustments (read full Amazon review): “First of all this small size doghouse is only big enough for the small breeds of dogs. I bought it to use as a house for my outdoor cat and it fits one cat that weighs about 15 pounds, nicely. It has a nice…” 4 out of 5

6 ASL Solutions Foam Insulated Dog Palace

Top 10 Best Dog Houses ASLA much more expensive option of best dog houses is the ASL Solutions Foam dog palace. To be honest, this dog home would’ve been in a place closer to number #1, but its price makes me want to drop this house by a few places. With that being said, this dog house itself is great! It’s very well insulated, looks good, has up to 4 inches of real Styro/EPS foam for its insulation per each panel to maintain a comfortable for the canine temperature inside. The door is self-closing and very easy for pets to pass through, and the house itself is durable and easy to clean.

See what others think:

Meets my dog’s needs (read full Amazon review): “We’ve had this dog house for my yellow lab for almost 4 years. Very sturdy. It’s been in the sun the whole time, but hasn’t had any sun rot. The color has modified slightly, but that’s all. Other than the slight color change it still looks brand new. She’s mostly…” 5 out of 5

5 Merry Pet Wood Room with a View Pet House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses MerryOne of the more popular and best looking dog houses out there, Merry Pet MPS002 Wood Room with a View Pet House deserves this place due to its quality build and really low price (considering what you’re getting here). One of the best dog houses on Amazon, it’s very durable and is idea for either indoors or outdoors. Mostly designed for smaller pets, dog house can be assembled in less than 20 minutes, and all necessary tools are provided. Its balcony, latticework and cute side steps is what sells this dog house – it looks absolutely stunning! We’ve also recently reviewed Merry Products dog crate, which dog owners find to look amazing indoors.

See what others think:

My dogs love this lookout post! (read full Amazon review): “have had this pet house for four-and-a-half years and it is still going strong. It is great for relatively small dogs, I’d say up to 15-20 lbs. I put a square dog bed with bolster sides on top to make it comfy, and my two chihuahuas, 7 lbs and 4 lbs, are usually up there together enjoying…” 5 out of 5

4 Pet Squeak Doggy Den Dog House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses DoggyAt the 4th place of best dog houses is yet another option that is a great price for value. Pet Squeak Doggy Den dog house is very easy to assemble, it looks ultra-cute and is very ergonomic. This dog house’s naturally weather-resistant materials will keep your pooch warm, safe, dry, and cool whenever necessary (all materials are non-toxic). Surprisingly, the home is very light to carry if you need to, but is also durable and obviously sturdy. Raised floor is also a good advantage to have for the dog.

See what others think:

Great dog house for a great price (read full Amazon review): “I bought two of these recently to house some outdoor cats who took to it immediately specially having the two ways to exit the dog house so that they never feel trapped by any racoons or predators. I put them together in under 7 minutes each. Amazing…” 5 out of 5

TOP 3 Premium Quality Best Dog Houses

3 Pet Squeak Arf Frame Dog House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses ArfOne of the truly best dog houses yet very affordable is another one of Pet Squeak’s Arf Frame dog houses. This home is also very easy and quick to assemble, have similar non-toxic and weather-resistant materials to keep your dog warm and dry, and the raised floor will make sure that nothing accidentally sips into the house of your pet. The home itself looks great inside and outside, and can be used indoors or outdoors. Check out customer reviews as well, which are all great!

See what others think:

Video: The Coolest Houses In The World

Great Guest Home (read full Amazon review): “VERY impressive little unit! I bought an XS size, and it’s really a fine piece of work in every way. First of all the price for it is great for an all wood constructed house, the shipping was FAST, and arrived very cleanly packed and well organized. Can be…” 5 out of 5

2 Pet Zone Step 2 Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House

Top 10 Best Dog Houses Pet Zone 2Second best dog house you might want to consider for your pet is Pet Zone Step 2 Tuff-N-Rugged Dog House. Unlike his smaller version from above, these best dog houses are bigger and more stable (which is why dog owners prefer this). It accommodates pets up to 130 lbs, and will keep them warm in winter and cool in summer without any issues. Its double-walls provide the perfect insulation to achieve those goals. Pet Zone’s dog house is made in USA of very durable plastic, and you can assemble it very easily and quickly without any tools. It’s pretty simple but it works perfect!

See what others think:

Stands up to the most destructive dog (read full Amazon review): “I am the proud mom of a 10 month old, 120 lb rottweiler husky mix. This giant puppy chews up everything, the world is his toy. This house has not been a target of his slobbery jaws. It’s well built, tough, and looks good. I use a large…” 5 out of 5

TOP Best Dog House Pick

1 Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban

Top 10 Best Dog Houses PetmateFirst of the best dog houses is of course the well-known Petmate Indigo Dog House with Microban. This new home for your pet includes a doorway that’s extended and offset to prevent drafts, rain, snow, wind and other type of nasty stuff coming inside of the house like it does with some other ones. Another thing that no other one of those best dog houses has is its Microban – this stuff helps to fight off random odors, bacteria, mold, mildew, stains, fungi and other gross growths that can accumulate around the house or even inside of it over time.

Petmate’s dog house is made out of structural foam which provides perfect level of insulation for any season. There’s also a roof vent that helps your Fido to breath better with continual air flow inside of the home. The house itself is very easy to setup – takes just minutes, and no tools are required at all. Check out all those customer reviews on Amazon from dog owners stoked about their pet’s new home.

See what others think:

Medium Dogloo Goes Catloo (read full Amazon review): “I bought this for the 3-4 cats that live on my porch, for the winter. I also got the body-heat mat for the inside, and the door (I’m reviewing those on their own product pages). I have uploaded a picture of the medium dogloo (Indigo Dog Home) with the door, and my cat Katrina…” 5 out of 5

10 Best Dog Houses as Alternatives

The above list of ten best dog houses should provide every pet owner with enough choice to find the ultimate best house for a dog. These were the best picks in terms of comfort, quality, and cost-to-value ratio. However, if you were unable to pick any house for your pet in the above list, I recommend you browsing through the below best pet houses for dogs as alternatives (click on the product to read more).

1. Large Dog House Lodge with Porch Deck
  2. Indoor Outdoor All Weather Doghouse
  3. Best Friends by Sheri Pet Igloo in Sherpa
  4. Petsfit Dog House
  5. MidWest Portable Tent Crate
  6. Suncast Dog House
  7. GigaTent Pet PopUp Tent with Fitted Foam Pad
  8. Best Pet Supplies Home Sweet Home Pet House
  9. Pet Squeak Porch Pups Dog House
  10. SKL Luxury High-end Double Pet House/black Dog Room

Now it’s your turn to pitch in and share. Have you tried any of these houses for dogs? How does your pooch like it, and does he stay inside all the time? Please share your observations with other pet owners in the comments below!

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts