Castor and pollux organix dog food review (adult, dry)

Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food Review Adult Dry

In the below Castor and Pollux Organix dog food review, I will share my experience with this dog food brand. For a science-based breakdown of this food, I recommend looking at NextGen Dog’s Organix dog food review where they look at all the ingredients separately and objectively.

Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food Review (Adult, Dry)Everyday more consumers are making a conscious choices of going “organic” and then reap the benefits of the change. Should the same be applied to diets of our dogs, cats and other pets? My research shows that yes, absolutely it should. I finally cave in and bought two bags of Castor and Pollux Organix dog food and to be honest, we can’t be happier.

EXTENSIVE BREAKDOWN: What is the Best Holistic Dog Food?

When it comes to healthy diet, it’s imperative to distinguish good and natural organic pet food from the regular stuff that only claims to be organic. Trust me, there are quite a few of these out there, but let’s leave that for later and first concern ourselves with the product at hand.

What are the benefits of organic foods?

In 2007, The Guardian wrote about one of the largest studies on organic foods and how they benefit people. Results showed that organic fruits and vegetables contain up to 40% more antioxidants than non-organic alternatives, and that the figure was upwards of 90% for organic milk. Another study conducted in 2011 further confirmed this.

Organic foods are produced according to certain production standards, meaning that they are grown without using the usual pesticides, artificial fertilizers or human waste, and that they were processed without the use of ionizing radiation or food additives. The livestock that organic meats come from are reared without the routine use of antibiotics and without the use of growth hormones.

So by now we already know the kind of benefits organic foods have for people (that’s why Whole Foods’ net income rose to $142mm in 2013) but rarely do we think of the benefits it can have for our pets. Here are some of the few you might expect your dog to experience from a nutritious, natural, healthy and organic diet:

1. Stronger immunity to diseases, better general health
2. Reduction in allergies
3. Improved life longevity and quality of living
4. Less problems with digesting
5. Improved skin and coat

Castor & Pollux: Company’s reputation

Castor&Pollux art

Many veterinarians and dog owners label Castor & Pollux Organix dog food products as a “one of the top choices” if you wish to feed your dog an organic diet. The company itself is known for their complete line of USDA certified organic pet food and have been picked as number #1 supplier of organic dog food by Natural News, an authority in providing reliable data on health science.

C&P’s: “We believe safe, high-quality nutrition leads to healthy, happy pets. It’s why ORGANIX® is the most complete line of USDA certified organic food for pets. It’s why Natural Ultramix uses real pieces of fruits and vegetables for dogs.

It’s not petfood. It’s food. For pets.

Castor and Pollux is an American company and is considered to be a leader in natural, organic petfood (or is it food for pets?) They use only quality proteins as the number one ingredient in all their products and they have different formulas for every different sized dog at every stage of life.

Read here how the company was created 20 years ago and established itself in the natural pet food circles.

Key Benefits of Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food

• Ingredients are 100% natural, organic and meet AAFCO nutrient requirements.
  • Regulated: Made in the USA, with love.
  • Suitable for adult dogs of any breed and any size.
  • Warranty: 100% unconditional guarantee.Castor-and-Pollux-Organix-Dog-Food-Review-USA
  • Absolutely no chemicals, artificial colors, preservatives, corn, wheat or soy.
  • Rated 4.6 stars on Amazon and 4.8 paws on Petco!

Full Castor and Pollux Organix Dog Food Review

Quick note first: If you’re switching from traditional dog food to organic brands, please help your dog adjust to his/her new diet gradually. The best way to accomplish this is to continue with traditional food but start adding Castor and Pollux Organix formula into the mix, more and more each time. By the end of the 2nd-3rd week, your dog should be adapted to 100% organic food.

It took me a while to understand what a massive impact natural foods had on the quality of my own life since I switched to them many years ago. Then it took me even longer time to realize that perhaps my pets could also enjoy an improved quality of life if supplied with organic dog food.

I switched to natural dog foods almost a year ago, and my dog loved it from the first sight. My main go-to brand is still Castor and Pollux Organix dry dog food adult formula, but I do use a few others.Results? Solid constant stools, almost no odor. The coat looks shinny-er (could it be placebo?) and it seems like the energy levels have improved significantly.

Kibble’s pellets are about the size of M&M candy, so even small dogs shouldn’t have any problem with these. They had them in larger size before but I believe those have been discontinued, which is good. In terms of the bag size itself, 25 lbs bags are the largest they currently carry. C&P, if you can hear me – I’d love to order 40-pound bags!

Unfortunately, very few brick-and-mortar pet stores stock this brand (or any organic brand for that matter). If in the end you decide to purchase this product, I highly recommend subscribing to Amazon’s regular deliveries (what a great feature!) You get an even better price for the product that way, and supplies are delivered hassle-free right to your doorstep.

Video: Castor & Pollux Organix for Dogs

Pros

Best-Castor-and-Pollux-Organix-Dog-Food-Reviews

Natural pet foods like C&P’s products never use poor quality grains and fillers nor extra additives and preservatives normally found in traditional dog food.

I would label organic pet diet as “the best method to rid your dog of skin and other allergies” without having to use a prescription medicine or any supplements.

Organic dog food like this one also provides top quality sources of protein and little grains that support your dog’s immune system to help it build resistance to skin infections.

The superior nutritional quality of real natural pet food can also make a huge difference to your canine’s digestive health. If your dog has frequent diarrhea or vomits often, making them “go organic” could bring a monumental difference.

I’ve noticed that because of the higher nutritional quality, my dog will eat less food. It seems as if they feel more satisfied eating a smaller amount of nutrient-dense food than they would if they ate a greater amount of food that contains bulk-fillers. I guess it works the same way as it does with us, people. Kind of balances the cost of the product, to be honest!

Another great benefit of using products similar to Castor and Pollux Organix dry dog food is more predictable bowel movements of your furry friend, with firm, less odorous stool. And then last but definitely not least is that it decreases your dog’ flatulence.

Veterinarians have said multiple times before that just as the quality of food that we eat affects our lives, it does the same for our dogs. What you feed your pet will directly relate to how they feel, look and act. By choosing to feed your pet real organic food, regardless of the brand, you will ensure a longer, happier, healthier life for them.

Cons

The only negative part of Castor & Pollux adult canine formula is the cost. At the time of this writing, Amazon offers the cheapest price of $58 per 25-pound bag (that’s $2.32 a pound). Compared to store brands and other traditional dog foods which you can get for less than $.75 per pound, that is quite a difference!

With that being said, something that we as dog owners have to keep in mind is that we always get what we pay for.

Production of food that has only the best quality organic ingredients obviously costs more for the manufacturer, therefore, the price is higher for the consumer. But while in cheaper brands you get more fillers and additives with less of the quality proteins, at least with Castor and Pollux’s Organix brand you know what you’re paying for. I certainly do!

Amazon customers’ rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

For more detailed information on the product I would advise you to read all customers’ reviews on the Amazon page – they tell a great deal about the pros and cons.

“Healthy dogs since I switched” (read the full Amazon review):I have been feeding my dogs this for about a year now and I am so impressed with how they have improved. Solid consistant stools with almost no odor. The dogs all have beautiful shiny coats even when they’re filthy from playing in the yard! Their eyes are bright and shiny and they all have great energy. I feed them less and they stay satisfied too!5 out of 5

“Nice organic food” (read the full Amazon review):There aren’t that many organic foods for dogs, and this offers the amount of protein and fat that’s recommended for my Bernese Mountain Dog. He’s always had soft stools and we’ve only given him Organix (but also his breed is known for soft stools from puppy up to adulthood) so we switched it up and are using half of the recommended dosage for this dry food mixed in with half of the recommended dosage of a raw-diet to make the stools solid – and it’s working for us!5 out of 5

“Healthy and happy puppy” (read the full Amazon review):My beagle, Copper, is two years old now and he’s had nothing but Castor & Pollux dog food. First the puppy variety and now the adult dog food. His vet raves about the condition of his teeth (no cleanings required yet!) and his coat is shiny and smooth. Copper clearly doesn’t mind the taste as he digs in right away when…5 out of 5

In-Stock-at-Amazon

Nutrition of Castor & Pollux Organix adult dry dog food

Let’s actually jump into the ingredients, shall we? Organic, free-range chicken is the first ingredient on their list. C&P also add organic brown rice and fresh organic vegetable and fruit purées that provide natural sources of vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and minerals. They also use organic quinoa, a nutrient-rich heritage grain, to provide a gluten-free source of dietary fiber.

Castor-and-Pollux-Organix-Dog-Food-Guaranteed-Analysis

Organic flax-seed is used as a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids which are great for your dog’s coat and skin. Surprisingly, you will also find glucosamine chondroitin and hydrochloride on the list, which are expensive on their own and greatly contribute to your dog’s joint health and mobility (subjects that were covered in the Dasuquin review).

Calories: 3,570 kcal ME/kg or 394.0 kcal ME/cup

Ingredients: Organic Chicken, Chicken Meal, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Peas, Organic Millet, Organic Oats, Chicken Fat (Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Salmon Meal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Organic Quinoa, Dried Egg Product, Organic Flaxseed, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Broccoli, Organic Pumpkin, Organic Pears, Salt, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Chondroitin Sulfate, Yeast Culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis, Fermentation Solubles, Rosemary Extract.

Disclaimer: All the organic ingredients are made without any chemical pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, antibiotics, added growth hormone, artificial preservatives, or synthetic fertilizers. The formula is also wheat, corn, and soy free which means it’s a great choice for dogs with allergies. Organix adult dog food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.

Directions and feeding guidelines

Please keep in mind that as good as certain organic dog foods are, the Castor and Pollux Organix formula cannot be the only diet for pregnant dogs or puppies that are still growing. Such cases usually require a variety in diets which should include different balances of micro and marco nutrients, calories and especially quality proteins.

Castor-and-Pollux-Organix-Dog-Food-Feeding-Guidelines

The amounts you should give to your dog vary based on their activity level, age, size, breed and even the environment. All of these can and should be taken into consideration for the best result. Please always follow feeding guidelines shown above.

VIDEO: Organic and Natural dog food explained

So is it worth it?

As I’m sure you already know, as dog owners, we must always remember that good quality kibble or canned food alone will not ensure a 100% healthy life for our pets. We should monitor what and how much our canines eat, while also making sure that they always get enough exercise and are being checked out by the vet on a regular basis.

With that being said, is Castor and Pollux Organix dog food adult formula worth your money?

If you can afford a few additional bucks to spend on your pet food, then yes, most definitely! Whether your dog requires a special diet or you just want to keep them happier and healthier a little longer, all the evidence points to this being a great choice of organic dog food. Dogs seem to love the flavor and the health benefits are amazing.

There are a few other (not too many, unfortunately) natural organic pet food brands on the market, and most of them are about the same price or more expensive than Castor & Pollux’s Organix, but I haven’t seen them carry the kind of reputation that C&P has.

Check-Amazon-Price

What your dog gets with this is plenty of vitamins and minerals to keep him/her healthy and active. The formula works great for any size or breed of adult dogs all the way through seniority, while other brands only offer formulas that are good for certain ages or certain sizes of dogs.

I say definitely give it a shot and if you don’t like it – or rather your dog still doesn’t – give them a call or send an email (they offer 100% unconditional money-back guarantee through Amazon). Although, I can hardly see that ever happening.

Here’s to happy & healthy dogs!

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts