Diy heart-shaped valentine cookies just for dogs!

These cookies are a recipe my husband (a vet tech) and I developed to give our own dogs a special Valentine’s Day treat! They are made with all the things dogs love, like peanut butter and pumpkin, and even have pink icing that is naturally colored with beet juice! They are a snap to make and we are sure your dogs will love them! I’m taking a bunch to my classmates in agility class as Valentines – they are a perfect gift for the dog lover in your life!

Ingredients

• 3 cups flour (I use a gluten free blend) + extra for rolling out dough
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup Peanut Butter (make sure it does not contain artificial sweeteners such as xylitol!)
  • 1 cup Pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1-2 cups Non-fat plain yogurt
  • 1 can beets in water (for juice, check to make sure no salt was added)

vdaycookieingredients

You will also need:

• A handheld or stand mixer (I use both, but it’s just a preference thing)
  • The usual measuring cups
  • Cling wrap
  • Heart-shaped cookie cutter
  • Cookie sheet
  • Parchment paper
  • Board for rolling out dough
  • Rolling pin
  • Cooling rack

How To Make Valentine’s Day Dog Cookies

Step 1. Combine all the flour (3 cups), eggs, peanut butter and pumpkin into mixing bowl. Mix until combined.

vdaycookiestep1

Step 2. Add 1/2 cup water until soft dough is formed. Dough will be sticky.

Video: 5 DIY Valentine's Day Gifts and Room Decor Ideas

Licking the Peanut Butter measuring cup!
Licking the Peanut Butter measuring cup!

Step 3. Form dough into 3 or so medium-sized balls and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours in freezer.

vdaycookieStep3

Step 4. Put some flour on your rolling surface and place one of the balls in the center. Roll out with rolling pin until it’s approximately 1/4” thick.

Tip: the dough will get sticky because of the peanut butter. Keeping it floured will help it not stick to the board, your pin, or you!

vdaycookieStep4

Step 5. Cut into heart shapes and place on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 12 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies.

vdaycookieStep5

Video: DIY Heart Shaped Cupcakes

vdaycookiestep5a

Step 6. Cool cookies on racks.

Video: Valentines Marble CupCakes & Heart Shaped Cookies | LittleKiva

Step 7. When cookies are cool, combine yogurt and beet juice in mixing bowl (I used handheld for this part) and beat until whipped. The amount will depend on how thick you want your icing and color. 1 ½ cups of yogurt will cover roughly two dozen medium sized cookies. Beat until thickened and you can form peaks. Let sit for about 10 minutes to thicken.

Tip: For the beet juice, to get the medium pink I used 1 tablespoon of beet juice for 1 1/2 cup yogurt. You can add more or less to get the color you want.

vdaycookiestep7

Step 8. Smooth onto cookies. Chill for several hours in the fridge. For faster hardening, place in freezer.

vdaycookiesStep8

All done! They make great Valentine’s Day Gifts – so pretty!

vdaycookies finished

Now, it’s time for the pups to enjoy!

vdaycookiefinished3

Note: Keeping cookies refrigerated will keep them fresher, longer. Enjoy within a week.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts