Dog abandoned in nyc subway station finally gets help from caring commuter

A dog was tied to a rail in a New York City subway station and left, alone, for more than an hour.

Perhaps passers-by didn’t notice, or didn’t realize the pup had been abandoned. Maybe they simply didn’t care. That is, until one woman stopped to help.

The woman’s name is Sarah Borok according to The Dodo, and when she spotted the pooch, tied to a rail on a leash attached to a prong collar, she realized something wasn’t right. She called the police who then contacted animal control, and all the while, stayed by the pup’s side.

Rough morning at Atlantic Terminal. Called the cops on this abandoned, injured, malnourished girl. So scared. So pathetic. So so so beautiful,” Borok posted on her Instagram @iliket.

Although she’s only about 2-years-old, the pup, who’s been named Betsey, has already had multiple litters. It appears that she is the victim of backyard breeding, and after being deemed “useless,” was dumped in the subway station.

“It is believed that this girl spent her life on concrete, not walked and malnourished. She has significant and painful damage on her paw pads, drastically overgrown nails, significant muscle loss, and bloating,” Borok wrote.

She also posted a desperate plea to get Betsey placed in foster care. The pooch began to develop an upper respiratory infection, and had she been left in the shelter, she probably would have been euthanized.

“I am not allowed to have her in my home so she needs YOU. I will cover any necessary medical costs. I will transport her to you,” Borok wrote on Instagram.

Thankfully, local rescue Mr. Bones & Co. stepped in to help find Betsey a temporary foster home for now, and hopefully, a forever home before long!

“She doesn’t know anything about walking, or being a dog really, but thanks to @mrbonesandco, there is a dedicated network of good samaritans and professionals working tirelessly to coordinate the best possible environment for her,” Borok posted.

The little girl is in a temporary foster home while she undergoes medical treatments, and will be relocated to a verrrry special place shortly (stay tuned),” Borok wrote.

In order to help her ease into the home that she deserves, Betsey’s foster mom is teaching her house and crate training, as well as basic commands, like how to sit and “touch.”

The sweet pooch is adjusting nicely to life as a loved furry family member rather than a breeding machine. Although she’s got some learning to do, her friendly and loving personality comes completely naturally!

Having bonded with Betsey, Borok even visited her new friend at her short-term home.

“This has been possibly the most moving experience of my life,” Borok wrote on a post.

If you’re interested in providing a long-term foster or forever home for Betsey, please visit mrbonesandco.org.

Thanks to the team of people who are going above and beyond the find the perfect forever home for Betsey, as well as Sarah Borok who went out of her way to make sure this beautiful girl is safe and loved. We wish you all the best!

(h/t: People Pets)

Reviews & Comments

Related posts