Elite little dog inground fence pig00-10773 review

Elite Little Dog Inground Fence PIG00-10773 Review

We have a backyard, we have an active dog, and we needed a solution. Elite Little Dog inground fence PIG00-10773 system seemed like one of the best options available based on customer reviews, so I went ahead and got this one. Now, let’s see if it’s any good.

ATTENTION, dear dog owner. Before you purchase ANY type of electric shock collar or electric fences for your dogs, please take a look at the following articles and strongly consider conclusions drawn by scientific evidence and dog experts:

Video: PetSafe Little Dog PIG00-10773 Review

• The end for shock collars?
  • Electronic training collars present welfare risk to pet dogs
  • Studies on shock collars on dogs

Electric dog training collars have been receiving some heat from dog owners as of late. However, many dog trainers and experts have advocated the use of these shock collars on dogs as long as you purchase a high quality collar and learn how to use it properly. This is key in ensuring that your pet will never be harmed.

Check-Amazon-Price

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the in-ground fence supports a variety of features. The 4 electro-static correction levels were more than enough to help me train my dog. My Shih Tzu was army-trained within a week!

Elite Little Dog inground fence Specifications

1. 4 levels of electro-static correction: I liked that I could choose any 1 of the 4 correction levels to train my dog. I’ve only had to ‘correct’ my pup once because the tone-only warning mode did a good job of making her realize when she was about to cross the boundaries.
  2. Waterproof receiver-collar: I leave the collar on at all times when necessary. That has never caused any problems. I don’t have to worry about my dog on rainy days either!
  3. Transmitter with surge protection: The transmitter is sleek, small and light. I would carry it around with me at all times. The manufacturers have done an excellent job by introducing surge protection technology. I never have to worry about the transmitter getting affected by weather conditions.
  4. 50 boundary flags: I’m able to provide my dog with visual aids so she is aware of her boundaries. I found these to be very useful – she’s memorized where she can and cannot go.
  5. 500 feet of wire: You can set up your boundaries in any shape. If you wish to increase the amount of space available to your dog, simply add more wire. Dig the wire 1-3 inches into the ground so it can work effectively. I found that digging it 1 inch into the ground worked pretty.
  6. Electric dog fence sod staples: These staples hold the wire in place. I’ve used these and I must say they do a good job at doing so. Interestingly, not every in-ground dog fence system comes with them.
  7. Instruction manual: The manual is actually pretty useful – it explains everything there is to know about the installation process. I just needed to read through it once and managed to set up the whole thing in a couple of hours (not sure how it took others a whole day).

Elite Little Dog inground fence PIG00-10773 Review

Elite-Little-Dog-In-ground-Fence-PIG00-10773-Review

I think anyone who happens to be reading this knows how difficult it can be to control your dog. As lovable as dogs are, they can also be very difficult to take care of and keeping a watch on your dog at all times rather than relax and enjoy yourself him/her isn’t exactly fun. Also, the constant fear and thought of where your dog might be, when you’re out of your house, just drives every dog owner crazy!

But this really did prove to be just the product I needed to train my dog. I liked that it was easy to set up. Trust me, when I say that I’m not tech-savvy, I actually mean it! I was a little skeptical about buying it at first because I thought I’d have to call someone to install it for me. However, I was glad that I could do so myself. I just needed to read through the instruction manual and managed to set everything up on my own.

Regardless of what kind of dog you may have, the thought of our dog jumping on someone or running away occasionally haunts some of us, right? The good news is that dog products like these are here to help us get rid of that fear. To my relief, Elite Little Dog inground fence turned out to be a good example of that. You know that dogs are like little babies: they want to poke their noses around everywhere and their curiosity’s aroused by the smallest things. In-ground fences help you prevent your canines from hurting themselves.

Some dog lovers will occasionally be put off by this option for “security” since it looks too complicated. Let me tell you this right now: there’s nothing complicated about the process of installing in-ground dog fences and it won’t require you to rack your brains. Please see the directions on how to use Elite Little Dog inground fence PIG00-10773 system specifically in the manual (link below).

Made by Petsafe, PIG00-10773 system comes with a collar that you must put around the dog’s neck. The collar is safe, humane and comfortable so you won’t have to worry — it doesn’t hurt your dog, it doesn’t make him/her feel uncomfortable. It’s also water-proof so you can keep it around your dog’s neck even in the most extreme weather conditions (although, I don’t know why you would want that).

The collar is what teaches the dog where he/she can or cannot go. This particular in-ground dog fence has 4 static corrections, and every time your dog steps out of the Safe Zone you’ve created for it, the collar would make an audible sound so that your dog knows that it must not go beyond a certain point.

I was a little skeptical about the product at first because on some occasions (cats?), dogs tend to just run past anything when they are focused on their goal, and an audible tone won’t be enough to stop them or to make them realize that they need to step back. However, I was proved wrong, as a lot of other dog owners.

The truth is, majority of dogs, once they realize what the boundaries are, will instinctively stay within that Safe Zone and not run past it, even if it’s a cat whose dark silhouette is now disappearing in the horizon. In my personal opinion, this is just the product that anyone with a small to medium dog needs. It is easy to use and install.

In addition to this, you could make use of boundary flags that come with the in-ground fence, so your dog is visually aware of its limits as well. You are likely to see a difference in your dog’s habits in just a few days.

Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Craig M. Schmeiser’s review (more reviews): “I’ve heard many comments about the RFA-188 battery in the collar not lasting very long so I ordered a couple spares, but I’m still on the original battery and it seems to be holding up great. The module doesn’t hang at the bottom of her neck the way you think it would. It seems to work its way up around to the side of her neck. The good news is, it seems to work just as well no matter where it ends up. It is so nice to see our dog running loose in the yard instead of constantly getting her rope all tangled. She really enjoys her freedom. I highly recommend this product. Update: We’ve had the fence for 14 months now and are still on the original battery! Can’t say enough good things about the quality of the system and how well it works for our pet.”

Janbird65’s review (more reviews): “I did test the collar on myself. After all, I am the parent and need to know how it feels. It is a shock not unlike what you would receive from a spark plug. Anyone who has worked on mowers knows that tingle. I felt the shock was more startling than painful. It makes you reflexively pull back, but there is no pain in my opinion. Maybe I have a different definition of pain. I can absolutely say there is no lingering pain. I have heard of collars that cause pain much like a taser, but not this collar. I know because I tried it on myself. In summary… well worth the money and hard work of installation. I was very worried about all that money and hard work going to waste. Not now, I am very happy. Please take your time with your dog and be patient. Mine took about 10 shocks, only 2 on the third setting. The fence was installed 4 weeks ago by me.

Eki’s review (more reviews): “Installation was a breeze. If you read and understand the directions, you will have no problems at all. Twisting the wire is tricky so it may not hurt to purchase a roll of already twisted wire. Training the dogs ~ well that depends on the dog. From the reviews I read, some dogs figure it out real quick (and minimal training is required). Our dogs were like that. Some dogs may take a little longer to adjust. In any case, it isn’t a problem with the system (the system is great) and some extra attention may need to be given to more stubborn dogs. In sum, this system works and is well worth the investment!

In-Stock-at-Amazon

What’s in the package?

The package came with the following:

• 1 receiver collar
  • 1 transmitter
  • 50 boundary flags
  • 500 feet of wire
  • 1 mounting bracket
  • 1 surge protector
  • 1 Instruction Manual

All of these were packed neatly into one box.

How to use Petsafe Elite Little Dog inground fence

Elite-Little-Dog-Inground-Fence-PIG00-10773-Review-1

For a more visual and detailed explanation, please see the video towards the end of this review.

You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to use this product. All you need to do is to dig the wire 1-3 inches into the ground. When doing so, consider the Zones that your pet likes to play around in and you can dig the wire into the ground around these areas.

Once this is done, attach the wire to the transmitter and cover the wire and put the collar around your dog’s neck after you have set the electro-static correction level. Always ensure that the transmitter is kept in a safe and dry area.

User manual: Download Elite Little Dog PIG00-10773 user manual from here.

When I saw the boundary flags I felt that they wouldn’t be of much use. However, these flags are actually pretty amazing. The visual aids helped me train my dog fast. She knows exactly where she can go and what areas to stay away from. I would insist that dog owners make use of the 50 boundary flags rather than using the collar right away. These flags would help you train your dog within a few days.

The receiver-collar is what ‘controls’ your dog. It comes with 4 electro-static levels and a tone-only mode. Try using the tone-only mode first. If this doesn’t work for your dog, then you can adjust the electro-static correction levels on the collar.

I’ve set the electro-static correction level at 2 for my dog and I’ve managed to train her quite well. If your dog is mild-tempered, set it at level 1 or 2. Hyper dogs can be trained well at electro-static levels 3 and 4.

As I mentioned above, she only crossed the boundary once, but that was the first and the last time she did so. How strong the electro-static levels might be for your dog will depend entirely on the breed and dog’s temperament.

Since the collar is water-proof, I am happy to let her out on rainy days. I loved that the transmitter came with surge protection technology. I was in search of a collar that wouldn’t get affected by weather conditions. What’s the point of an in-ground dog fence if it’s going to get affected by a storm and showers? I was afraid that the product might get ruined, but it still works as well after months of using it.

Factors that need to be taken into account

Elite-Little-Dog-Inground-Fence-PIG00-10773

The Elite Little Dog in-ground fence is great for training little dogs. However, there are certain things that should you should keep in mind.

Batteries. Unfortunately, the batteries that come in the package were not rechargeable. However, you can switch them for rechargeable ones, but they won’t be from Petsafe. Also, the batteries last for, literally, years – see Amazon reviews.

Range. The range might not be big enough for those of you who have dogs that are a lot more hyperactive than one could expect them to be, and those who have mansion-like backyards. Sorry guys, you can afford to buy ten of these anyway.

Video: PetSafe Little Dog In-Ground Fence

Conclusion: Should you buy it?

In all honesty, I have been very pleased with Petsafe’s Elite Little Dog fence. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it the perfect system for my dog (I mentioned the flaws), but it comes very close- plus, there’s no better product on the market, as far as I’m aware. It works like a charm and the best part is that it is so easy to install and use. And trust me, if I could install Elite Pet Dog fence, anyone can. The instruction manual is the only thing you need to install the system.

Another reason that I decided to buy this fence was that I could set the boundaries. I didn’t have to worry about the ‘radius’ of the boundaries. Other fences had circular parameters – I’m not too good at physics or math so these types restrictions would drive me and my dogs crazy!

Elite Little Dog price was fair and even though I was a little skeptical about it at first, I’m not any more. I will also be the first one to admit that that I expected for the product to break down after 2-3 months since I haven’t been too lucky with electronic devices in the past. Fortunately, I’ve had the Elite Little Dog in-ground fence for 6 months now (and only now am I writing this review). I can tell you that this dog fence has seen quite a few rainfalls in the past 6 months but its quality or utility hasn’t been compromised yet.

Oh, and I’ve barely ever had to use the leash since I bought this product. In fact, I don’t even remember the last time I had to use one on my dog.

One of the only things I didn’t like about the PIG00-10773 model was that its batteries could not be recharged. My dog is quite active and she likes to go outside during the day. Since the product supports so many great features I expected it to come with rechargeable batteries. I was disappointed that it did not, although the original set is still going strong (6 months in). Other than that, I would recommend the product to anyone with a small or medium sized dog!

After considering pros and cons of the product, the answer whether I would recommend it is a definite yes. If you have a small to medium sized dog, this is going to work wonders in your front or back yard. Your dog will know his/her boundaries, that way you’ll keep your pets safe and secure. Good job, Petsafe!

Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links, meaning that Top Dog Tips earns a commission if you purchase an item using any of these links. Please note that the above content is NOT a review of products but rather a compilation of items that have been rated and evaluated by customers who used them. We do NOT endorse any of the products and have not tested the items listed above, and we strongly urge you to do your own research before buying any pet supplies mentioned on this website.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts