Halo cat food review: what you need to know

Lilo recently started being a bit picky with her food, it`s a phase she tends to go through from time to time. Much like feeding ourselves, we have to pay attention to what we`re feeding our pets if we want them to enjoy optimum health. Is it easily digestible? Is it made of healthy ingredients or full of unreadable ingredients? What kinds of meat are in their cat food? I recently happened upon Halo Cat Food at the supermarket and thought I would do a little research into it.

An Introduction to the Halo Brand

A lot of us cat owners know how important it is to feed our cats right, and Halo seems to understand that just as well as we do. The Halo brand includes whole meats rather than rendered meats like chicken meal or by-product in order to help our cats digest easier.

halo stew

Cat owners with cats that suffer from digestion problems take note! Not to mention the real salmon, chicken, lamp, turkey, and beef which are slow cooked naturally to provide more nutrition with healthy vegetables and grains. There are even probiotics, vitamins, and minerals, without anything artificial. Also, did you know it is partially owned by Ellen DeGeneres and has been around for an impressive more than 25 years.

Also Read: Why you should be feeding your cat these high fiber brands​

Who Makes Halo Cat Food?

As you know by now, Halo cat food is made of natural ingredients without by-products, artificial colors or preservatives, or hormones. It is of course a company rather than a small operation, but Halo still puts their utmost effort into every bag.

This cat food is so natural that the meat in it is even considered safe enough for humans to eat - not that we tried! As for where it’s manufactured, they’re from the great state of Florida. Halo cat food isn’t just dry kibble though: they have many options for your picky cat friend!

Watch how Halo benefits Diabetic Cats

Halo Spot`s Stew Natural Dry Cat Food

It’s called “stew” because of all the natural and healthy ingredients, although you can be sure that your cat is eating dry food here. Only pure and natural ingredients are involved in this one of a kind dry food for cats, including healthy probiotics and vitamins for your cat’s overall health. Named for the first cat that inspired the leap into healthy ingredients, Halo Spot’s Stew is more than just the ordinary cat food.

Video: Review of Halo Spot's Stew Cat Food - Ep12 of Steven the Pet Man: The Truth in Pet Food

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• Comes with lots of beneficial vitamins, minerals and other nutrients to support your cat`s health and development
  • No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, including corn, wheat, wheat gluten, or rendered meats are present
  • Chicken is at the top of the ingredient list!
  • Contains chelated minerals to help the nutrients absorb easier

Cons:

• Eggs are the third ingredient, which is quite high despite how nutritious they are. If you need more meats, you might need to look elsewhere.
  • There`s been a slight price increase recently but that hasn`t stopped buyers who really favor this brand for their cat.

Ingredients

Like all the Halo cat foods, the stew is made from all natural ingredients. Chicken is at the top of the list, followed by pea protein, whole dry eggs, oats, pearled barley, and vegetable broth. Chicken fat, liver, and salmon are included later on in the list along with minerals like Vitamin A, D3, and E supplement.

halo-spots-stew

Chicken, pea protein, whole dry eggs, oats, pearled barley, vegetable broth, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), pea flour, chicken liver, salmon, flaxseed, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea fiber, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries, green beans, carrots, cranberries, zucchini, alfalfa, inulin, calcium sulfate, potassium chloride, taurine, salt, folic acid, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, cobalt proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, choline bitartrate, niacin, pantothenic acid, ascorbic acid, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacterium longum, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus plantarum, calcium iodate, sodium selenite

Check Latest Price & More Reviews Here

Halo Spot`s Stew Cat Formula Grain-Free Hearty Chicken recipe

Many pets have problems digesting grains, which is why you might be a little suspicious of the normal cat foods. Luckily for you then, Halo cat food has grain-free foods as well, which still have all the healthy ingredients. This hearty chicken recipe just might have the meats and vegetables you’re looking for, without the hassle of stomach problems.

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• Real meat from chicken, poultry, lamb, and fish are present, rather than meal.
  • Boosted with beneficial vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to support your cat`s health and development
  • Butcher quality chicken is at the top of the ingredient list!
  • No grains are included in the plethora of other healthy ingredients

Video: HALO Cat Food, HALO Dog Food, Pet Treats, Tarpon Springs, Palm Harbor FL

Cons:

• Eggs are the second ingredient, which is quite high despite how nutritious they are. If you need more meats, you might need to look elsewhere.
  • The high fiber in the food might not be good for cats with urinary issues.

Ingredients

The ingredients are so healthy in Halo’s cat food that they’re quite similar between different types. Just like the stew, the grain-free food has chicken, eggs, pea protein, vegetable broth, and chicken fat. The main difference is that there are no grains in this food, so for cats with digestive issues, it’s a must!

Chicken, Eggs, Pea Protein, Vegetable Broth, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Whole Peas, Chicken Liver, Flax seed, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Green Beans, Carrots, Blueberries, Alfalfa, Cranberries, Zucchini, Calcium Sulfate, DL- Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Inulin, Salt, Vitamins (Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Magnesium Proteniate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product.​

Check Latest Price & More Reviews

Halo Cat Food Recall

Halo Cat Food has been recalled before in late October 2015. They voluntarily recalled a specific product due to potential mold concerns. However, the incident didn`t seem to affect the general opinion of the brand. Note that it was a potential concern and not an actual finding. In my opinion, I think it was a responsible thing for the brand to do the recall voluntarily for it. I personally don`t think it reflects anything majorly negative about the brand.

Also Read: Our review on Soulistic Cat Food Brand​

What People Think of Halo In General

As with any product, there’s some debate on whether people really like it or not. Some people say that their cats love it and come running every time she opens a bag. I find that my cat has less waste after eating it and the food is actually so natural that it even smells like regular human food. Many cats with digestive issues have been helped by this food as their weight stabilizes and the get their energy back thanks to a healthy diet. How good is halo cat food?

Some people do talk about the wet food and how their cats don’t like to eat the wet and mushy stuff, especially the large chunks of peas. On top of this, there’s plenty of debate over vegetables and whether they’re necessary. In my opinion - why not? They can add extra nutrition.

My cat, like many others, had been known to experience some digestive issues. When I looked at the food I’d been giving her, I had to wonder if it was the best for him. Was it healthy and digestible? So when I happened upon this brand, I was amazed at how healthy and delicious it seemed. I hope you found this halo food review informative and let me know if you do decide to try it for your cat. Read about the best dry or wet kitten food.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts