How to put on a dog harness 101: a video of the step-by-step process

Most dog owners think they know how to put on a dog harness. Sadly, the majority don’t do it right. Without the proper fit, a dog could get loose or become injured. Harnesses for dogs that are too tight could restrict the animal’s range of motion, making it impossible to walk comfortably.

When used properly, dog harnesses are much safer than traditional dog collars, and they are more comfortable for your canine companion as well. Harnesses can be a great tool to use while leash training your dog, and they come in many different styles with features for hiking, running and driving in the car.

How To Put On A Dog Harness 101No matter which type of dog harness you purchase – you need to make sure that it is fit properly on your dog.

Video: PetChampion - Step in Harness: How To

As you’ll see in my video above, there are two types of traditional walking harnesses for dogs. You can also buy a dog harnesses that help to stop your dog from pulling on a leash, but they are all different and should be used specifically according to the directions.

Most of these dog harnesses are effective because they put pressure on a certain area of your dog’s body, like the snout or hind legs. If you don’t fit them according the guidelines on the packaging, your dog could suffer a severe injury.

For the purpose of this video on how to put on a dog harness, I focused on over-the-head harnesses and step-into harnesses. They are both used for walking dogs on a leash, and they perform the exact same function. You’ll need to choose the type of dog harness that you prefer, and the one that is most comfortable and safe for your Fido.

RECOMMENDED READ: The Best Dog Harness Review

How To Put On A Dog Harness 101: A Step by Step Video of the Process

How To Put On A Dog Harness

Video: How to put a step-through harness on a dog:

Step-into dog harness

In my video above, you’ll see my pooch Saddie model how to put on a step-into dog harness. She wasn’t being very cooperative in the heat, but at least you can see how to do it.

How to do it?

The first thing you’ll need to do is check to see if your dog’s harness is marked for right and left side. Some aren’t, but if yours is then you’ll need to make sure each leg gets in the proper hole.

When learning how to put on a dog harness, the easiest thing to do is just lie the harness flat on the ground.

Walk your dog over to the harness and place each paw in the holes so he is standing directly over the harness.

Then pull it up and around his chest and buckle it over his back or on the side (depending on the type of dog harness that you have).

Over-the-head dog harness

Over-the-head dog harnesses are much simpler. This is the type that I personally prefer, as it is easier for me and for my dog.

In the above video, you’ll see our Beagle, Molly, model this type of harness. I think that generally, learning how to put on a dog harness is much easier with an over-the-head harness like this one.

How to do it?

Start by unbuckling the harness. If you can’t figure out which hole your dog’s head is supposed to go through, just look at the instructions that came with the product.

Some of the pet harnesses can be a bit tricky, but the D-ring should be positioned on your dog’s back and/or chest.

Now, all you have to do is slide the harness over your dog’s head and buckle it on his side.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts