How to stop dogs from shedding 101: a step-by-step video guide

Video: How Can I Prevent and Reduce Shedding?

Everyone wants to know how to stop dogs from shedding, but the sad truth is that it can’t be done. You’ll never be able to remove every loose hair, and even if you could, more would grow in its place. The good news for dog owners is that there are ways to help drastically reduce shedding, and the easiest of those is by using a deshedding tool.

Video: Popular Videos - Coat & Moulting

Deshedding tools can reduce the amount of hair that your dog sheds by up to 90%! No amount of bathing or dietary supplements will give you those results. Regular grooming is the only way to save your furniture, carpets and clothing from being overrun with dog hair.

RECOMMENDED: FURminator vs DakPets vs Magic Pro Deshedding Tool Battle

How To Stop Dog SheddingDeshedding tools are very common. They can be found in any pet store, and you’ll usually find a variety to choose from.

They make deshedding tools for different coat types and lengths, along with tools for different sizes of dogs. They aren’t all made equally, so be sure to do a little research before making your selection.

Video: How to Prevent Excessive Shedding in Dogs

You need to select a tool that will meet your dog’s individual needs. As I explain in my video guide, if your dog has a double coat, wiry fur or long locks, you need to buy a deshedding tool that is specifically designed for his type of coat. You also want to make sure that you’re buying a product that is safe and effective.

I recommend shopping around online first, even if you prefer to buy your products in a local store. Research the right product for your dog, read customer reviews and visit the manufacturers website. When you find the right product for your needs, you can stop into your local pet store and pick one up.

How To Stop Dogs From Shedding 101

How to stop dogs from shedding

1. Preparation

When learning about how to stop dogs from shedding, you have to understand a deshedding tool isn’t going to do all the work. The tool is a HUGE help, but you’ll need to use it properly or you won’t get the results you’re anticipating. Most of the poor reviews that these products receive are simply due to pet owners who don’t read the instructions or don’t get the right type of dog brush.

The best time to use a deshedding tool for dogs is after a bath.Washing your dog releases a lot of the loose fur that is stuck in his coat. DO NOT brush your dog when his coat is still wet! Make sure his coat is 100% dry before brushing him with a deshedding tool.

You also want to make sure you give your dog a brush through with his regular grooming brush. A pin and bristle brush will work for most dogs. This is to ensure that there are no mats or tangles in his coat. I mention this in my video, as it is very important!

Reviews & Comments

Related posts