Interview: should children help train the family dog?

Video: Ryan's toy review

Should children help train the family dogShould children help train the family dog? This is a question that many pet owners ask themselves. Some are nervous that the dog will not listen to the child, while others are concerned that the dog will be too much for the child to handle. Honestly, letting your child help train the family dog will be better for both of them, and it will make things easier for you too!

Video: Will Smith on His Deaf Cat

This week I was able to speak with Melissa Shamblott, co-founder of Dog Camp for KIDS!TM. She spoke with me about the importance of allowing your child to work with your dog. There are many benefits for both the dog and the child, which is exactly what her camp is focused on.

The 4-day summer camp for kids accepts children from 5-13-years-old. The children are broken into age groups with separate groupings for 5 to 8-year-olds and 9 to 13-year-olds. There is also an Advanced Camp option for ages 8-13 who have prior dog camp experience.

Video: Ryan toy review

Every day the children practice obedience control and dog safety. They get to participate in a fun dog sport and make a dog-related craft. The children learn new things about the canine species throughout the week, which helps them to better understand their pet. Each week they are visited by guest speakers to learn about jobs with dogs and working dogs as well.

Interview: Should Children Help Train the Family Dog?

It actually turns out that Melissa and I have a lot in common. We both earned degrees in elementary education. We loved our work with children, but felt terrible about leaving our dogs at home by themselves all day.

I decided to become a writer and stay home with my dogs and my children during the day. Melissa decided to combine her two loves into a wonderful idea for a kids summer camp program that would also involve their canine companions. What a great idea!

Should Children Help Train the Family Dog

It all started more than 8 years ago when Melissa and her husband decided it was time to get their first family dog. They worked with a dog trainer named Maureen Haggerty, and Melissa ended up staying in touch with her over the years.

Video: CHILDREN'S MUSEUM NYC Family Fun for Kids Indoor Play Area Learning Chidren Playground Kids Toys

Haggerty eventually purchased a large plot of land that she had hoped to turn into some kind of sport park. She knew that Melissa had a passion for children, and as the project continued to develop the pair realized they may be able to work together to create something amazing for kids and dogs.

Of course, dogs that come to camp must be well socialized with children and other dogs. Not every family has a dog that fits that bill, and some children really love dogs but their family isn’t allowed to have one for one reason or another. These children can still participate in Dog Camp for KIDS!TM.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts