Recipe: beef and pork crock pot dog food

Video: Beef and Rice Crock Pot Dog Food Recipe

Preparing dog food in a slow cooker is simple and fast. You can add the ingredients in the morning, leave for work, and your pup will have a delicious, fresh meal by the time you come home. This beef and pork recipe is sure to please even the most picky palate.

Many owners don’t have the extra time to prepare homemade dog food for their canine companions. Of course there is still a bit of prep work, but using a crock pot makes it possible for even the busiest dog owner to feed their dog a homemade diet.

Feeding a homemade diet for dogs allows you to have complete control over what your dog eats. You can choose the quality and type of ingredients used, and you can prepare them exactly how you want to.

MORE VIDEOS: Homemade Dog Food & Treats Recipes

Beef and Pork Crock Pot Dog Food Recipe

Ingredients

• 1.5 cups water
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 4 lbs. protein source (I used 1 lb. ground beef and 3 lbs. ground pork)
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 large apple (cubed)
  • 1 cup kale (chopped)
  • 1 large sweet potato (cubed)
  • 2 large carrots (cut into chunks)

Directions

As with most slow cooker recipes, this one is very simple to make. It takes me about 15 minutes to cut up all the fruits and vegetables for this recipe, and that’s all the work you need to do.

Video: How to make Pork Veggie Dumplings from Scratch in Heart recipes

Just add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and stir the dog food occasionally as it cooks. You can cook this recipe for 4 hours on the ‘high’ setting or 7 hours on the ‘low’ setting.

As I explain in my video guide, I usually use frozen meat in my crock pot recipes. It saves me the time of defrosting the meat, and it won’t change the taste or texture of the food at all. Just add about 30-45 minutes to your cook time if you use frozen meat.

FURTHER READING: Pros and Cons of the BARF Diet for Dogs

Homemade dog food is the best option for owners of pets with food allergies or sensitive bellies. You can substitute ingredients that your dog enjoys and cater the recipes that you feed to your dog’s health and nutritional needs.

It’s also a great option for pet parents on a budget that want to their feed their Fido a top quality food. As I discuss in my video guide, you can buy protein in bulk and substitute what you have in your freezer so you don’t need to buy additional ingredients.

You can also select fruits and vegetables that are in season or that you grow yourself. Just be careful about the ingredients you choose. Make sure they are safe for canines before including them in your recipe.

Once your beef and pork crock pot dog food is done cooking, you can feed it to your pooch as soon as it cools. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days, or you can freeze them and they’ll keep for 8-10 weeks.

FULL GUIDE: How To Make Homemade Dog Food 101

Reviews & Comments

Related posts