Review: paw5 puzzle feeder for dogs

At one point in time, all dogs were wild. As man domesticated them, we changed many things about their lifestyle. Perhaps the biggest thing that we have changed over time is their diet and the way they get their meals. Your dog’s natural instinct is to search and work hard to find his food, and the PAW5 Puzzle Feeder allows him to feed that instinct (no pun intended).

Video: PAW5 Puzzle Feeder

PAW5 Puzzle Feeder for Dogs ReviewThe greatest benefit of this doggy Puzzle Feeder from PAW5 is that it will drastically increase the time it takes your dog to eat his meal or treats. If your pet tends to gulp his food down quickly, you need to find a way to slow him down. Eating too quickly is not good for your dog’s digestion, and it is the leading cause of bloat in canines.

Puzzle feeders are also a great option for entertaining and motivating dogs. If you’ve got a young dog with endless energy, a slow feeder will help him burn some of that energy in a constructive way. If you have a senior pet, a lazy dog or a pet that is recovering from an injury and cannot exercise, a product like this dog Puzzle Feeder from PAW5 will motivate him to get up off the couch.

PAW5 Puzzle Feeder for Dogs Review

We’ve used a lot of puzzle feeders. Our chocolate lab, Saddie, is a quite the glutten. She’ll eat anything and loves to chow down at record speed. I know how bad it is for her to do that, so I try to curb her poor eating habits by using products that force her to slow down.

We tried the DIY method of putting tennis balls in her food dish, but she quickly figured that out and pulled the tennis balls out before even touching her food. Then she could gulp her food just as quickly as before. She may be a pig, but she’s very smart!

Puzzle feeders, like this one from Paw5 work really well with her. Not only do they slow her down, but they also burn some of that extra energy that Labradors are known for. All three of our dogs grasped the concept of this puzzle feeder very quickly. They can usually empty it in about 15-20 minutes.

One thing to note about this feeder is that the simple design makes it much more suitable for dogs with little or no experience with these types of products. If your dog knows what he’s doing he’ll figure it out very quickly!

We have some puzzle feeders and treat dispensing dog toys that take our dogs more than half an hour to empty. As you can see in my video, there is a way to adjust the difficulty level of the Paw5 Puzzle Feeder. There is a flat base inside the feeder that can be easily removed to allow the dog food or treats to settle on the bottom of the bowl. This means your pet will have to tip the bowl at a greater angle to release his prize.

Video: PAW5 - Dog Bowl + Puzzle Feeder

Not only is the PAW5 Puzzle Feeder a great tool for feeding time, it’s also safe, and the company has a focus on being eco-friendly too! This slow feeder is made with BPA- and phthalate-free plastic, and it’s made in the U.S. via a process that is virtually waste free.

I was also impressed that the PAW5 Puzzle Feeder can hold up to 4 cups of dry dog food. That’s more than most other similar products. That means this product will work for feeding all dogs, no matter what size. If you have a Newfoundland, no problem! What about a teacup Chihuahua? Yep, she’ll be able to use this puzzle feeder too!

The durable hard plastic that this product is made with will hold up well to chewing, scratching and anything else your Fido may try to get the food or treats out. It’s also got a rubber coating on the bottom to keep it from sliding around the floor while your dog is trying to manipulate it.

As you’ll see in my video, your PAW5 Puzzle Feeder is likely to be covered in slobber by the time your pup is done eating. No worries though, all three pieces come apart easily, and they are all top-rack dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. You can easily order the Paw5 Puzzle feeder on the company’s website.

You’ll have the option of ordering the light blue or orange feeder. Both models will cost you $29.95, which is in the middle of the price range for similar products. You can certainly find cheaper puzzle feeders on the market, but they may not be made with safe materials and they probably won’t hold as much dog food.

Summary of PAW5 Puzzle Feeder for Dogs Review

PAW5 Puzzle Feeder for Dogs ReviewPROS:

• Made with BPA- and phthalate-free plastic
  • Made in the U.S.A.
  • Prevents dogs from eating too quickly
  • Helps active dogs burn energy while training their brain at the same time
  • Top-rack dishwasher safe
  • Adjustable difficulty level
  • Holds up to 4 cups of dog food

CONS:

• Simpler than other similar products, meaning very clever dogs will quickly figure this out and empty the food within a few minutes
  • Middle of the price range for similar products, but also made with higher-qualtiy materials

Now it’s your turn to review the PAW5 Puzzle Feeder for dogs

Do you have a PAW5 Puzzle Feeder? Have you ever tried one? Sharing your own personal review here will help other dog owners make a wise decision if they are thinking of purchasing this product. If your dog likes his PAW5 as much as mine, that’s great! However, if you didn’t find this product as beneficial as I did, I’d love to hear about that too. What did you like about it? What features of the product didn’t work so well with your dog?

Video: First Time Using PAW5 Rock 'N Bowl Puzzle Feeder

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts