Review: safari dog nail trimmer

If you don’t clip your pet’s nails it can cause him a lot of pain. If you’re unable to bring him to the groomers, you’ll need to invest in a quality pair of dog nail trimmers (like these Safari Dog Nail Clippers) and do it yourself.

Safari Dog Nail TrimmersUntil looks like Dremel, these are called traditional pet nail clippers. Tools like the Safari Professional Nail Trimmer are the most popular type of dog nail clippers pet owners and groomers alike choose to use.

Why are these the most popular pet nail clippers for dogs?

Video: Safari Dog Nail Clipper Review

Mostly it’s because they’re simple to use, don’t cost a fortune and are more reliable than electronic devices.

This specific set of Safari dog nail clippers works like scissors, easily clipping off the tip of your pet’s nail. They are easy to use and work very quick to do the job, if you know what you’re doing.

Don’t get me wrong, however: beginners can use these dog nail trimmers too. It will take you longer at first, but with a bit of practice you’ll be able to clip all your pup’s nails in just a few short minutes.

To compare, take a look at my Dremel Pet Nail Trimmer review (battery-powered device).

When using the traditional set of pet nail clippers, remember not to rush your dog. You’ll need to gradually get him used to having his nails clipped. Start by trimming his nails one at a time. The more comfortable he gets, the more nails you can trim at once. Eventually, you’ll be able to clip all his nails in one sitting.

READ MORE: Dog Grooming Supplies 101 – The Ultimate Buyers’ Guide

Safari Dog Nail Trimmer Review

Safari Dog Nail Clipper Review

Video: Safari 770045 Professional Nail Trimmer Review

Safari Dog Nail Trimmers feature a stainless steel head and blades. This is a necessity when buying nail clippers for dogs. Stainless steel blades are more durable, they are easier to clean, and they won’t rust.

Another necessary feature is the spring-loaded handle. When you squeeze the handle, spring-loaded trimmers will pop open by themselves. Not all scissor-style dog nail clippers have this, but it allows you to clip your pet’s nails faster and reduces hand fatigue.

In my video Safari review above I address the importance of a safety guard when purchasing pet nail clippers for your canine. You can see that the guard on the Safari Dog Nail Trimmers is just a thin piece of steel that slides back and forth in front of the blades.

This guard ensures that you won’t stick your dog’s toenail too far through the blades. Just remember that a guard doesn’t guarantee that you won’t clip the nail too short, but it does make it less likely. You still have to be careful with trimming his nails though.

Another safety feature that you’ll find on the Safari Dog Nail Trimmers is the locking mechanism. It slides down to keep the blades from opening. This feature keeps you from getting accidentally injured and also protects the blades when they are not in use.

COMPARISON: Dremel vs. Safari vs. Epica: What are Best Dog Nail Clippers?

Safari Dog Nail Trimmers

In my video review, you’ll see that I ordered the trimmers for small dogs. These cost about $8 on Amazon, but you can also order these clippers in a large size for $10.52. I also explain in my video the importance of selecting the right size clippers for your dog.

If you have a small dog, using a pair of clippers intended for a large dog is not a good idea.

You’re more likely to take off too much of the nail and clip the quick by using a trimmer that is too big. Likewise, small clippers won’t easily slice through the nail of a large breed. This can cause your dog pain, and it will make the process of cutting your dog’s nails take a lot longer.

I like that these Safari Dog Nail Trimmers are lightweight. I only have one small breed dog, but if you had multiple dogs or you work with pets professionally this will be a huge advantage, this set is one of the best dog nail clippers overall.

You’ll also notice that these clippers have a rubber hand grip. This is a common feature on a lot of similar products. It reduces hand fatigue and keeps your fingers from slipping while you’re grooming your dog.

How to Cut Dog’s Nails?

If you’re new to trimming your dog’s nails, there are a few things that you need to know before you begin. I’ve made a helpful video to show you how to cut dog’s nails where I share tips and tricks for successful dog nail trimming, and explain a few of the different types of dog nail clippers and trimmers that are available.

FULL GUIDE: How To Cut Dog’s Nails 101 – A Step by Step Video

Video: Safari® Guillotine Nail Trimmer

Summary of the Safari Dog Nail Trimmers Review

PROS:

• Safari Dog Nail TrimmersStainless steel head and blades
  • Spring loaded handle reduces hand fatigue
  • Equipped with a safety guard and a locking mechanism for safety and to protect the blades when not in use
  • Affordable
  • Lightweight

CONS:

• Be sure to choose the right size for your dog or you could risk injuring him
  • Very small size is not ideal for dog owners with large hands
  • Some consumers complained that the blade on the trimmers they received were not sharp enough, but as you can see in my video review I had no trouble at all

Now it’s your turn to review Safari Dog Nail Trimmers

Are these the nail trimmers you use for your dog? Have you tried them in the past but were disappointed? I’d love to hear your personal opinion. Feel free to share your experience in the comments below. You can also share your picture and video reviews on our Facebook page!

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts