Save money & groom your own dog!

by Carlotta Cooper

DIY Grooming

I have an online friend who is remodeling his home in Brentwood. He tells me about importing a marble fireplace and installing a remote control for his bathroom fixtures. I don’t quite have the heart to tell him that my home is decorated in Modern Dog. I have a crate that could house a family of three in my living room and a dog grooming table pushed against a window. I use the table a) for my potted plants- and b) when I groom my dogs.

With five big, long-haired dogs I do groom them myself. It’s not as hard as you might think and, with the economy the way it is right now this could be the perfect time for you to consider washing and grooming your own dog at home. At the very least, some of these ideas may help you stretch the time between visits to the grooming salon.

No More Bad Hair Days
You may not be able to duplicate the look that a dog groomer gives your dog, especially if you have a breed that requires some clipping, but there are many things that you can do to lengthen the time between visits to the grooming salon.

Video: Groom your own dog!

Another thing to note is the type of shampoo you should use on your dog. Be sure to use one specially formulated for a dog’s skin and that addresses the particular problem your dog might face. For example, does your dog have itchy skin ? What about a dull coat ? There are shampoos for virtually every problem. One thing to note is you should not use your own shampoo on your dog.

100 Strokes!
Whether you have a short-haired or long-haired breed the most important part of grooming your dog is regular brushing. Contrary to popular opinion, many short-haired breeds are terrible shedders. Breeds like Labrador Retrievers and Beagles (and their mixes) can shed copious amount of hair on a daily basis. It takes regular brushing to keep that hair from spreading throughout your home. Long-haired breeds are more apt to shed hair in tumbleweed formation — the hair sticks together and is easily seen and swept up.

Video: Grooming your Pet at Home

If your dog has a few tangles you can make brushing him much easier by using a product such as a detangler that you can spray on your dog while brushing to remove tangles and leave in his coat for added conditioning. I like a product called Calming Aromatherapy Spritzer . It conditions the hair and makes it easy to brush. And, the lavender scent is very soothing to your dog. When you’re brushing and combing your dog it’s best to spray the coat with something first. Brushing and combing a completely dry coat can cause the fur to break. Using a good detangler such as Calming Aromatherapy Spritze r can prevent tangles and mats from forming.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts