Top 15: best cooling vest for dogs to prevent heatstrokes

With the summer heat upon us, it’s time to talk about helping our canine companions stay cool. If your dog is lucky enough to spend his days lounging in an air conditioned home, you may think he has no need for the best cooling vest for dogs. However, even these pampered pooches will be out in the brutal sun from time to time.

Best Cooling Vest for Dogs for HeatstrokesThe truth is, all dogs can benefit from the best cooling vest for dogs. I mean, Fido is going to have to go out to do his business sometime, right? Do your furry friend a favor and invest in one of these vests to keep him happy and healthy all summer long.

Healthy? Yep, I said it. The best dog cooling vest can have a positive effect on your pup’s overall health, and veterinarians agree.

Did you know that dogs can suffer from heat stroke and heat exhaustion just like us? Studies show how dangerous heat strokes are for dogs, and veterinarians further confirm the importance for pet parents take certain precautions.

Dogs don’t sweat like we do, so it’s harder for them to cool off while in a car parked in the hot sun. They pant excessively when they are exposed to hot climates and being in an enclosed space (even with the windows rolled down) can launch them into a nasty heat stroke in a matter of minutes.” – Carrington College

It may be surprising to some, but even though dogs can handle summer’s heat, it doesn’t mean that they should, nor is it good for them. Heat strokes, exhaustion, dehydration and general overheating can become serious health problems. It is one of the most common issues seen by vets (PDF) in the summer months, and it’s also one of the most easily preventable canine conditions.

Getting your dog into a doggy pool, showing him with a hose, or providing him with one of the best cooling vest for dogs, are just some of the options to cool down your pet and prevent potentially serious health issues. But most importantly, remember to never leave your dog in a car or other enclosed space.

Dog Cooling VestPriceQualityRating
Ruffwear Swamp Cooler for Dogs$$$$A4.3/5
BINGPET Dog Cooling Jacket$$$B+4.5/5
digPets Hurtta Collection Cooling Vest$$B-4.0/5
HRS4Pets Pet Cooling Vest$$B-4.1/5
HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Dog Coat$$$C3.5/5

* Click on the dog cooling vest for more information, prices and details. Alternatively, scroll down below to read our overview.

I’ve already seen many pet parents getting more and more into cooling products for dogs, which is a good thing. Cooling bandannas for dogs such as this, or dog cooling collars like this one are a great way to start and prevent your pooch from summer’s heat. However, they do not compare to the cooling effects of the best cooling vest for dogs that really does a good job.

The below list of best dog cooling vest reviews has top five picks for owners looking to purchase the most cost-effective option. Our top pick of the best cooling vest for dogs should fit most pet parents and their canines. However, if this doesn’t fall within your price range or requirements, I recommend scrolling down for more alternative options of best cooling vest for dogs and clicking on the product for further details.

Top 5: Best Cooling Vest for Dogs

1Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Cooling Vest

Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Cooling VestThis light colored vest keeps dogs cool through both evaporation (due to its wicking outer layer) and heat reflection. It has an absorbent middle layer that stores water, and an inner layer that transfers a cooling effect to the dog. Because of the side buckles on this best cooling vest for dogs from Ruffwear, it is easy to put on and remove.

• Read reviews of other pet owners

To use this vest, the pet owner simply soaks it in cold water, wrings it out, and fastens it around his dog. If the dog starts to get overheated, simply add more water to “recharge” the cooling action. Pet owners love that they can now walk their dog(s) in the hottest months of the year without worrying about them becoming overheated.

Best Cooling Vest for Dogs ReviewsDogs that constantly needed breaks to regulate their body temperatures before are now able to stay active for longer periods of time. Those who have tried other cooling vests say that the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler Cooling Vest for Dogs stays wet and cold longer than any other.

There are very few negative comments about this product. Some customers wish the vest was a darker color, so it would show less stains- however, darker fabric may actually make a dog hotter. A few customers said that the vest dried out too quickly, but most people were extremely happy with the performance of this vest and wish they had found it years ago!

PROS:
  • Cools dogs through evaporation and heat reflection
  • Side buckles allow it to be easily put on and removed
  • Simply add more water to “recharge” cooling effect

Video: Hypercewl cooling vest

CONS:
  • A few pet parents noted that this vest dries out much faster than they expected

best dog cooling vestMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “This product is simply amazing!!! I am sooo happy with it! I run with my friends Vizsla in our local mountains and I am always overly cautious about heat stroke. This jacket completely put my mind at ease…”

2BINGPET Swamp Cooler Vest

BINGPET Swamp Cooler VestThis vest from BINGPET is made from high quality PVA and air mesh panels. It is lightweight, breathable and soft. It has reflectors for added safety when walking at night, and it uses evaporation and reflection to keep dogs cool in the hottest months of the year.

The company suggests taking a bottle of water to spray on the vest when going on long walks for added coolness. This cooling jacket is available in multiple sizes and colors, so be sure to follow sizing guidelines closely when ordering! Customers are very happy with the quality of this product and the fact that it seems to keep their dog cool and happy, no matter how high the temperature rises!

Best Cooling Vest for Dogs ReviewsThanks to this best dog cooling vest, dogs that normally overheat after a short amount of time in the sun are able to run around comfortably and without frequent breaks. The bright color of the BINGPET Swamp Cooler Vest makes dogs easy to spot, which many pet owners are grateful for when hunting or on large areas of land.

There are currently no negative reviews on this product, but some customers do say it tends to run large. One customer mentioned that the chest straps tend to loosen over time, so pet owners may want to check and tighten them periodically to ensure the vest is secure.

PROS:
  • Made from high quality PVA and air mesh panels
  • Cools dogs through evaporation and heat reflection
  • Lightweight, breathable and soft
  • Has reflectors for added safety when walking at night

Video: ZippyPaws: Adventure Cooling Safety Vest for Dogs

CONS:
  • Size runs large
  • One customer claims the chest strap loosens by itself over time

best dog cooling vestMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “Ordered according to manufacturer’s measurements. Runs large. The neck to tail length is perfect, however I cut and shortened the elastic on each side for a better fit. This is easy on – easy off. In 108 degree heat today my dog was running and chasing birds this afternoon at the park…”

3Hurtta Motivation Cooling Vest

Hurtta Motivation Cooling VestThe Hurtta Motivation Cooling Vest is a great way to keep your dog cool and comfortable in the heat. Simply dip this best cooling vest for dogs in cold water, wring it out and zip it on your dog! It is available in a nice blue or lilac color, as well as multiple size.

Some variations of this best dog cooling vest are equipped with a fastener for a leash. All options are lightweight, even when damp. As the vest dries, the color changes, which makes it easy to tell when to add more water.

Best Cooling Vest for Dogs ReviewsMost customers are happy with the quality of the Hurtta Motivation Cooling Vest and claim it keeps their dog(s) cool, looks nice and fits great. Once the vest dries out, pet owners can simply run water over it (either iced water from a bottle or water from a hose) for additional cooling time. Customers say it is easy to put on by sliding the arms through and zipping the back. The smaller sizes work double duty as a harness, which comes in handy for walks.

Some say that it does not last as long as they would hope, but the same customers also mention that their dog tends to overheat easily. For the most part, customers are extremely happy with this product. Be careful to use the detailed sizing chart to ensure you are ordering the right size!

PROS:
  • Easy to put on your dog thanks to zip up design
  • Available in two colors and many different sizes
  • As it dries the color changes, making it easy to see when more water needs to be added
CONS:
  • Must use detailed sizing chart to ensure proper fit, as some customers received the wrong size
  • Some buyers say that the vest dried out more quickly than they anticipated

best dog cooling vestMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review + PHOTOS): “This is an excellent product which I have purchased in the past. This Seller ships very quickly and his items are always authentic. I purchased the M for my Senior 20 lb American Eskimo who turned 15 in June….”

4HRS4Pets Cooling Vest

HRS4Pets Cooling VestProviding 3-4 hours of cooling at a time and the ability to refresh with nothing more than a cool bottle of water, this best cooling vest for dogs proves to be a great option for long days in the summer heat. This vest from HRS4Pets is said to be comfortable and allow for full range of motion when wet. It is lightweight to keep from weighing your dog down.

Once the vest starts to dry, pet owners should be sure to re-soak it immediately to keep their pets cool and comfortable. As the vest dries, it feels similar to stiff cardboard. Dogs seem to be comfortable in this lightweight vest, and they are able to run around without feeling constricted due to its flexibility.

Best Cooling Vest for Dogs ReviewsPet owners feel at ease taking their dog(s) out in the summer heat thanks to the cooling effect the HRS4Pets Dog Cooling Vest offers. One “dog mom” even mentioned her dogs won’t go outside without this vest on anymore! Although some dogs take time to get used to the vest, they tend to love it once they realize how much better they feel when wearing it!

The only negative reviews of this product to date are due to sizing issues and not the effectiveness of the product. Overall, customers were very satisfied with their purchase and claim that the product works as advertised.

PROS:
  • Provides 3-4 hours of cooling at a time
  • Comfortable and allows for full range of motion
  • Lightweight
CONS:
  • When dry it feels similar to stiff cardboard
  • Be sure to measure correctly, as numerous pet owners received the wrong size due to improper measuring

best dog cooling vestMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review + PHOTOS): “I love this cooling vest. I have a shepherd/lab mix but her fur is more like a german shepherd’s fur… Thick and fluffy. I feel so bad for her when I have to take her out to go potty because I know she’s just so hot. I feel much better about taking her outside now that I have this cooling vest…”

5HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Dog Coat

HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Dog CoatThis vest has one of the longest cooling times of any of the best dog cooling vest products currently available. At anywhere between five and 10 hours without rewetting, this vest from HyperKewl is unbeatable! It is available in multiple sizes and in two different colors (blue or silver).

Even though the cooling effects of the vest require a soak in water, dogs stay dry while wearing it. Pet owners and their dogs are both very satisfied with the effectiveness of this product. Long walks and spending time outdoors in the middle of summer is no longer an issue for dogs who tend to get overheated in the hot summer sun.

Customers attest to the longer cooling time of the HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Dog Coat and feel confident that their dogs are able to stay cooler for longer. Some customers complain that this best cooling vest for dogs does not stay in place when worn by active dogs, although many people did not have this issue.

Those who don’t have a dog cooling coat and who do have a problem with the placement claim that the vest tends to turn to the side and not stay properly on their dog’s back. This vest also may feel heavy when wet, so if your dog is old or weak, you may want to look for other options!

PROS:
  • Provides between 5-10 hours of cooling at a time
  • Available in two colors and multiple sizes
  • Although the vest must be wet to be effective, your dog will stay dry while wearing it
CONS:
  • Some customers complain that the vest doesn’t stay in place properly
  • Feels heavy when wet, making it a poor choice for weak or older dogs

best dog cooling vestMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “I have a 100 pound Doberman Pincher and bought the recommended XL size. This is the second cool vest/coat I have tried for him. The first one was a Cool Pup Dog. That one collected every weed and sticker in sight and did not stay cool. This one does stay cool a long time and stickers do not stick to the cooling fabric…”

Top 10 Best Dog Cooling Vests as Alternatives

Cool K-9 Evaporative Cooling VestThe above list was researched to pick the best cooling vest for dogs for pet parents worried about summer’s heat. Having your dog wear one of the best dog cooling vests can prevent heatstroke and heat exhaustion. However, not everybody will find what they’re looking for among those top five picks. With that in mind, I have found a few alternative options to my pick of best cooling vest for dogs. They aren’t as good of a quality, but some of them may be cheaper yet still do the job.

1. Cool K-9 Evaporative Cooling Vest
  2. TechKewl Phase Change Cooling Coat
  3. PupPal Pet Cooling Vest
  4. ZippyPaws Adventure Cooling Vest
  5. Hugs Pet Products Chilly Cooling Vest
  6. Canine Equipment Ultimate Cooling Coat
  7. Kong License Cooling Coat
  8. Guardian Gear Cool Pup Dog Cooling Harness
  9. Dog Cooling Harness
  10. Kumfy Tailz Cooling Dog Harness

Now it’s your turn to pitch in! Have you and your Fido tried any of these dog cooling vests? How did your dog react to it, and were you able to cool off your pet with this product? Please share your observations in the comments below!

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts