Top 25 best puppy toys for dogs that chew a lot

The best strategy to keep a dog occupied has always been to entice your pooch with some of the best puppy toys for dogs that chew as that will keep them mentally stimulated and entertained. In the below list I have picked a whooping 25 of the best puppy toys for dogs you may want to try with your pet.

Vets say that getting your puppy toys is very important. It’s for mental stimulation, teething and occupying them. Most of the vets also prefer KONG dog toys and say these are usually best toys for puppies and adult dogs alike:

“Kong toys are fantastic because the animal has to work, but they are also rewarded for their hard effort.” – Dr. Mark Stickney, Clinical Associate Professor and Director of General Surgery Services at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences [source]

Top Best Puppy Toys for Dogs that Chew A Lot ReviewMost of the time, the type of puppy toy doesn’t matter as much as long as it’s safe and high quality. Fortunately, there are numerous options of best puppy toys available online today (possibly even too much), and all of them scream of different benefits: the most durable toy, best dog dental protection toy, generally best puppy toys for teething, or maybe it’s the “simply looks good in the living room” toy.

We have reviewed tons of chew dog toys before, picked some of the best toys for adult dogs, but this list is focused on the best puppy toys for teething and for those that chew a lot. We’ll keep this dog toys review list short in descriptions, but please feel free to visit the toy’s page to get more details.

With that being said, let’s dig into the list of top 25 best puppy toys for dogs that chew that will make sure your canines are occupied for the longest period, and are happy while playing with their “prey.”

Top 25 Best Puppy Toys for Dogs that Chew

25 KONG Squeakair Tennis Ball with Rope Dog Toy

This is everything your puppies will love! It’s a ball that squeaks with a rope to play tug a war, if your dog wishes as soon as he/she brings it back to you.

Almost a dog toy nirvana!

Beware tho, there is a small plastic plug on this puppy toy, right in the ball, and it makes the actual squeak, and your dog might easily get it out – as soon as that happens, the pup might not be as interested anymore.

25 Nylabone Dura Chew Giant Bacon and Chicken

Did you that majority of best puppy toys for dogs that chew, stuff like plush toys and toys with squeakers, can be very easily and quickly destroyed by certain dog breeds if you aren’t careful about what you pick?

With that said, this best dog toy from Nylabone is actually good and long-lasting.

It will keep your puppies occupied while crated or when the your are away from home, and it will help deter your young puppy’s destructive behavior.

23 KONG Cozie Marvin the Moose

Majority of dogs love Kong manufacturer’s products and especially their best puppy toys. Why?

Because while your pooch will be able to chew to bits any other stuffed toy, Kong’s stuff actually lasts for a very long time. Certain squeaky toys can be quickly demolished, but it will take a while for your pooch to deal with this one.

Again, why? Not because it’s strong, but because a lot of dogs view this particular toy (maybe because of the materials) as their pal – they will carry them to bed, sleep with them, etc. It’s amazing!

22 Chuckit! Small Ultra Ball 2-Inch

Now you can Chuckit! too to your dog. Another one of the best puppy toys for dogs that chew, this one is by far one of the best balls out there.

Chuckit! toy ball will bounce higher than most other dog toy balls, and it’s very easy to find in any tall grass and similar areas due to its coloring.

It was also proven many times how highly indestructible this dog toy is, and so far many dog owners find this to be very true – great to play with and lasts ages!

21 Outward Hound Kyjen Squeaker

Another one from the family of squeakers (and we already discussed why these are popular!)

First of all tho, make sure your dog isn’t big enough to tear this puppy toy apart very easily (and puppies shouldn’t be able to) because it’s dangerous that way. This squeaker isn’t ultra-tough best dog toy, but other than that it’s a great way to occupy your Fido.

If you talk to other dog owners or review customer reviews, you’ll notice a big fan base of this toy (unless it has been destroyed, like already mentioned).

20 OurPets Smarter Toys Interactive IQ Treat Ball

It’s great for dogs that get easily frustrated, or those who are good with puzzle toys. The reason this is now one of the best puppy toys for dogs that chew is because you can take the center piece out and stuff more food in there.

It can hold around 1 cup of dry dog food and it will still be very easy to screw the whole thing back together.

If you have a panel it, then it will be a bit less. At some point in the future, you might want to insert the panel that increases difficulty back in for those more clever dogs.

19 Nylabone Dura Chew Wolf Bacon Flavored Hollow Stick

Nylabone is great but we always want more. Finally, they made another one of the best puppy toys, and that’s the hollow Nylabone you can see right here.

Most puppies will absolutely love it. They will carry the toy around, and there will be very few things that can come in the way between the puppy and the toy.

A great dog toy, highly recommended. You will quickly notice plenty of teeth marks on the trunk of it, but it’s still amazing, study, and your pooch busy for many days.

18 3 Pack Nylabone Durable Dental Dinosaur Chew Toy

Nobody gets away without trying the famous Nylabone dinosaurs – the most popular, if not the best puppy toy for dogs that chew.

I used to buy these dinosaurs on a regular basis because my dogs would go through them pretty quickly, but for puppies, it will take a while. Interestingly, most dogs love them.

Unlike the Nylabone bones that they have, these Nylabone dinosaurs will last substantially longer. They are funky shapes, which is the reason most puppies prefer to chew on them.

17 KONG Air Dog Squeakair Birthday Balls Dog Toy

Another one from Kong best puppy toys for dogs that chew. Your dog will love these! Normally, puppies will rip tennis balls to pieces but with this one, they usually won’t even try to destroy them.

I think it’s because puppies like playing with these balls and making weird sounds and so forth.

Dogs love to play with all three Kong balls at the same time and hide them under everywhere possible. Some people might get annoyed by this, but I love it!

16 Nylabone Dura Chew Original Flavored Dental Dinosaur

Alternatively to the previous mentioned dinosaur, you can try these as your option for best dog toys for puppies that you own.

These Dental Dinosaur chew toys will keep your dogs occupied and will also help with teething and similar things.

You will be amazed how long they have last and how long most dogs enjoy chewing on them. The best part is indestructibility, of course, but also the fact that dogs genuinely seem to enjoy the shape or size or whatever it is about these particular toys.

15 Benebone Bacon Flavored Wishbone Chew Toy

How can a list of best puppy toys for dogs that chew be complete without the flavored wishbone chew toy!

It used to be my dog’s favorite bone before I got him onto few new toys listed below. Anytime I picked it up and gave it to my pups, they would be very excited.

Normally, my pooches don’t like toys that are too long, but somehow this turned out to be an exception. When there are other best dog toys lying around, my dogs would always grab this one first to start it off.

Video: SWALLOWING 23 HOT DOGS WHOLE *VOMIT*

14 KONG Pudge Braidz Pig Dog Toy

How about a pig plush toy? As far as I remember, we used to have three or four of these dog toys always lying around at home, and they’ve been my dogs’ longest-lasting pet toys.

They would often destroy certain plush toys within minutes or at least within hours, but not this one.

The head and limbs of this pet toy have been torn off and gone fairly quickly, however, the majority of it, the biggest part remained in tact for a long time and dogs still enjoyed playing with it.

13 Bergan Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy

New this is something new in the series of best puppy toys. The turbo scratcher is simply a plastic circular base that has a ball in it, and that ball always rolls around the track on the outer edge of the dog toy.

It has cardboard corrugating medium, if you will, as a clawing area on the inner part of the circle of this toy.

Honestly, it’s pretty simple but extremely useful and effective. I don’t know why, but most dogs and cats adore this thing! Once they get the ball moving, the time will go by very fast.

12 KONG Beaver Dog Toy

Don’t like the pig? Try the beaver! I’ve recently learned that these beaver dog toys are among the best plush puppy toys for dogs that chew out there, and trust me, I have tried more than enough.

I don’t believe any of them are truly “indestructible” because, you know, there’s always a dog somewhere that will defy that claim without any issues sooner or later.

However, these beavers are well made, sturdy and worth buying for the majority of puppies. Just be sure to buy the size that suits your dog!

11 KONG Tugga Wubba Dog Toy

The Tugga Wubba an extremely durable, strong dog toy that will last a while if you choose the correct size for your pooch. This is one of the most important parts of best puppy toys for dogs that chew – durability.

The toy has a good, not annoying and not too loud of a squeaky sound which is very fun to play around with.

Section of this toy that is in the center has the actual squeaker, and it’s not easy for the dog to get it out, too. Kong is one of the best dog toy manufacturers, and it seems they meant for this to be an interactive toy so there would be no chance of chewing off the cover.

10 Kaytee Small Animal Nut Knot Nibbler Chew Toy

A slightly different concept of best puppy toys that’s much more interesting so that even I myself would like to pick around it.

This thing is made out of wood, which is unusual, and dogs will now disintegrated from their daily play and you might want to get a couple of these, because they absolutely love them.

Personally, I would say it’s very hard to pull this thing apart – it’s sturdy and durable, after about a year of working on it, the last few wooden sticks of this toy for puppies will get pulled out and it will eventually fall apart, but that’s a cheap price to pay for a year’s worth of entertainment.

9 Nylabone Giant Original Flavored Ring Bone Dog Chew Toy

Nylabone continues its domination of the best puppy toys market! Note that a lot of other, oddly shaped Nylabone dog toys will usually last your canine about a few months.

However, this dog toy ring is not the same case: it’s super fun to play with, and most dogs will love it a lot because of its round shape, so that they can stick their pats in it in order to secure it, and then proceed with chewing.

It’s very durable for sure, it’s sturdy, and is similar to its other brother called “Gumabone” for much more younger pups, which is why it’s in this place of top best puppy toys list. Great choice!

8 KONG Extreme Goodie Bone Dog Toy

A dog toy shaped like a bone – who would’ve thought?! Surprisingly, we didn’t have many of these on the list.

This one will last forever, if you purchase the right size of the right dog breed. Kong knows how to make very long-lasting best puppy toys for dogs that chew really hard.

Try it out and see how much your Fido will love it, and how damage-resistant it actually is- it’s pretty amazing. Just like all other Kong best puppy toys mentioned on this list above, it will serve you well and long. You can even put treats into those Kong dog toys, it’s crazy!

7 American Classic Squirrel, Large

Another squirrel, although this one is much more life-like than the previous one on this list of best puppy toys, and it’s also one of the most popular dog toys on Amazon (and has been for years!)

Now you have to realize that nothing that has been constructed out of fabric will last forever and be indestructible.

For that purpose, you must choose dog toys made out of rubber or plastic, and there’s plenty of those to choose from on this list. With this one, it will be the seams that will fail eventually, but once all the stuffing is removed, your pooch will be happy to continue destroying it for a lot longer anyway.

6 KONG Extreme Ball, Dog Toy

Honestly, it’s pretty difficult now not to mention a few Kong best puppy toys or any dog toys in a row – they’re one of the best puppy toys you can find today.

This one is exactly what it says it is: an extreme ball, because it will be a while before your dog will be able to let it go or destroy it. It’s one of the best dog toys for large dogs breeds that are hard chewers – it’s heavy and indestructible.

If your pooch is about 45 lbs or lighter, then make sure to order the smaller dog Kong ball. Large version is somewhere around 4 inches in diameter, and it weighs over 5 ounces as they claim.

5 Outward Hound Kyjen Hide-A-Squirrel Squeak Toy

Do not be nervous about purchasing this one if you aren’t sure if this is the whole set of best dog toys or just a simple replacement: it’s a complete and full set as in the pictures shown. Your puppy will have an amazing time with this puzzle toy, and it will take them a while to grasp how to even approach it.

Those little squirrels that are inside of this puppy toy’s tree trunk are actually squeaky toys, which is great because as we know, dogs love squeakers! Packaged box from Amazon will come with instructions on how you need to motivate and teach your pet to use this dog toy, which is always helpful.

4 KONG Flyer Dog Toy, Large, Red

Kong is back on the list again! Amazon’s best seller for many years now, this best puppy toy for dogs that chew really hard is very simple yet it works brilliantly!

After your pet spends at least an hour with this toy, you won’t even find any visible wear and tear on it, which means it will be really hard for them to destroy it.

This is best for those with own houses and backyards, and you can simply throw it in your yard for your pooch to chew on whenever they feel like it, and just it there – nothing will ever happen. One of the most indestructible best puppy toys for dogs that chew that you can purchase on Amazon hands down!

3 Duckworth Large Yellow Duck Dog Toy

Here we have another best puzzle dog toy for puppies that love to chew on hairy ducks. This one’s bigger, sturdier, and works wonderfully.

Personally, my dog loves this toy and I’m going to review this puppy toy separately for dog owners who are interested how it works and why it’s so popular. It’s definitely worth every penny.

These best puppy toys will not get chewed apart as easily as a lot other similarly plush dog toys for chewing, and it will be so well loved and torn apart that you won’t even recognize whether it’s a duck or chicken, yet it will all be in tact and your dog will happily continue to enjoy himself or herself for many months.

2 KONG Low Stuffing with Squeaker dog Toy Small

You know what’s even better than the previously mentioned duck dog toy? Best puppy toys that are made by Kong! Here’s one example – Amazon’s best seller for years and ultra popular among dog owners, this is definitely one of the winners.

Let your puppy chew on this for a few months and you will quickly realize that it’s simply one of the best purchases you can make for your dog.

Especially if your puppy is teething, or you want to play fetch with them, it will be absolutely one of the best puppy toys because of how much dogs prefer this toy and how long it will last due to Kong’s knowledge on how to create durable puppy toys for dogs that chew a lot. There’s even an extra squeaker included in the package!

1 KONG Classic Dog Toy

Finally, the #1 in the best puppy toys collection is the one made by the masters of dog toys for pets that chew hard – Kong. It’s the famous classic dog toy, the most popular among dog owners and Amazon’s long-term best seller- and it’s also red!

Whenever you’re looking for the next thing you want your dog to destroy, then Kong will always be the answer. Believe it or not, some customers stock up on this stuff because they’re afraid that eventually stores will run out of Kong will stop manufacturing them.

People buy 5 or 10 of these best puppy toys, and that pretty much sets them for a lifetime. Rightfully so! Do this: make a great smelling and tasting snack, like a combo of peanut butter, oatmeal and yogurt, and stuff that into this dog to- it’s going to be the ultimate best puppy toy for any dog!

Best Puppy Toys for Dogs that Chew A Lot

What’s the best dog toy for adult dogs?

If you’re not on the lookout for the best puppy toys but rather want something for your older pooch, check out our review of the best dog toy below.

Summing up the best puppy toys for dogs that chew

And that’s it. I hope you found the our list of best puppy toys helpful and informative enough. All recommendations are based on personal experience, customer reviews, experience of friends that are dog owners and other related information. Obviously I myself didn’t buy all of these- however, my dogs have come in contact with a big part of dog toys that were mentioned here.

Top 25 Best Puppy Toys for Teething or Dogs That Chew
Top 25 Best Puppy Toys for Teething or Dogs That Chew

The reason you’re probably reading this post is because you’re having trouble in deciding on what best dog toys to buy for your puppies, or what type of best puppy toys are there. Don’t worry, you’re not alone!

Remember that Top Dog Tips are commissioned by Amazon, and even though this didn’t affect my choices for the list of best puppy toys, I suggest you do your own thorough research as well before making any purchases if you don’t trust these recommendations, just so that we keep this fair. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know in the comments section below and I will do my best to respond with some great advice!

What to know before buying best puppy toys for dogs?

Top 25 Best Puppy Toys for Dogs that Chew Hard
Top 25 Best Puppy Toys

First of all, you must know that your first dog toys will never be perfect because you don’t really know how your pooch will respond to them.

As the time goes by, and you and your puppy develop an understanding, as a dog owner you will have a better grasp of your dog’s preferences when it comes to chew toys and similar things.

The same rule applies to most dog products you buy, like when choosing dog beds or trying to pick a good gift for you pooch- the rule especially applies to dog houses and things like dog treadmills. So don’t worry about it too much – pick a few of those best puppy toys that other dog owners seem to like and see how your dog reacts.

We already know that dogs prefer newer toys, but are you wondering how pets decide which best puppy toys they like and which ones bore them?

Top Best Puppy Toys for Dogs that Chew A Lot ReviewIt’s a good question, because one study published in the journal of Animal Cognition has introduced Labrador Retrievers to one dog toy for a whole of 30 seconds, waiting for them stop interacting with those best dog toys they picked, and the outcome confirms what you have probably already seen in the behavior of your own pet:

• Canines see toys as prey, therefore, they like best dog toys that can be torn apart, taste good, smell good, or release some kind of sound.
  • Dogs definitely find quiet chew toys less curious because there’s no response, there’s no reason for them to do anything to those toys.
  • Most dog breeds are very interested in everything new, and new dog toys will definitely amuse them, so if you can keep supplying your dogs with new toys every month, then they have a very considerate (and rich!) owner, but that isn’t really necessary, unless you can afford it.

Now it’s your turn to share! Have you and your pooch tried any of these best puppy toys for dogs? How long did they last and what did you dog think of them? Please share your opinion of these dog toys for puppies below!

Disclosure: We may earn affiliate commissions at no cost to you from the links on this page. This did not affect our assessment of products. Read more here and find full disclosure here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts