You’ll want this dog backpack for weekend hikes and overnight trips

Video: How to Pack a Backpack for Overnight Hiking

I hike with my dogs often, but we’ve never used a canine backpack. Every time I see one I think, “Boy, it would be nice if my girls carried their own weight for a change!” It’s definitely on our list of supplies for the next trip. This doggy backpack from Granite Gear looks like a great option. It has a lot of features and looks like it can adjust to fit virtually any size dog.

Video: How to Pack a Lightweight Backpack - CleverHiker.com

The Alpha Dog Pack is equipped with a top yolk that has 3 separate adjusting points on each side, for a total of 6. They raise and lower the saddlebags to adjust to the height of the dog. If your dog is short, you can cinch up the straps to shorten the saddlebags, and if your pet is taller you can lengthen the bags so they rest nicely on his sides. Having three separate adjusters also allows you to tip the bag forward or backward to find the proper fit for your dog’s build.

The yolk also features a durable handle that allows you to easily help your dog up over tricky terrain, rocks, or steep slopes. It also has a leash hook so you won’t need a separate collar or harness. There are two straps that go underneath your dog and one that goes around his chest to keep the pack in place. The straps under his belly also give you support to lift him up if you need to.

Video: Osprey Exos 38 and 58 Backpack: Ultralight Backpacking Gear

All the straps have their own adjusters as well, and they are fleece lined to prevent chafing and keep your dog comfortable. The yolk and saddlebags also have fleece lining underneath. The Alpha Dog Pack has reflective strips on the outside of each pack to give you and your pooch extra visibility at dawn, dusk, or after dark.

The only downside to this doggy backpack is that it isn’t waterproof. If you’re an avid hiker like me, you know that it always seems to rain just when you least expect it. We’ve gotten stuck in the rain countless times, and that’s why I always take my waterproof backpack with me. It would be nice if my dogs could have the same luxury so their gear didn’t end up soaked.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts