Working dogs featured on stamps

Video: Minecraft Xbox - Pick A Pet [111]

A Syracuse University Professor’s artwork is featured on four sixty-five cent stamps issued today by the United States Postal Service. “The stamps feature the partnership between dogs and people and depict dogs at work.” Working Dogs Featured on Stamps is reported on Syracuse.com.

Working Dogs Featured on Stamps

“Syracuse, NY — The artwork of a Syracuse University art professor is featured on four 65-cent stamps released today by the United States Postal Service.

John Thompson created the artwork behind the Dogs at Work stamp, which is featured in four different designs. Thompson said he was thrilled to have his work featured on stamps.

“It was really fun to create and I’m very proud of the outcome,” he said.

Thompson, 71, has worked for Syracuse University since 1994 and is an award-winning freelance illustrator. His work has been featured in children’s books, advertising campaigns and several other projects.

“This is something that I hadn’t done yet,” Thompson said about creating the original artwork for the stamps. “And now I have.”

Thompson said he was approached by Howard Paine, the art director of the Postal Service about creating artwork for stamps in 2008. The theme was to capture dogs working to help humans.

“I started with the idea and I ran with it.” Thompson said.

After dozens of sketches and about six months of work, Paine selected four of Thompson’s paintings to be featured on stamps. Paine was paid for his work in 2008. It has taken about four years for the stamps to make it into rotation.

The stamps feature the partnership between dogs and people and depict dogs at work. The four stamps depict a guide dog assisting a blind woman, a military dog scouting and tracking, a therapy dog visiting an elderly woman in her home and a search and rescue dog in a field.

“I did tons of drawings,” Thompson said. “I had a dog and I love dogs. It was fun.”

Thompson lives in Syracuse with his wife, Darren, who works for James Square Health and Rehabilitation Centre. They have three children and three grandchildren.

Thompson said he is excited that the stamps are released so now he can finally share the project with his students at SU.
“I wanted my students to see the entire process,” he said.”

Video: How NOT to Stamp (for nails)

As a stamp collector, lover of dogs, and photography enthusiast, it is exciting for me to hear about Working Dogs Featured on Stamps. What better way to honor dogs with jobs such as a guide dog, scouting and tracking dog, therapy dog and a search and rescue dog. Are there any working dogs you would like to see honored on a stamp?

To see the original article, click here.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts