3 Common canine diseases linked to dog food

Common Dog Diseases Linked to Dog Food

As humans concerned with our health, we know that there is a connection between the food we eat and how we feel. We even know that too much poor food can create disease and illness in our bodies. But when it comes to our dogs, we tend to forget that food works the same way. Sadly, there are many canine diseases linked to dog food.

I used to buy dog food based on the price tag and the well-known name brand, not how it made my dogs feel and look. After doing my own research, though, I found out some staggering facts about the connection between canine disease and the food I was feeding my furry friends.

There are many different dog food diets available, and some owners even choose to make their own homemade dog food. One of the absolute best things you can do for your Fido is to feed him a quality diet that meets his specific dietary needs. Canine diseases linked to dog food can be prevented with proper nutrition.

RECOMMENDED: Best Food for Dogs 101 – Dog Food Buying Guide

Common Canine Diseases Linked to Dog Food

Allergies Dog Food

1. Allergies and Skin Conditions due to Dog Food

There’s a lot of talk about buying dog food that doesn’t have “fillers” like corn, wheat, or soy. Most of the argument for this is that fillers in dog food just make your dog feel full without providing any nutritional value (more on this later).

Video: Top 10 Pet Diseases and Natural Remedies

But for many people, that’s just not enough reason to buy the more expensive, “fancier” dog food brands that claim to not have fillers.

The real danger with these grain-filled foods is that they actually get contaminated with insects from harvest, mold spores from poor storage facilities, and even dust mites that settle in the storage and processing facilities.

Fillers used in dog food are some of the lowest quality to begin with – it’s the grain and crops that aren’t fit for human consumption.

These contaminants can be found in almost all dog food, and cause issues like:

• Itchy skin
  • Red, watery eyes
  • Scaly, patchy skin
  • Balding or thinning of fur
  • Ear redness or infections

Years of constant allergic reactions to food can cause blackened skin and necrotic wounds. This was how I found out about my dog’s supposed “food allergies,” which I treated by changing the food I fed him.

If your dog has been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis, allergies or has any of the above problems, you should look into the quality of the food your pooch consumes.

2. Cancer and Dog Food

Dog Cancer and Dog FoodMany dog owners have experienced the heartbreak that comes after finding out your dog has cancer.

It is definitely one of the scariest canine diseases linked to dog food. Just like in humans, a cancer diagnosis is terrifying and we naturally assume the worst.

There hasn’t been as much research done on canine cancer as there has been on human cancer, but more understanding has developed over time.

Video: Common diseases in dogs:10 most contagious dog diseases and symptoms.

It has been found that one of the biggest causes of canine cancer is in fact the food our beloved dogs consume. Foods that are not quality-controlled contain high levels of the following:

• Mold spores – High presence of mold spores in dog food creates aflatoxin, which generates a poisonous level of chemicals that encourage cancer growth. Researchers believe this is the cause of the majority of premature death and cancer in dogs.
  • Pesticides – Since many of the grains and crops used in pet food are lower quality, they are often soaked in pesticides that don’t just go away. Your dog might be consuming toxic pesticides, which have been connected to brain tumors and bone cancer in mice in a number of studies.
  • Food dyes and additives – Food coloring like Blue 1 and 2 have been connected to tumor growth in mice, but still many dog food brands use them in their ingredients.
  • Monosodium glutamate (MSG) – MSG has also been connected to severe reactions in humans, and findings show that the more MSG in canine food, the higher rates of cancer in the dogs who eat it.

While sometimes cancer has other causes, it is worth looking into the ingredients in your dog food, and understanding the brand and its factory procedures. Once a dog has cancer, it’s hard to treat. I know that for my dogs, an ounce of prevention has been worth a pound of cure.

RECOMMENDED: 4 Different Types of Dog Food and Which One Your Dog Needs?

Reviews & Comments

Related posts