Cesar millan, the dog whisperer

Maybe you`ve seen his TV Series, read one of his best selling books (does `Cesar`s Way` or `How To Raise the Perfect Dog` sound familiar?), watched one of his DVD`s or just overheard other dog owners talking about this well-known - and sometimes controversial - dog trainer and behaviorist.

From early and humble beginnings in Mexico, Ceasar Milan came to theUnited States and has become an internationally recognizable celebrity, a`star` even, and has worked with the dogs of many other celebritiessuch as Oprah, Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, Nicolas Cage and others.

If you`ve ever wondered if his dog training methods would work for your pup, or if hecould help your dog overcome some behavior issues, now`s the time toget the answers you`ve been looking for.

Mind you, not everyone loves this guy. There are strong feelings onboth sides... those who idolize him and think he can do no wrong, andthose who ridicule or denounce his methods.

But in my opinion youdon`t have to worship him (or think he`s 100% right, 100% of the time)to see the merit in his techniques or to understand his philosophy!

Cesar`s Way - What IS it?

It`s Cesar`s naturally intuitive approach to dog training that has made him famous, and he`s so successful at what he does because he clearly understands dogs in such a natural way... and communicates with them in a way they can understand too.

There`s a very basic concept at the root of this approach, and you can sum it up in 7 short words... `dogs aredogs and people are people`.

Sounds obvious doesn`t it? But it`s amazing how silly we dog owners can get when we add an adorable puppy to our family.

We`retempted to treat this sweet furball like a real baby.... spoil her,talk `baby talk` to her, let her do whatever her little canine heartpleases. She`s just so cute it`s difficult to remember that she`s NOThuman, doesn`t understand our "ooh`s and aah`s", and is hard-wired tointerpret our behavior (and the world in general) in a very differentway from the way we see it.

Video: Cesar Millan - The Real Life Story of the Dog Whisperer - [Biography Documentary Films]

Caesar Milan is so successful at whathe does because he fully understands the fundamental differences betweendogs and people, and here he sums it up in his own words - “I rehabilitate dogs. I train people.”

The building blocks of Cesars` way are these..

• Dogs have three very basic requirements in their lives - exercise, discipline, and affection (in that order)

• That dogs are pack animals and in order for them to feel secure, we owners need to establish ourselves as pack leaders

• Makingsure your dog gets enough exercise is a key requirement, and thatexercise plays a big role in modifying behavior and promotes bonding (iewalks, games etc.)

• Dogs are very intuitive and pick up on their owners emotions, a calm and assertive owner will lead to a calm and assertive dog

• Althoughall dogs are dogs first, there are also distinct differences betweenbreeds, and even between dogs of the SAME breed. There`s no`one-size-fits-all` approach

Cesar Millan DogWhisperer teaches that attaining a proper `balance` between an owner andhis/her dog plays a key role in how the dog behaves and how successfulany training will be.

To get to this state of balance, a dogneeds to recognize, and accept, his owner as the `pack leader` and theowner needs to recognize, and fulfil, the dogs` basic needs. Clearcommunication between dog and owner is vital, and it`s the ownersresponsibility to learn how to communicate with his/her pup/dog.

Heencourages dog owners to watch their pet for subtle cues in the dog`sposture, movement and facial expression - their `body language` - asthis is how your dog communicates with other dogs... and with you.

TheDog Whisperer also stresses the importance of understanding how ourfeelings, emotions and attitudes affect our dogs and shape theirbehavior. Dogs are very intuitive and if we`re feeling a strong emotion,the dog will sense that but not necessarily understand it. This canlead to aggressive, defensive or fearful behavior because the dog isconfused and not getting the `calm and assertive` energy he needs fromyou.

This is a real, working, example of your dog using that old saying, "Actions speak louder than words" in a real-life situation.

Video: All Bark and Hopefully No Bite | Cesar 911

How To Be Your Dog`s Very Own Whisperer!

So, if you want to follow `Cesars Way`, what do you need to do? First of all, you want to start off in the right way!

Ifyou`re the proud owner of a new puppy, you have pretty much a `cleanslate` so to speak, and being able to follow the Dog Whisperers` advicefrom Day 1 will be a plus.

We all know how irresistible a newpuppy is, but don`t treat your new four-legged baby like a human one.Understand that this is a DOG (albeit it a tiny one!), and she doesn`tthink the same way you do.

Set firm guidelines for her behavior, and give her plenty of exercise and stimulation, a nutritious diet and don`t spoil her!

Alwaysproject a calm, assertive but loving attitude so that your puppy feelssafe and knows that she can rely on you for guidance.

If you`re still in the `planning stage` of puppy ownership, or have just brought home a new pup, Cesars` book How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond is the perfect match for your situation.

Itwill guide you through the entire process from choosing the right pupfor you, (breed, energy level etc.) to establishing rules, understandinghow dogs think and communicate, basic dog training methods and more.

Ifyou have an older puppy, adolescent, or even adult dog, followingCesars` Way is still very much an option. In fact his best seller Cesar`s Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems will get you on the right track.

Thisbook isn`t just an invaluable reference book, but is full of storiesand anecdotes that cover Cesar Millans` lifetime devotion to his caninecompanions. It makes fascinating reading.

On a practical note,you`ll find this book will help you realize where you`ve gone wrong, andwhat you need to change in order for your dog to be happier, and yourrelationship to become more inline with the Dog Whisperers`recommendations.

Of course, there`s way more to Cesar Millan DogWhisperer, than what you`ll find in these two books, and he`s created analmost limitless amount of material (books, DVD`s, TV shows etc.) tohelp you overcome your dogs` behavior problems, understand each otherand bond in a natural way. As much as helping your dog, it will help youto become the `pack leader` your dog needs, and deserves, and you`llboth be happier for it!

If you prefer to watch and listen rather than read, I`d recommend trying this set of DVDs - Cesar Millan`s Mastering Leadership - Volumes 1-4.They`re very comprehensive and entertaining, each one covering adifferent aspect of the dog-human relationship and giving you tons ofworkable tips and advice. You`ll come back to these over and over again.

CesarMilan also offers books/DVD`s that cover the more ingrained or seriousbehavioral problems your dog may have. If your dog is aggressive,defensive, fearful.... Cesar can help you rehabilitate him.

He hasworked with some very tough `cases` and knows how to approach anysituation. His TV series often shows him working with dogs who arelabeled `problematic`, and the methods he uses with these dogs haveoften come under fire. He does use some strong corrections, and can seemintimidating, but in my personal opinion he never steps `over the line`and he is `in tune` with the dogs he works with.

Of course,Caesar is a professional and very experienced at what he does.... and hedoesn`t advocate that YOU do what he is often seen doing. Like thosedare-devil TV shows say `please don`t try this at home`!

Here aresome bookds/DVD`s will show you what you CAN do to help your dog withproblem/unwanted behaviors, whether they`re minor or major, safely andeffectively.....

I`ve owned, raised and trained big dogs for many years, and many ofthe methods that Caesar Milan recommends make perfect sense to me. Infact, many times they`re things that I`ve learned through personalexperience and practice actually work, I just didn`t always understand why they worked.

Ofcourse, I don`t necessarily agree with everything the Dog Whispererdoes or recommends. I still prefer to routinely train a puppy withtreats, and on occasion I dole out too much affection and not enoughexercise, but the saying `a tired puppy is a good puppy` is withoutquestion very accurate!

There are almost as many trainingmethods and dog trainers/gurus as there are dogs (that might be a slightexaggeration!), but for me Cesar Millan Dog Whisperer is definitely oneto watch - and pay attention to.

Training your puppy or dog properly takes time, effort and a TON of patience, but it can be fun too and is more than worthwhile. Check out these other pages on my site to learn more about teaching your puppy the lessons he needs to learn... and have fun together at the same time....

How & why clicker training works
All about dog agility

Reviews & Comments

Related posts