Recipe: carob crunchies dog treats (wheat and gluten free)

These five ingredient dog treats are made with carob powder, a healthy substitute for cocoa powder in dog treats. Although it has a slightly different taste, carob powder is much healthier than cocoa and is safe for our canine companions.

Video: DIY Pumpkin Dog Treats | All Natural Grain Free Recipe

Carob powder only contains 1/3 of the calories of traditional cocoa powder, and it’s not allergenic. Unlike cocoa, carob contains no caffeine. Containing up to 80% protein, carob is a great choice for humans and dogs. It contains

• magnesium
  • calcium
  • iron
  • phosphorus
  • potassium
  • manganese
  • vitamins A, B, B2, B3, and D

This recipe using carob powder yields great tasting homemade dog treats which are healthy, and are wheat and gluten free.

MORE VIDEOS: Homemade Dog Food & Treats Recipes

Carob Crunchies Homemade Dog Treats Recipe

Carob Crunchies Dog Treats

Ingredients

• 1 cup of white rice flour
  • 1/2 a cup of carob powder
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 3/4 of a cup of water

Directions

This is a very easy recipe to prepare, and it requires no prep work! If you’re anything like me, you like to make your dog safe and healthy snacks but can’t afford to spend three hours in the kitchen doing it.

I always look for homemade dog food and treat recipes that are easy to prepare. This one definitely falls into that category, and the clean up is easy too!

First, preheat your oven to 350°.

Video: Easy Peanut Butter Dog Treats [Gluten free, dairy free & egg free]

Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix them until it forms a dough. If the dough is still a little bit dry and crumbly, add small amounts of water until it it becomes smooth. If it’s too moist and sticky, add a bit more flour.

SIMILAR RECIPE: Peanut Butter Dog Treats Recipe

Carob Crunchies Dog TreatsOnce the dough is at a good consistency, roll it out on a floured surface. Roll it until the dough is about 1/4-inch thick.

Now, as you’ll see in my video review, you can cut the dog treats into any shape that you want. Some people like to use cookie cutters, but I usually only do that if I’m giving the treats away as a gift.

I usually just slice the treats into small squares with a butter knife. I make big squares for our large breeds and little squares for our small breed.

Once you’ve cut them how you want them, place them on a greased and floured cookie sheet. There are no rising agents in this recipe, so you can place the treats very close together and they won’t get stuck together.

Carob Crunchies Dog TreatsBake Carob Crunchies in a 350° oven for 10-15 minutes. You’ll know when they are done because the top of the treats will begin to crack. Once they are cool you can serve them to your pooch.

You can store these treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. This recipe will yield about 4 dozen 1″ X 1″ treats. I usually bake half of them and store them in the refrigerator.

I place the other half on a cookie sheet and place them in the freezer. Once they are frozen, you can store them in an airtight container in the freezer for a couple of months. Just take out a package and bake for 12-15 minutes from frozen when your pup needs some more treats.

READ NEXT: 15 Best Healthy Treats for Dogs That Are USDA Certified Organic

Carob Crunchies Homemade Dog Treats Recipe

Reviews & Comments

Related posts