Smelly ears

Video: Ears smelly?

By Dr. Sherry Weaver

My almost five month-old Goldendoodle has smelly ears. I took her to the vet and was told that there weren`t any infection/mites. The vet did not smell the odor and recommended a weekly ear wash. I still notice the odor. Do you suggest anything additional that I can use that is not harmful and can be used as needed?

Thank you in advance for your time.
Debbie

Video: my ears smell like ass

Related: How to clean dogs’ ears

Dear Debbie,

Video: Home remedies for ear discharge |ear infection remedies

Unpleasant smells are usually signs of abnormalities. If your nose is as sensitive as mine, sometimes the problem can be subtle. If the smell is definitely coming from the ear, then I would still be suspicious that there is a problem with the ear.

It is common for labradoodles to stay wet around the mouth, which can cause a very sour smell on the face. First be sure that you do not smell a sour face, instead of smelly ears. If your dog`s face is dry most of the time or she doesn`t have long fur on her face, then I would be sure that your vet was able to visualize the entire ear canal with an otoscope. Sometimes puppies can be a little rambunctious and hard to fully examine!

If there is truly nothing wrong in the entire canal, and her face is not the culprit, my best recommendation is to buy an ear cleaner and use it every one to two weeks. If you ever get dark material that does not look like normal human earwax, then you should revisit the idea of infection with your veterinarian.

-Dr. Weaver

More in Ear care

Woman cuddling with dog in bed
To cuddle or not to cuddle...
Brown dog laying on purple bed.
A place of their own: What to look for in dog beds
Two brown dogs in a kennel.

Video: A 2-year-old Shih Tzu has black pigmented sour-smelly ears

Before disaster strikes: Have a plan for your dogs

Reviews & Comments

Related posts