What is the best dog food for your labrador retriever?

labrador-retriever-580596_1280

If you love your Labrador as much as I suspect, you will only want the best food for them.

Labradors are an active breed. They need their time at the dog park or out hunting with you. Daily exercise is key for avoiding obesity and joint problems.

However, you may wish to alter your food choices based on their activity level. If you are feeding a high-proteinyellow lab food but your dog doesn’t get much of a chance to exercises (such as in the wintertime), you may need to reduce their quantity amount to keep them from becoming overweight.

Too many dog foods have a large number of fillers in them. This not only means that your dog gets less usable calories, it also means that you need to feed them more in order to keep them nourished. The foods we review here are in an entirely different class. You will often need to greatly decrease the amount of food you put in their bowl because they are getting less corn and more meat. Each food will provide feeding guidelines based on weight.

You will find that I am a huge fan of feeding your dog as naturally as possible. Most of us do not have the time to dedicate to feeding our loved one a raw diet. However, there are several dog foods on the market that are nearly as good and are a great way to give your dog top-notch nutrition without sacrificing convenience from your busy lifestyle.

Labrador Kibble #1: Blue Buffalo Wilderness

blue wilderness dog foodBlue Buffalo is one of the absolutely best brands of dog food you can buy. And, when you compare it with all of the other high-end formulas, it is priced about perfectly.

What I like about Blue Buffalo for labs is that it is such a hypoallergenic formula. They don’t really market it as such, but when you go through the ingredients, you quickly pick up in the fact that it is grain free with no artificial preservatives or soy. Avoiding these common allergens are key for ensuring that your Labrador has a healthy coat and no gastrointestinal distress.

Secondly, I am a big fan of their salmon formula. Some labs tend to struggle with coat problems, and this formula helps circumvent that by providing a meal rich in essential fatty acids. Most lab owners find that their dogs’s coat has never looked better than when on Blue Buffalo.

This is probably the closest thing you can get to feeding them a raw diet without actually chopping the meat yourself.

Click To See The Blue Buffalo

Labrador Kibble #2: Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Formula

taste of the wild salmon hypo allergenic dog foodIf you are wanting a supremely economical option that doesn’t detract any value from your lab’s diet, you need to take a good look at Taste Of The Wild. Read through the reviews on Amazon. It’s pretty impressive.

What I like about this formula is the all-natural ingredients. You get smoked salmon and fruits and veggies. What more could you need?

As with the Blue Buffalo formula, this one is grainless. However, they go a little heavier on the potatoes as “filler”. While this is nowhere nearly as egregious as Blue Buffalo, it does bump it down in my opinion.

That said, they really redeem themselves with the fermented food products. A lot of research has been done on the benefit of fermented food in both the human and canine diet. Fermeneted foods help create an optimally healthy gastrointestinal tract to cut down on gas and boost the immune system.

And, you’ll see that I am still recommending the salmon formula for the better skin and coat protection.

For the money, the Taste Of The Wild is the best value dog food you are likely ever going to find.

Click Here To See The Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Formula on Amazon

Labrador Kibble #3 : Royal Canin Breed Specific

royal canin labrador dog foodI know that Royal Canin gets hated on for their breed-specific foods. A lot of people just think it is a marketing ploy.

While I don’t doubt that it is excellent marketing, I do believe that this formula is excellent for labs.

Royal Canin really out-did themselves to research health problems common to Labradors and formulate a food that would support those areas and help prevent problems later in life.

So you find that it has extra minerals to support healthy joint mobility. Vitamins to support eye health are included in order to help fight cataracts ( a common problem of older labs). And they use a high protein formula,m but keep the fat content low to prevent weight gain.

Lab owners absolutely adore this formula, and they make one specifically for Labrador puppies, too.

Video: good labrador retriever eat at table/ labrador retriever eet aan tafel full

I hope you found this list of foods helpful. Best wishes and many years of happiness to you and your lab!

Click To See The Royal Canin Labrador Specific Food

Reviews & Comments

Related posts