Can I feed my dog sweet potato? If I can should it be raw or cooked? Sweet potatoes are delicious and carry with them a lot of health benefits. They are packed with nutrients which play vital roles in the overall health of your pet. Unlike many treats, sweet potatoes for dogs offer chewy treats which are low in fats. Below we explore the nutrients found in sweet potatoes, their benefits to dogs, recipes and how to make various treats for your dog.
Sweet Potatoes for Dogs Nutritional Composition
- Sweet Potatoes for Dogs Nutritional Composition
- Amino Acids
- Beta Carotene
- Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
- Anti-carcinogenic Properties
- Blood Sugar Regulation
- Sweet Potato Dog Treats
- DIY Sweet Potato Chips for Dogs Recipe
- Dehydrating Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
- Sweet Potatoes for Dogs with Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
- Sweet Potatoes for Dogs With kidney failure, Cancer, Pancreatitis and allergies
- Sources and References
Sweet potatoes are a rich food. They are highly nutritious and perfect for making healthy vegan doggy treats. This ensures that dogs do not only enjoy them but also remain healthy while at it. Some nutrients found in sweet potatoes for dogs include:
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins A, B and C. These all play important roles in the overall health of your pet. Their deficiency will see them suffer a myriad of health related issues. Sweet potatoes help combat this.
Sweet potatoes for dogs contain high amounts of amino acids which are essential for their health.
They contain antioxidants helping to reduce oxidative stress in your pet. This is usually brought about by free radicals. When the body is free from free radicals, diseases such as cancer are kept at bay. They also contribute to the overall good health of vital organs.
Sweet potatoes are filled with minerals including magnesium, potassium, manganese, zinc, calcium, sodium, and iron. These all play vital roles in the health of your dog. Potassium is important in the maintenance of body fluids, preservation of nerve transmissions and functionality of the muscles.
Beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant and what gives the tuber an orange, yellow, gold and at times a purple color. It helps reduce risks on diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
Among some health benefits of sweet potatoes for dogs have been discussed above as reaped from the nutrients found in this tuber. In addition, sweet potatoes for dogs give the following additional benefits.
Loaded with a high fiber content and low in fats, sweet potatoes help in improving digestion for dogs. They can be used to replace raw hide. Due to their digestibility and high fiber, they are an appropriate filler food item for your pooch.
Orange sweet potatoes have anti-carcinogenic properties. Additionally, purple sweet potatoes contain cyanids and peonidins which have cancer- fighting abilities. These have a positive effect against the growth of cancer cells in dogs.
Blood Sugar Regulation
Sweet potatoes are safe for diabetic dogs. They have a low glycemic index which enables them to only release glucose to the blood stream slowly. They also produce hormones that help in regulating how insulin is metabolized in the body.
Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Chewable treats are important for dogs. They help to cleanse the teeth, strengthen jaws and keep dogs occupied. While raw hide makes for good chewable treats for dogs, they are vulnerable to microorganisms and bacteria. This increases the risks of illnesses that can be caused by them. They could also choke on the raw hide. Sweet potatoes on the other hand make for excellent chewable treats for dogs. Here are recipes for various DIY treats.
DIY Sweet Potato Chips for Dogs Recipe
To make some sweet potato treats for dogs, here is a recipe from Dogington Post
Video: How to Treat Diarrhoea | Foods & Healthy Recipes
- Preheat oven to 250° F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don’t discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!
- Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3″ slices, no smaller than 1/4″.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
The above dog sweet potato treats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. Frozen, they can last for up to 16 weeks. To allow for even cooking within the time, pick sweet potatoes with an even shape and size. While by the time the potatoes come out of the oven they may appear soft, this should change to a chewy treat once they have cooled. In case your dog loves crunchy stuff you could bake for an additional half an hour to achieve this.
Dehydrating Sweet Potatoes for Dogs
Another way to prepare sweet potato dog treats is using a food dehydrator. This helps by eliminating the water content in food allowing it to be preserved for longer. Dehydrated sweet potatoes for dogs offer a chewy treat that is healthy. Here is how to prepare them:
Video: How to Cure Cat Diarrhea with Home Cooked Turkey and Sweet Potato
- Lay down raw sweet potato and cut off the sides close to the edge. Slice off equal portions of the tuber while laying them down on the chopping board.
- Load the slices into the dehydrator while allowing some space in between to leave room for even cooking.
- Set your dehydrator according to manufacturer instructions. It might take between 10-12 hours to have them done.
- Once they are cooked, allow to cool down on the dehydrator racks.
- Place them in zip locks for refrigeration in necessary. These may last for up to two weeks.
Sweet Potatoes for Dogs with Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
Sweet potatoes are a recommended home remedy for stomach upsets in dogs. They are good for diarrhea and can be served with plain chicken to make your pooch get better. It can be used as a part of a bland meal to help your dog recover from diarrhea. Due to its high fiber content, it can also be used to solve other stomach issues in dogs.
Video: Making Rice for Sick Prepper Pup ( My Cure for Upset Tummy )
Sweet Potatoes for Dogs With kidney failure, Cancer, Pancreatitis and allergies
In addition to curing stomach upsets, sweet potatoes can be used to fight cancer due to their anti-oxidative properties which help it fight free radicals in dogs. Including them in a diet for dogs with kidney failure can help in managing the condition.
Sweet potatoes are low in fats and thus appropriate as part of a diet for dog suffering pancreatic. Unfortunately, sweet potatoes can worsen allergies in dogs suffering hormonal imbalance. However, it can be used as a replacement in dogs that suffer gluten intolerance.
Like any other meal, sweet potatoes for dogs should be served in moderation. Additionally, only feed your pet on cooked sweet potato dog food.