Alternatives to rawhide chews that are made from sweet potatoes

Video: Sweet Potato Dog Treat Recipe - GardenFork

These Interesting Alternatives to Rawhide Chews Are Made With Sweet Potato

Many veterinarians and experts in the pet industry do not recommend raw hide chews for dogs. Rawhide chews have caused many cases of choking and intestinal blockage in canines, and it is very easy for a dog to break off a small piece and get it lodged in his throat. Now there is a better option for pet parents who are looking to give their dog the chewing satisfaction that a rawhide treat can offer. Sam’s Yams, a brand by the Front Porch Pets company, has created a healthful chew made from sweet potatoes.

The original idea for the company came back in 2003 on a very hot night in the kitchen of Chef David. He became tired and decided it would be easier to throw the sweet potatoes that he had been working with into the dehydrator overnight.

He went to bed not knowing what to expect, but when he woke up in the morning a delicious aroma was coming from the kitchen. His dog, Jasper, was sitting directly below the dehydrator and he was drooling.

Chef David opened the dehydrator to find that the sweet potatoes looked a lot like a rawhide chew, only made from a vegetable. They were soft, but definitely chewy. He broke off a piece for Jasper and the dog quickly devoured it. Sam’s Yams Sweet Potato Dog Treats were born.

Some people have argued that rawhide may be bad for dogs. In fact, not only do rawhide treats pose a large choking hazard, but they are also made with a high level of preservatives, and some are even made with formaldehyde. Chef David wanted to give parents a better option, and that’s exactly what he has done.

Video: Sam's Yams Veggie Rawhides | Brittany and Penny review doggyloot

These unique dog treats are not processed, engineered foods that are tested in laboratories. They are chef-created using a single method that creates a superior treat – dehydration. That’s it. This ancient technique locks the nutrition and flavors of the food in, preserving it the same way that nature would by sun drying. There is nothing added to these dog treats. They are simply created with the whole foods unique to each blend, and that’s all. The company’s chefs have created an exciting menu of items over the years by mixing dried seeds, berries, nuts, and vegetables together to enhance the flavor of the chews.

These Interesting Alternatives to Rawhide Chews Are Made With Sweet Potato

I love the concept of these treats. In fact, before writing this article I ordered a package to try with my dogs. We do feed our dogs rawhide chews, but they are natural and don’t have a lot of the added chemicals that many big box store brands have. However, I know they still pose a choking hazard and we make sure to only give them to our girls when we are home.

Rawhide chews are especially great for our puppy because she is teething, but her razor sharp puppy teeth can chew through a rawhide and break it into pieces in no time. I’m excited to try these sweet potato chews as a healthier and safer option. The only thing I question is whether they will last as long as rawhides. Probably not, but I’ll keep you updated!

Front Porch Pets was named because they want to promote a natural and friendly next door neighbor feel to their products and their customer service. Their motto, “From our front porch to your front door” certainly makes them seem like a small town company. Companies that put their consumers first are always number one in my book. I mean, if it weren’t for us they wouldn’t be in business right?

The Sam’s Yams brand offers three options. Their Bichon Fries, which look like long, crinkle-cut French fries, are made for small breeds. They also make the traditional medium sized chews, Veggie Rawhides, and Big Boyz for large and extra-large breeds. The prices range from $4.99 to $12.49, which I thought was very reasonable. However, that is just the suggested price, so if you purchase them from a pet store they may cost a little more.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts