Review: only natural pet dog treats and chews

The push for healthier pet food has been escalating over the last few years. Dog owners want top quality food and treats for their pets with no artificial ingredients. Some dog food and treat manufacturers are taking this a step further by creating pet food diets that are based on diet trends for humans.

Many companies offer raw food diets, gluten free dog diets and some even offer vegan diets for pets. Only Natural Pet offers dog owners a Paleo-inspired line of dog food and treats for their canine companion. As the company’s name suggests, these products are all-natural and made with high quality ingredients. All Only Natural Pet products are preservative-, gluten-, GMO- and artificial ingredient-free.

You’ll notice in my video review, that I was sent many products from the company to test. I was given these products in exchange for my honest review. Since I was sent a number of products, I decided to break the review into two parts. Last week I discussed the EasyRaw Dehydrated Dog Food that I was given, and this week I’ll discuss the treats and chews.

For more details on these products and information about the Paleo diet for dogs, take a look at our interview: The Low Down on the Paleo Diet for Dogs.

Only Natural Pet Dog Chews and Treats Review

Only Natural Pet Dog Treats and Chews Review

Video: Only Natural Pet Dog Treats and Chews Review

Low Odor Bully Sticks and Free Range Buffalo Ears

Pet parents are being warned about the dangers of rawhide chews, but what alternatives are there for dogs that enjoy chewing? Only Natural Pet offers two healthy solutions that do not pose the choking hazard associated with rawhide chews.

Their Low Odor Bully Sticks are made from cattle sourced in the United States that is raised antibiotic- and hormone-free. These single ingredient chews are made with 100% beef pizzle, and that’s it! They are high in protein and low in fat. Not to mention, they are easily digestible, which is another advantage over traditional rawhide chews.

You can purchase these bully sticks in 6-, 12- and 18-inch varieties. I was sent a package of the 6-inch sticks. They are about as big around as a dime. You wouldn’t think it would take an aggressive chewer very long to eat these, but it took our puppy about 30 minutes to finish one stick.

The Free Range Buffalo Ears were also a big hit in our house. These come from grass fed, free range water buffalo that are also raised without hormones or antibiotics. The unique and durable texture of these chews are much different than pig ears. I was pleasantly surprised with their quality.

We’ve fed our girls pig ears many times, but they only last a few minutes. Our puppy was able to savor these ears for 10-15 minutes, which may not sound like much but it’s about 5 times longer than she chews a pig ear of the same size.

These chews are also great for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. This is a big concern for our older dog, but many of the dental chews on the market are full of artificial ingredients so we usually don’t purchase them. These buffalo ears are a great all-natural alternative.

All Meat Bites

Only Natural Pet All Meat Bites are exactly what they sound like. Small pieces of 100% freeze-dried meat. They are completely natural with no preservatives or fillers of any kind. I was sent the bison liver bites, and our dogs loved them! They are definitely a new favorite in our home.

The meat is raw before it is freeze-dried, so these little bites offer all the benefits of uncooked meat. I recommended these to a couple of friends, as they are grain and gluten free, so they are an ideal dog treat for pets with allergies or grain sensitivities.

These treats are available in a variety of flavors including chicken breast, bison, beef, wild salmon and duck liver. As you may have guessed, all the animals used to make these products are also hormone- and antibiotic-free.

In my video I explain the difference between our two dogs. Our puppy will eat anything put in front of her and our older dog is very picky. Both our girls loved these treats! I’ve only found eight different types of dog treats that our picky eater likes. They are all jerky treats…until now. She loves the freeze-dried bison liver.

HealthTreats Jerky Bites

Jerky treats have always been a favorite in our home. Not just with the two dogs we have now, but with all the dogs we’ve ever had. The string of recent recalls on canine jerky treat products has many dog owners staying away, but you won’t have to worry about any issues like that with these jerky treats.

Video: Only Natural Pet - Dog Bone Haul

HealthTreats Jerky Bites are made from 95% meat. I received the venison and lamb blend, but they are also available in beef and chicken & venison varieties. The protein is sourced from New Zealand free range cattle, New Zealand free range venison and cage-free chicken.

The ingredients in the venison and lamb treats that I was given include: venison, lamb, dried chicory root, vegetable glycerin, sea salt, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative). Not only did our dogs love these jerky treats, but our cats went crazy for them too!

These are great for training treats. I use them often with our puppy. They are moist and easy to break apart so I can give her very small pieces. Like other jerky treats that are made with real meat, you can smell the protein as soon as you open the bag.

The smell drives our dogs crazy, which I believe is another reason they work so well as training treats. The scent motivates our pup to do what I ask her to. I also like that they are soft and moist, as our older dog does not have very many teeth and these are gentle on her gums. They come in a resealable bag to keep them from drying out as well.

Raw Nibs Freeze Dried Food

You’re probably wondering why I am including a “food” in this review. Shouldn’t I have included this product in the dog food review that I did last week? Yes, it is true that you can use these Raw Nibs as a dog food, but we like them better as a treat or food topper.

These nibblets are made from free-range protein sources too, and the animals are antibiotic- and hormone-free. They also include quality, whole vegetables that are completely raw before freeze-drying. Raw goats milk and raw apple cider vinegar are also added to improve digestion.

The nibblets are quite small – about the size of a pea. They are the perfect training treat, and they also work really well in our treat dispensing and puzzle toys. As I mentioned, you can use these freeze-dried raw nibs as a complete diet. However, in our home we found they were better suited as treats or food toppers to give our dog the extra boost of protein.

Summary of Only Natural Pet Dog Treats and Chews Review

PROS: Obviously, the health benefits are the main advantage to feeding these treats and chews over other products. They are made with top quality ingredients which will aid in your dog’s overall health and well-being.

Video: All-Natural, Long Lasting Only Natural Pet Mega Cow Tail Dog Chews

They provide more of the nutrients that your pet requires than virtually any other dog treat on the market. Feeding your dog a better quality diet means that he is less likely to have health issues, saving you money and adding years to his life.

CONS: After reading this review you’re probably wondering what the drawbacks to these dog treats and chews could possibly be. Although they are super healthy, made with quality ingredients here in the U.S. and free from artificial ingredients, chemicals and toxins, they do have a downside – the price.

Of course, the prices vary depending on the size and flavor that you select, but here are the prices for the products that I received:

• Low Odor Bully Sticks – 5 pack – $25.99
  • Free Range Buffalo Ears – 3 pack – $5.99
  • All Meat bites – 7 ounce package – $24.99
  • HealthTreats Jerky Bites – 4 ounce package – $7.99
  • Raw Nibs Freeze-Dried Food – 9 ounce package – $21.99

Remember that the price reflects the ingredients used in the making of these products. The ingredients are of higher quality than those in most other dog treats, so of course the price is going to be higher. If you can add these treats into your budget, they are an excellent choice.

Now it’s your turn

Reviews & Comments

Related posts