College campus allows grad students to have pets in their dorms

Being a college student is full of the excitement of independence, making new friends, and (hopefully) preparing for a satisfying life-long career. But it can also a time of high stress, pressure, and homesickness.

Video: RAY'S WEEKEND | Sister Goes to College! Dorm Room Shopping & Tour!

That’s why Tennessee’s Lincoln Memorial University (LMU) in Harrogate came up with, what could be, a long-term solution: allowing pets to move in with students!

Currently, they are testing out the pilot program for a pet-friendly residence hall. Seventeen grad students are participating, and the program is expected to last for two years. Permitted companions are cats, dogs, and reptiles.

“I come home and he just licks me and he’s so happy, and I’m so happy too,” says Kristina Aranaz of her dog Chico in a story by NBC’s WBIR. Aranaz is a first year veterinary student.

Kendra Harper, a second year vet student, spent her first year without her pet Kitty Norris by her side. But this year, her cat companion was able to move into the dorm with her.

“I didn’t think it was going to be that big of a deal but when I came down last year for my first year of vet school she wasn’t here and it was just too quiet, I hated not having her here,” she said in the news story.

Animal-toting students are charged a $150, which covers pet ID tags and flea treatment.

You might think that students are too busy with their studies and social life to care for their pets, but those in the program say it’s not the case. In fact, their favorite animals are making life away from home much more comfortable and relaxing.

It makes sense that this program is being tested on the more-mature grad students rather than college freshmen. Should the program prove successful, we’d assume that there would be some criteria as to which students were permitted to bring animals, as well as exclusive pet-friendly dorm buildings.

Video: Top 10 Hardest Colleges To Get Into

As it turns out, LMU isn’t the only college to consider allowing 4-legged companions on campus. Check out College Rank’s 20 Most Pet Friendly College Campuses.

Do you think more college campuses should consider having pet-friendly dorm programs?

(Note: Pictures in post are not from the pet program at Lincoln Memorial University.)

(h/t: WBIR)

Reviews & Comments

Related posts