Does a destructive dog need prozac?

Is that question for real??? I have heard people talk about this before, and IMHO it is irresponsible to even consider it without trying a lot of TLC first. So the following is one of my “rants”!

There may be a few rare medical instances where it could be called for, but I would have to let Dogington’s Dr. Chris address this issue.

Here’s why I feel so strongly about this: a couple of the first dogs we had were destructive, especially when pups. Fortunately, someone tipped us that it may simply be nothing more than lack of activity and exercise for them. So, we tested that theory out by keeping them penned in “their” special room when we weren’t home, then immediately took them for a walk or playtime when one of us got home. Problem mostly solved, and eventually they grew out of that frustrating little phase of their lives.

Have you ever had a bad case of cabin fever? You know what I mean, you have been holed up in your home due to bad weather or illness, and are absolutely climbing the walls to go outside and get a bit of exercise. This is exactly how your dog feels if they are constantly cooped up and never get to go for a run or walk. The problem with dogs is than many, if not most, will react to this feeling by being obnoxious, and taking their frustrations out by exhibiting destructive behavior.

So, does a destructive dog need Prozac?

To answer the question does a destructive dog need Prozac we first need to consider the dog and his circumstances. Yes there probably are times when certain breeds of dogs will benefit from a low daily dosage of medication to calm them down, but these are rare instances and should only be considered after all other avenues are explored, and a vet recommends it.

The best “medication” is get up off your butt and take your dog out for a walk or playtime, IMHO!

Video: Peter Caine : Prozac withdrawl in dogs

Continued on page 2…

Reviews & Comments

Related posts