Dog shock collars controversy: what do the experts say?

Video: Remote Collar - Shock Collar - E Collar - Humane or Inhumane?

Dog Shock Collars Controversy - What Do the Experts Say

It’s no secret that dog shock collars are a controversial option for training a dog. Most people are incredibly divided on whether or not they should be used. Some people love them and swear by them, while other pet parents call them cruel, and refuse to even consider them. So where should you stand on the use of dog shock collars?

It’s very clear that like with any other dog training methods and products, there are people out there who don’t use electric dog training collars in the manner that they are intended. However, this doesn’t mean that everyone who uses an electronic collar on their dog is doing so with complete disregard of their pet’s health. I know what you’re thinking right now, but hear me out!

Video: E collar!! Does it hurt? Part 2. It's Shocking what the children say.

Last month, Patrick Lumontod has published an excellent article on training collars for dogs. It included thorough research into the matter and some science behind using these products. As a trainer and aspiring research, he concluded several things in the article:

1. There’s still a lack of thorough research on the pros and cons of these devices;
  2. All of the studies showing either benefits or side effects are poorly designed;
  3. There is a way to use dog collars with total safety and no harm to the dog;
  4. When a dog is harmed, it’s usually due to inadequate use of the collar or poor quality products.
  5. In conclusion, it’s still better to opt for training dogs without the use of shock collars.

With that being said, there’s clear evidence that professionals – those being experienced dog trainers – have found an effective way to train dogs using shock collars with absolutely zero harm to the dog. Many have shared their advice for the open-minded dog owners who would listen and outlined exactly how this can be done.

Taken into account that these professional dog trainers started their careers out of love for dogs, and have successfully worked with hundreds of pets, I think the least we can do is listen to what they have to say. As an example, back in December 2015, Top Dog Tips editor in chief Samantha has interviewed on these dog trainers. Here’s the full interview.

Electronic Collar Manufacturers AssociationDid you know that there’s even an official electric training collar organization? That’s right – they are based out of Belgium and they oversee and regulate manufacturing and use of electric collars for dogs. It’s called Electronic Collar Manufacturers Association™ (or ECMA).

ECMA ensures that dog trainers are properly trained to use the devices, and that only top quality equipment is being employed. They even teach future dog trainers, and award trainers for proper, safe and effective training of dogs.

Dog trainers do understand the potential dangers of these devices if not used properly, and they do take the use of dog shock collars very seriously.

“Those dog trainers wouldn’t use a shock collar on themselves though.”

Actually, they do. Many dog trainers test the collar to know exactly what the dog will be receiving.

Pavlok - human shock collarNot only that, but there are even popular “human shock collar” type devices out there. Surprised? Me too. Recently, I accidentally stumbled upon this one – Pavlok – which inspired me to write this post. There are other products just like this where a shock stimuli is used on a person to “train” them for a variety of different reasons.

Please note that this article is not about encouraging or discouraging you from using dog shock collars with your Fido. If you’re not familiar with the device, don’t have the appropriate equipment, and haven’t taught yourself how to use electronic collars, then I would strongly advise against that.

The purpose of this article is to take an objective look at the arguments for and against using shock collars for dogs based on what experienced has to say about them. Dog owners considering using a dog shock collar to train their pets will benefit from this overview. Using this device is not a decision to take lightly, so buckle up and let’s see what’s the opinion out there.

RECOMMENDED READ: How To Use Shock Collars In A Humane Fashion

Dog Shock Collars Controversy: What the Experts Are Saying About Using Them?

Dog Shock Collars Controversy

Reviews & Comments

Related posts