How to puppy proof your home: important tips on what you need to do

Learning how to puppy proof your home is essential before or right after you adopt a puppy and bring him into your house or apartment. The so-called “puppy proofing” means keeping your new dog safe and your own home in tact. Some of these tips on how to puppy proof your house I give you below and in my video above may sound like common sense, but some pet parents How To Puppy Proof Your Home Videoforget about them; other tips will certainly surprise you.

Just like young children, puppies learn about their world by exploring. They use their paws and their mouths to investigate their environment. Unfortunately, this can also get them into a lot of trouble.

A puppy’s natural curiosity is a large part of what makes them so much fun, but it can also lead them into some very dangerous situations. It’s your responsibility as pet owners to learn how to puppy proof your home in order to keep your pooch safe.

Video: How To Puppy Proof Your House

How To Puppy Proof Your Home: A Step-By-Step Video Guide

How To Puppy Proof Your Home

1. Choose a puppy that fits your environment

Learning how to puppy proof your home starts before you even begin looking for your new canine companion. You need to think about your home – both inside and out.

Video: How To Pet Proof Your Home for New Pet Owners

Do you have plenty of space for a large breed dog, or is your home better suited for a small breed? Think about that size comparison for a moment. A bigger dog requires more than just a larger area.

You’ll need to do a lot more puppy proofing for a larger dog. If you choose to adopt a small breed, you can place things on bookshelves, coffee tables and other places that are too high for your tiny pup to reach.

Video: How to Pet Proof Your House

Large breed puppies grow quickly. You may be able to get away with this for the first couple of weeks, but as your dog gets bigger you’re going to need to do a lot more puppy proofing.

For more tips and ideas on picking the right dog for your lifestyle and environment, listen to my 2nd podcast episode where I discuss this topic in more detail.

Basically, you’ll need to keep things out of reach, which will likely mean moving them to a cupboard or closet. It will also be more difficult to contain a large breed puppy. Small breeds will have a hard time escaping a pet gate, but a large breed could jump right over one if you’re not paying attention.

Do you have the time and patience to work with a large breed puppy? Can you afford the added expense? The bigger the dog, the more expensive the supplies will be to keep him safe. You’ll need a bigger crate, playpen or pet gate to accommodate your growing buddy.

RECOMMENDED READ: 10 Tips for Picking Out the Best Extra Large Dog Crate

How To Puppy Proof Your Home

Reviews & Comments

Related posts