How to stop dog nail bleeding: an instructional video guide

Video: How To Stop Dog Nail Bleeding

Doing a few at-home grooming tasks can save you a lot of money over the course of the year. Bathing, brushing and clipping your pet’s nails are simple things that you can do to save yourself time and money. As long as you understand how to stop dog nail bleeding, you shouldn’t have any trouble.

I know a lot of dog owners are nervous about trimming their furry friend’s nails. It is an intimidating task, but you shouldn’t stress about it. As long as you are careful and do a bit of studying beforehand, you should be fine.

How To Stop Dog Nail BleedingIf you’re a first time nail clipper, I recommend watching the beneficial video guide that I’ve created. I’ve linked it and attached the video at the bottom of this article.

Once you understand what needs to be done, it’s just a matter of relaxing and getting to work. Remember, if you’re nervous and stressed your dog will sense that and his anxiety will grow too. Just stay calm.

If your dog has white nails, it will be easy to see the pink quick through the nail. If your dog has black or brown nails, it will be impossible to tell exactly where the quick is. You want to focus on only clipping off the pointed end of the nail.

Video: How to Treat a Dog's Bleeding Nails : Dog Grooming

The worst thing that can happen is that you clip a little too much nail and accidentally cut into the quick. Don’t worry. Even the most experienced dog groomers do this once in a while. If you understand how to stop dog nail bleeding you’ll be able to rectify the problem in just a few seconds.

How To Stop Dog Nail Bleeding: An Instructional Video Guide

How To Stop Dog Nail Bleeding

Supplies you’ll need

Styptic powder is the product used by most professional groomers when needing to know how to stop dog nail bleeding. Styptic powder is a clotting agent that works by contracting the blood vessels.

Not only will styptic powder stop the bleeding, it also prevents bacteria from getting into the bloodstream. It’s available at virtually every pet store, and is fairly affordable. Cardinal Laboratories makes one of the most popular brands of styptic powder, and you can pick up 1.5-ounce container on Amazon for under $9.

how to stop dog nail bleedingStyptic pencils can also be used. They are very similar, but they come in a much easier to use form. All you have to do is press the tip of the pencil on your pet’s nail instead of pressing a pinch of powder onto his nail.

Considering that you only use a pinch of this powder when you need it, it’s very affordable. Chances are, you’ll be able to use one container for many years. However, if you’re looking for safer or more affordable options there are a few things you can use that you’ll likely find right in your kitchen cupboard.

FURTHER READING: 6 Tips for Cutting Your Dog’s Nails

Video: How to Stop my Pet from Bleeding.wmv

When learning how to stop dog nail bleeding, you probably already have the supplies that you need. As you’ll see in my video guide, I use corn starch to clot the blood. You can also use baking soda, flour or scent free soap.

I prefer to use corn starch because it seems to work the best, but flour works well too if you don’t have corn starch on hand. I prefer these methods as they are chemical free, and styptic powder is also said to sting a little bit.

Video: How to cut a dogs nails - Bonnie Dogs

I’ve used styptic powder in the past, and it didn’t seem to bother my dogs at all. However, most experts in the field will tell you that it will leave a mild stinging sensation, so I prefer the all-natural method.

How To Stop Dog Nail Bleeding

Reviews & Comments

Related posts