Interview: tips and tricks for family dog training

Tips and Tricks for Family Dog TrainingEach week I get the opportunity to speak with an expert in the pet industry, and this week I was fortunate enough to have a conversation with Paul Emerson, CPDT-KA (Certified Pet Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed). He is the co-founder of Family Dog Training, a positive, force-free dog training facility in Massachusetts. Paul has been working with dogs since 1977, which is when he purchased his first Bernese Mountain Dog.

Video: Dog Training Online - Doggy Dan Interview

I was surprised to find out that Paul didn’t grow up with dogs. Typically people who work with dogs have been around them their entire lives. The passion for canines is instilled in them at a young age and they find a way to turn it into a career. Paul actually acquired his first dog as an adult.

He began training dogs professionally in 1991, and founded Family Dog Training in 2008. When the exam to achieve the status of Certified Professional Dog Trainer was first offered in the fall of 2001, Paul was one of the first to pass it. He keeps his certification active by participating in continuing education to stay current with the latest knowledge and skills in the dog training industry.

Video: Best Training Tips | Dog Tricks

Paul is a former president of the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of Nashoba Valley (BMDCNV),which covers the New England states. He’s also a past rescue chair of the BMDCNV and was also the first draft work chairman of the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America. Currently, Paul is a professional member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, the training resource chair for the BMDCNV and has been a long-time Draft Judge for the Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America.

On top of all of this, he’s also an American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen evaluator and a member of Truly Dog Friendly (TDF). TDF is a national organization that promotes non-violent training methods. He co-founded Family Dog Training with follow trainer Bridget Desroshes.

Video: Ian Dunbar interview with Kristin Morrison for the Prosperous Pet Summit

Tips and Tricks for Family Dog Training

Interview: Tips and Tricks for Family Dog Training

I wanted to jump into the conversation with Paul talking about kids and dogs. Because he works with so many families he sees a lot of different dynamics and he’s had a lot of experience working together with dogs and children. It’s important for families to be on the same page when bringing a dog into their home.

One of the best tips that Paul shared with me was to make sure that you have time for a dog if you’re thinking of adopting one. Oftentimes families don’t realize the time commitment that a new dog will require. Depending on the ages of the children and the family’s schedule, they may not have enough free time to devote to a dog.

If you’re already complaining that your life is too busy, chances are you won’t have time for a dog. If you want to adopt one, you’ll need to sacrifice some of your previous commitments.

Families with children are typically very busy. There are school functions, sporting events and social commitments that they need to attend. Chances are the parents are already spending most of the day at work and the kids are probably gone to school for at least 8 hours.

Video: Easy Dog-Training Tips from Brandon McMillan!

All of this time spent away from home is not a good environment to bring a dog into. Paul told me that 8 hours is the absolute maximum that a dog should be left home in a kennel or by himself. Anything more than that, and the dog is getting too much down time during the day.

This will either create a destructive dog or an overweight dog. Your dog needs activity throughout the day. If you’re going to be gone for more than 8 hours, you should hire a dog walker, pet sitter or take your pup to daycare. If this isn’t feasible for your budget, then it’s probably not the right time for you to get a pet.

Training dogs with children

Tips and Tricks for Family Dog Training

Reviews & Comments

Related posts