Mysterious bridge in scotland has dogs leaping to their death

The Overtoun Bridge has claimed the lives of hundreds of dogs…who have jumped to their deaths. It’s thought that the structure could be haunted.

Video: The Mystery of Overtoun Bridge

The historic bridge, built in 1895, is located in Milton, Scotland. And for many dog walkers, a casual stroll with their pup has turned into a nightmare.

The Haunted Bridge

The bridge’s deadly draw only seems to effect long-nosed breeds like Labs, Collies, and Retrievers. What’s more, they always seem to plummet on the same spot: near the end of the bridge, on the right;hand side, and on clear, sunny days.

Kenneth Meikle recounts a walk with his Golden Retriever Hendrix that quickly turned to terror in an article by Daily Mail:

Video: Top 5 Animal suicidal cases

I was out walking with my partner and children when suddenly the dog just jumped. My daughter screamed, and I ran down the bank to where the dog lay and carried her up to safety.

As I did so, her hair started to fall out. It must have been shock because when we got her home, she shook all night.

Next day, thank goodness, she was fine. We were lucky because she landed on a moss bed which broke her fall.

Hendrix and her family were extremely fortunate, but dozens of others–perhaps hundreds–were not.

50 Dogs Fell 50 Feet In 50 Years

According to Daily Mail, as of 2006, 50 dogs have leapt off the 50 foot bridge in the past 50 years. Although the first reports of these deaths predate the 1960’s, the same sinister force (if that’s the culprit) may have had to do with a chilling murder that occurred in 1994.

Video: Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Jumpers - Suicides #4

Local Kevin Moy was 32 when he tossed his infant son over the bridge, resulting in his death. Thinking the baby was Satan and he the anti-Christ, the paranoid Moy then tried to throw himself off the bridge, but his wife was able to thwart his suicide attempt.

Donna Cooper, a woman who’s Collie fell victim to the bridge’s “curse,” told Daily Mail, “Rumour has it that [Moy] was on drugs, but he insisted the place was haunted and it does seem to have a strange effect on people and dogs.”

Video: The haunted | suicide | overtoun bridge

Believers in the supernatural may think Moy was possessed by some demonic presence, but why are dogs predominantly affected by the evil entity? Perhaps it’s because our canine counterparts tend to be much more perceptive to sensing things that are unseen.

Other Theories

Of course, the explanation of “paranormal activity” isn’t easily accepted by many skeptics. While it’s thought that dogs don’t technically have “suicidal intentions,” it’s possible that the plummeting pups had absorbed the despair felt by depressed owners. But is it likely that all these dogs were pets of people who were suicidal and depressed?

Another possibility is that the overwhelming scent of mink wafts up from below the bridge’s rafters, exciting the dogs’ senses. The smell can be particularly potent on clear, sunny days as opposed to wet, dreary ones. Because the bridge’s walls are high enough to obstruct a canine’s view of the ground below, curious pups may be eager to pursue the mink, jumping up to what they think is a solid surface, then making an accidental plunge.

Whatever the case, locals have learned that the safest way to approach the bridge with their pups–if at all–is to keep them securely fastened on their leashes.

Have you ever heard of this mysterious bridge?

(h/t: Daily Mail)

Reviews & Comments

Related posts