Sergeant honors his highly decorated military dog with heartfelt memorial tattoo

Dogs are our best friends, and sometimes, they’re are guardian angels.

That was certainly the case for Sergeant Dave Heyhoe and his military dog, Treo.

Accompanying Sergeant Heyhoe to Afghanistan, the pup was able to sniff out explosives before they were detonated. Because of his bravery and amazing abilities, countless lives were saved, including his handler’s, many times over. Aside from his heroic work, Treo provided a calming presence and company to his fellow soldiers.

For his service, this valiant pup was awarded the PDSA Dickin Medal, the highest honor an animal can achieve.

Although they loved working together, Sergeant Heyhoe says that he considered Treo family- he was as proud of his pooch as any father could be of a child.

In October of last year, the hero, family member, and companion passed away at the age of 14. Heyhoe honored his beloved dog with a tattoo made of ink and Treo’s ashes, a memorial to keep with him for the rest of his life.

I will lay down my life for you and expect nothing but love in return.
I protect my Dad with my life and would gladly take a bullet in his place.
I find weapons and bombs. I am the first sent in and sometimes the last to leave.
I am the nose and ears of my Dad. I protect and serve him.
I would die for him and for you.
I only ask for compassion and a kind word.

The heartfelt sentiment of this poem is easy to relate to for anyone who has a dog: of all the things they do for us, they only want our love in return.

Still, it’s hard to imagine the loss that Sergeant Heyhoe feels after losing the dog who lived to save his life- but there’s no doubt that this guardian angel is now in a wonderful place! Rest in peace, Treo.

If you want to hear real war stories about Sergeant Heyhoe and Treo, you can purchase his book, It’s All About Treo.

Video: Eddie, a military dog, receives retirement party

(Featured images adapted from the SSAFA, The Armed Forces Charity Facebook page.)

Reviews & Comments

Related posts