Military dog adopted by family of fallen soldier- final promise is fulfilled

Sergeant Joshua Ashley, a 23-year-old marine, found comfort and companionship in his service dog Sirius while he was serving in Afghanistan.

Tragically, the young soldier was killed by an improvised explosive device in July 2012, and he never made it back to his family in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Although Sirius was by his side, the German Shepherd survived.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.10.38 AM
Screenshot: CBS LA

Joshua’s mother Tammie Ashley explained that after serving, her son wanted to adopt the 4-year-old GSD. During their last conversation, Joshua asked his mother if she’d keep Sirius at home until he finished his time in the marines or settled somewhere. Little did anyone know that that time would come so soon.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.10.53 AM
Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.11.05 AM

When her son passed away, Tammie was given the opportunity to take Sirius home. But at only 4-years-old, he was still able to serve, so she opted to let him continue fighting for America.

Sirius went on deployment one more time, but never bonded with his new handlers like he had with Sergeant Ashley. When he was back on US soil, it became apparent he had PTSD. At its worst, his jaws were locked onto a ball, and once vets released it, they had to wire his mouth shut.

Luckily, Tammie Ashley had already begun the legal process of adopting Sirius, fulfilling the promise she had made to her son four years ago- and she couldn’t have been happier to bring him into the family. “I know I’m bringing a piece of my son home,” she said in an article by The Daily Bulletin.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.11.57 AM

When it was time to take him home, it seems that the German Shepherd, now 8-years-old, knew he was finally going to be living with the family of his fallen master.

“I got down, and he just jumped on me, and he started licking my face…I felt like it was Josh saying, ‘You’re here to pick him up,’” said Tammie in The Daily Bulletin.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.10.50 AM

It’s been a over a week, and Sirius seems to feel right at home with his master’s mother and two brothers. At the same time, the Ashley family feels like their brave son and brother has finally returned home, in a some way.

“It’s like getting a little piece of my brother back home with us, so it’s really nice having him around,” younger brother Jordan said of Sirius in a story by CBS LA.

Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 9.30.48 AM
Jordan Ashley with Sirius. Screenshot: CBS LA

“I love Sirius so much, like he was one of my children…I just know Josh is watching over us and saying, ‘Thank you, mom,`” said Tammie in The Daily Bulletin.

Our hearts go out to this family. Thank you to Sergeant Ashley and Sirius for your service, as well as the sacrifices made by the Ashley family.

Click here to see additional photos from The Daily Bulletin and watch the CBS LA story below:

Video: From Afghanistan with love: Soldiers reunited with dogs they promised to not leave behind

Reviews & Comments

Related posts