The 10 best automatic cat litter box reviews 2016-2017

Looking for a cat litter box was on my agenda for a long time but I was extremely hesitant. On the one hand, an automatic one would save a lot of time and hassle - especially when we travel or come home late from work. On the other hand, I just wasn`t too sure about which ones were good. There are so many on the market too that it didn`t help my analysis paralysis! If you are like me in the past and have absolutely no idea what to look for when it comes to cat litter boxes, you`re in luck because I decided to share my reviews of the ones I have tried. We love our cats but we can all agree that cat waste and odor is definitely not the most pleasant! Investing in the best automatic cat litter box can really help you in your daily cleaning chores when it comes to your cat. Automatic litter boxes, especially, can really help to ease your workload (who needs another chore on the list!?) In this article, I compare the 10 best automatic litter boxes for cats to help you make an informed choice.

How Automatic Litter Boxes Can Help?

• Saves time - in this day and age where we are all so busy, who wants to spend time dealing with cat litter? It`s a lot easier and more efficient to automate the process and free up your time for other more important things. You won`t find yourself scooping cat litter every single day. Instead, you`ll only be doing it once in a while.
  • Hygiene - for your cat for for yourself. Using an automatic litter box means you do not have to really come into contact with cat litter. If you use non-clumping litters, you`d know that they can get filthy and out of control quickly even if you scoop daily. The urine-soaked clay left behind makes it unpleasant for your home as well as for your cat. Your cat`s box will also always remain clean without your consistent `work` to clean up. You won`t be getting bad odors as well. It`s a win-win situation isn`t it?
  • Pamper your cat - our cats really don`t ask for much. They just want love, food and a basic clean bathroom. Giving your cat an automatic litter box really provides a better clean-smelling environment (don`t forget - cats have a much more sensitive sense of smell than us. If you want compare it in our human world equivalent, it`s like using a proper, fresh toilet as compared to a portable bathroom! A pretty clear choice if you ask me.

Also Read: My review on Omega

Best Self Cleaning Automatic Cat Litter Box Reviews - Comparison Table

Litter BoxMy NotesMultiple Cats?Check Price:My Rating Out of 5
Litter Robot III
Super strong & durable. Self cleaning. Rotator. Automatic night light. Reduces odor.YesCheck Latest Price Here4.8
Litter Robot LRII
Patented sifting design. No rakes/wires. Rotating.YesCheck Latest Price Here4.7
ScoopFree
Covered trap. Self cleans for weeks! Very effective at reducing odors.YesCheck Latest Price Here4.7
CatGenie
Self Flushing. Washes itself clean!Yes but no more than 3.Check Latest Price Here4.5
LitterMaid Classic LM580 Strong, durable, high wall design, safety barNo.Check Latest Price Here4.4
SmartScoop
Smart sensorYesCheck Latest Price Here4.3
LitterMaid
Very strong & durable with removable rakeYes. Great for larger cats too.Check Latest Price Here4.6
PetSafe Simply Clean Uses less clumping litterYesCheck Latest Price Here4.5
PetZone SmartScoop 4 times quieter than others. Easy to clean.YesCheck Latest Price Here4.3
Catitn Design Smartsift
Simple, minimalistic design. No motorized pieces.Yes. All sizes.Check Latest Price Here4.0

Top 10 Reviews of the Best Automatic Cat Litter Boxes 2016-2017

Litter Robot III

Dimensions: 26.8 x 24.4 x 29.1 inches

My Rating: 4.8

If you are looking for something unique for your cat, you`d want to get this litter box that will make other cat owners envious. This Litter-Robot III Open-Air box isn’t just an automatic one, it is a lot more than that. In my opinion, it`s the best cat litter box and lots of people agree it`s worth every cent.

This is a sturdy litter box which will impress anyone with its high tech functions. I love the look of it and I initially thought my cat might not like it yet Lilo has really taken to it! Read our Litter Robot Review here.

Product Features:

• Automatic Self-cleaning (Start to work after 7 minutes after cat leaves)
  • Designed to reduce odor
  • Easy to use & clean
  • Uses any clumping litter
  • Great for multiple cats
  • 18-month warranty
  • Big opening
  • Night light!

Check Latest Price Here

Litter Robot LRII Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box

Dimensions: 24 x 22 x 29 inches

My Rating: 4.7

This is a self-cleaning and automatic kitty litter box with weight activated sensor. It has a clean cycle system with slow rotation of the globe for the cleaning job.

Product Features:

• Patented sifting process which clean litter automatically
  • Deposits waste in large-capacity drawer
  • Easy & safe to use
  • Works without rakes so you don`t have clogging/jamming problems
  • Cleans litter automatically after every use
  • Comes with 18 month warranty
  • Built with a weight activated sensor that can detect when your cat enters

How it Works – In this automatic cleaning litter box, the weight-activated sensor detects when your cat enters the box. A clean cycle starts after 7 minutes and rotates the globe slowly in counter-clockwise direction to sift and separate clumps from the litter and deposit waste in a large capacity drawer. Click here for more details aboutHypo-allergenic - grain clay.

Check Latest Price Here

ScoopFree Self-Cleaning Litter Box

Dimensions: 27.4 x 19 x 7 inches

My Rating: 4.7

A self-cleaning litter box which offers hands-off convenience and superior odor control. Load ScoopFree with the disposable litter tray which is already filled with crystals which absorb moisture and odor and dehydrate the solid. When I had this odorless litter box for two years, I was very happy with it and didn`t have any problems. Read my in depth Scoop Free Litter Box Review Here

Product Features:

• Premium Blue Crystals controls odor
  • Litter box is dust free
  • Does not stick to cat’s paws
  • Rakes waste into closed waste compartment
  • Safety sensors
  • Disposable litter trays

How it Works – Uses a disposable crystal litter which absorbs liquid waste and dries out solid waste. System rakes automatically to clean the litter. Solid waste is sealed in odor-controlling and covered waste trap. Click here for more details about refill trays with premium blue crystals and box privacy hood.

Check Latest Price Here

CatGenie Self Washing Self Flushing Cat Box

Dimensions: 24.5 x 19.2 x 21 inches

My Rating: 4.5

This is the world’s only self-flushing and self-washing cat box with washable granules. I was fascinated by this brand which my cat loving cousin swore was the best litterbox. The box is germ, odor, dust and litter free and automatically washes, sanitizes and dries itself. Read my full review of Cat Genie here!

Product Features:

• Flushes waste and cleans itself
  • 100% dust free!
  • Washable granules used instead of clay litter so your cat can still dig and cover to its heart`s content
  • Includes biodegradable & recyclable cartridge
  • Several activation choices
  • Perfect for 1-2 cats but no more than 3 cats
  • Needs to hook up to electricity and cold water

How it Works – Recommended to install in a bathroom where there`s access to cold water. This is an automatic and self-flushing cat box which flushes away the waste after use and washes itself clean without you having to do anything at all. Click here for more details aboutfresh scent cartridges and washable granules.

Check Latest Price Here

Pet Zone Smart Scoop Automatic Litter Box

Dimensions: 26.5 x 16.9 x 7.6 inches

My Rating: 4.3

This is a self-cleaning automatic litter box with a smart sensor which triggers the activation of the cleaning cycle.

Product Features:

• 4 times quieter operation than other brands
  • Perfect litter box solution to odor and waste control
  • Picks up only dirty litter. Doesn`t use as much litter.
  • Works with any clumping litter that you already have
  • Lowest cost to operate
  • Uses carbon zeolite filters that absorbs odors
  • Strong metal rake design. Sturdy metal gears.
  • Deflector is on a raised height so litter is in box, off the floor. More hygienic.
  • Also comes with a month`s supply of No Touch plastic bags
  • Comes with one year warranty

How it Works – This is widely known as the best automatic litter box for multiple cats. It is self-cleaning and comes with a smart sensor to activate the cleaning cycle. The scooping and motor rake runs automatically for 15 minutes after your cat leaves with a quiet and powerful motor. Click here for more details about litter box sprays.

Check Latest Price Here

Litter Maid

My Rating: 4.6

Features adjustable programming and is ideal for households with more cats. This litter box also holds 50% more litter than other brands and you can remove the rake easily with a quick push of 2 buttons. It`s also easy to clean.

• Large sized design with high walls
  • Has safety bar which stops rake in case of blockage
  • Easy to clean & set up
  • Carbon filters reduce odor
  • Great for multiple cats. Even cats above 15lbs.
  • Comes with lots of accessories: automatic removable rake, removable litter tray, battery back-up, 4 sealed waste receptacles and 4 carbon filters

Check Latest Price Here

PetSafe Simply Clean Continuous-Clean

Dimensions: 26 x 19 x 10 inches

My Rating: 4.5

This is a unique cat litter system that cleans and removes wastes automatically and continuously to a built-in waste container via a slow-moving Conveyor System.

Product Features:

• ​Works continuously and automatically
  • Reduces odor and bacterial
  • Simple to set up, use and clean
  • Uses less clumping litter
  • Quiet operation
  • No special bags needed
  • Runs on low voltage AC power adapter
  • Suits cats up to 15 lbs
  • 1 year warranty

How it Works – The waste is sifted through and is made to move up the conveyor belt and right into the waste container. Remove waste container and dump waste in the trash to clean. Click here for more details about Hypo-allergenic - grain clay.

Check Latest Price Here

LitterMaid LM580 Classic

Dimensions: 17.2 x 9.3 x 24.3 inches

My Rating: 4.4

This self-cleaning litter box takes away the need to scoop daily and keeps the home smelling fresh and looking clean. It comes with a compact designing and has a removable automatic rake which removes the waste. Read my detailed Littermaid Review here

Product Features:

• Ideal for single-cat households
  • Comes with adjustable programming
  • Odor-free
  • Reduces litter
  • Comes with detachable rake mechanism

How it Works – This is a self-cleaning litter box which automatically scoops the cat’s waste into a closed and disposable receptacle which has a carbon filter in it to absorb and remove odors. The dual-motion sensors scoop and remove waste easily. Click here for more details about replacement carbon filters and waste receptacles.

Check Latest Price Here

SmartScoop Automatic

My Rating: 4.2

Technologically advanced, this litter box scoops the litter from the box and deposits it into a bin after your cat leaves the box. The Activated Carbon Filter in the bin helps to eliminate odor. Low maintenance and easy to clean, all you have to do is remove the rake, waste bin and slide off the motor unit.

Product Features:

• Eliminates odor
  • Easy to clean and empty
  • Uses any clumping litter
  • 6-month supply of activated carbon filters
  • All parts are removable
  • Comes with one year warranty
  • Low maintenance

How it Works – The rake moves forward to scoop the clumps forward and then puts them into the waste bin. The bin comes with a no-touch waste bag so that the waste can be disposed off easily. Click here for more details about replacement filters.

Check Latest Price Here

Catit Design SmartSift Sifting Cat Pan

Dimensions: 26.6 x 19.3 x 18.5 inches

My Rating: 4.0

This is a sifting cat pan which allows you to forget all about litter maintenance. It has a pull-and-refresh system which you simply pull the lever to get rid of the waste.

Product Features:

• Automatic litter sifting can pan
  • Scoops cat litter by pulling the lever
  • No motorized pieces
  • Less expensive
  • Sealed design
  • Suitable for cats of all sizes

How it Works – You simply have to pull down the lever to activate a seamless and quiet process which efficiently and rapidly sifts and disposes off the waste for you. Click here for more details about replacement filters and liners.

PROS

• Cheaper to purchase
  • Takes away the need to scoop litter
  • Quiet and safe to use

Check Latest Price Here

• Find more top rated automatic cat litter box or a non-automatic one –See which ones are the best sellers

Whether you are choosing an automatic cat litter box or a non-automatic one, ensure that you take into account what your cat likes. Getting the best automatic cat litter box for your cat is certainly a good long term investment. They are great, budget friendly and your cats are surely going to love them. Check out our review of pet cameras so you can leave your pets at home in peace!

Reviews & Comments

Related posts