Top 5: best vegetarian dog food & best vegan dog food

Vegetarian and vegan diets go hand in hand. Typically, dogs are fed these diets because their owner is also vegetarian or vegan. This is most definitely a diet that you’ll need to speak with a pet nutritionist or your veterinarian about, as it comes with some serious risks. However, if you’re looking for the best vegetarian and best vegan dog food, we’ve found them!

Top Best Vegetarian and Best Vegan Dog FoodIn short, a vegetarian diet includes no meat, fish or poultry. Vegans take it one step further by being vegetarians and also not using any other animal byproducts in their diet, such as eggs, dairy products or honey.

As you can probably guess, feeding a naturally omnivorous animal, like a dog or cat, a no-meat diet is very controversial and may pose health risks to the pet.

If you’ve discussed switching your pet’s diet with your vet or a canine nutritionist and you agree this is the right choice, try one of the best vegan dog food options below. These are all top-quality choices that will give your pet the vegan nutrition that you’re looking for. Keep in mind, this diet is a bit more expensive than feeding traditional dry kibble diets.

TOP 5: Best Vegetarian Dog Food and Best Vegan Dog Food

1Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Formula

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodThis vegan formulation from Natural Balance is suitable for all breeds of adult dogs. It is especially beneficial for those with allergies caused by common ingredients found in food, such as meat or dairy products. Allergy aftermaths can cause stomach upsets, skin problems, and irritable bowels in most dogs. This special formula is a combination of non-meat proteins, oatmeal, potatoes, brown rice, and other natural ingredients.

Video: How To Make VEGAN Dog Food

• Read reviews of other pet owners

These components work together to provide adequate protein, as well as essential vitamins and minerals to nourish your dog. With regard to feeding amounts, they usually vary by breed, temperament, activity level, and climate. Pet owners were relieved to find a feed formulation that didn’t depend on meat for protein. Dogs allergic to meat and dairy loved this best vegan dog food. Vegan pet owners chose this diet because they wanted their dogs to live the same health choices that they’ve made.

With Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula Dry Dog Formula, weaning from regular meat-based diets was so much easier than they expected. The vegan-converted dogs have grown healthy and energetic, with enviable and allergy-free skin and shiny coats. This product has certainly changed the lives of many pets and pet owners.

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodNot every vegan pet owner who tried this best vegan dog food has been as successful in converting their mutts. This formula seemed to work fine at the start, so they were initially ecstatic. Months later, their dogs experienced issues like uncontrollable diarrhea and gas. While they wanted so much for this food to work on their pets, their vet had to recommend dry meat food back into their dogs’ diet.

PROS:
  • Suitable for all breeds of adult dogs
  • Provides adequate protein, essential vitamins and minerals
  • Most dogs enjoyed the flavor and weaning from traditional meat-based diets was easy
CONS:
  • Not every pet parent had good results – some adjusted well in the beginning but became ill after a few months on this diet

best vegan dog foodMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “Of course we were concerned when our dog told us he wanted to be Vegan. Where would he get his protein? Would he get enough calcium? Would other dogs think he was strange if he was not eating body parts of other animals? Well, we were so pleased to see that he is thriving on this diet…”

2V-Dog Vegan Kibble Dry Dog Food

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodV-Dog offers this 100% plant-based formula with human-grade quality ingredients that promote healthier, greener, and gentler kibble. This vegan recipe provides 24% non-meat protein with essential amino acids. It is made from alfalfa, brown rice, dried peas, flaxseeds, lentils, peanuts, quinoa, sorghum, and many other top-quality ingredients. This best vegan dog food is fortified with vitamins and minerals that dogs require for healthier growth.

This dog food is guaranteed free from any animal products, fillers, corn, wheat, soy, gluten, and other artificial ingredients that are likely to cause allergies. This can be served dry or wet, depending on the dog’s preference. One morning and one evening serving is recommended.

Health-conscious pet owners had to spend time preparing vegan-based dog food. They were only too happy to find this product. It certainly made it easy for them to manage their dogs’ health without compromising quality. Customers say that their pets have become healthier and more active. They believe that V-Dog Vegan Kibble Dry Dog Food is worth every penny they paid for it. Animal advocates who own dogs find this an awesome product. They say that it’s a great way to make their dog healthy without sacrificing other animals.

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodDogs generally found the V-Dog kibble very tasty, and obviously looked forward to their next meal. Very few reacted with upset stomach. A customer stopped using the product for a while then tried it again after the initial reactions have subsided. They were happy to find this out and continued the feed. Some use this in combination with meat-based food, especially those who find it cruel to force dogs into a vegan lifestyle.

PROS:
  • 100% plant-based formula
  • Made with human-grade ingredients
  • Provides 24% non-meat protein
  • Guaranteed free from any animal products, fillers, corn, wheat, soy, or gluten
CONS:
  • A few dogs suffered with upset stomachs after eating this food

Video: Vegan Dog Food: V-Dog vs Natural Balance

best vegan dog foodMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “My Dog had chronic ear infections, skin irritations, and was always itchy, and could not digest anything. This is our 10th food try. The vet tried to tell me to buy this and use this medication. I became fed up and I don’t believe in over medicating people or dogs. I did my research and well….10th times charm…”

3Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Adult Dog Food

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodThis best vegan dog food is formulated to provide adult dogs the nourishment they need while promoting healthy skin and coat. It is a 100%-natural, healthy, and well-balanced diet. This dog food contains beta carotene, vitamins and minerals carefully formulated for adult dogs. Absolutely no meats, dairy products, animal proteins, soy, added sugar, salt, lactose, fillers, color additives, and artificial preservatives were used in producing this pet food.

Customers found this to be the solution to several ailments and issues with their pets. These ailments included arthritis, fleas, loss of vitality due to old age, and degenerative myelopathy. A few months after switching to this formula, dogs have shown amazing improvement. Muscles have become more toned, and their coats show their healthy condition.

For most of these dogs this was the sole food incorporated in their diet, while others supplement this with yogurt and other dairy products. Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Adult Dog Food is also formulated with oatmeal to help support gastrointestinal tract health. Pet owners who had to use other products, due to unavailability of this product in their area, soon observed their dogs’ previous condition coming back.

Dog owners believe that this is proof of the product’s effectiveness. Some customers, however, think that this is not a very palatable feed for dogs, because their dogs don’t like its taste. They say that they had to add broth or meat to make their picky dogs eat this best vegan dog food.

PROS:
  • Formulated to promote healthy skin and coat
  • made with oatmeal to support gastrointestinal tract health
  • 100% natural
  • No meats, dairy products, animal proteins, soy, added sugar, salt, lactose, fillers, color additives, and artificial preservatives
CONS:
  • Some owners found that this best vegan dog food is not pallitable to their pets

best vegan dog foodMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “My dog has horrible skin allergies that cause wounds and the vet recommended this food to see if it would help him. I was skeptic because of how serious his problem had been for a couple of years. I was also skeptic that a dog could be vegetarian, but the vet assured me that they create all of the amino acids that are required for dogs…”

4Purina HA Hypoallergenic Vegetarian Dog Food

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodThis hypoallergenic dog food formulation contains a single source for hydrolyzed-protein and a single source for carbohydrate. This makes it possible to provide dogs the complete and balanced nourishment they need while keeping allergens and digestion problems away. Dogs that are on strict diets will highly benefit from this modified food source from Purina.

Video: How to Make Vegan Dog Food

When dogs are being evaluated for possible triggers to their health conditions, their diets are regulated to isolate the cause of the problems. These conditions may include allergic dermatitis, gastroenteritis, bowel diseases and pancreatitis. This hypoallergenic food comes highly recommended by vets, especially for these cases. The low hydrolyzed-protein and low-carb source found in this best vegan dog food made it easier for pets to digest and resulted in fewer instances of digestion problems.

For many, this was the only food their pets could eat without developing skin rashes, flaking, and itching. Other customers thought Purina HA Hypoallergenic Vegetarian Dog Food too pricey, although admitted that it was effective for their dogs.

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodTo get around the issue on cost, they used the product only during the period when their dog was under treatment. Upon full recovery, they reverted to their dog’s cheaper previous diet.While it was considered a miracle dog food by satisfied customers, there were those whose dogs won’t eat the food. Some pet owners observed that the soy content is high. However, they decided that they will continue to use the feed as long as there are no adverse reactions from their dog.

PROS:
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Contains a single source for hydrolyzed-protein and a single source for carbohydrate
  • Easy for dogs to digest
CONS:
  • More expensive than other best vegan dog food brands
  • Some pets were not enticed to eat this food
  • High soy content

best vegan dog foodMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “My dog has horrible skin allergies that cause wounds and the vet recommended this food to see if it would help him. I was skeptic because of how serious his problem had been for a couple of years. I was also skeptic that a dog could be vegetarian, but the vet assured me that they create all of the amino acids that are required for dogs…”

5Halo Vegan Garden Medley Stew for Dogs

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodThis best vegan dog food is purely made from a delicious blend of vegetables to provide all the nutrients required by pets. Digestible protein in this dog food from HALO is sourced from peas and chick peas. Carbohydrates and fiber come from barley, oats and potatoes. Vitamins, minerals and antioxidants come from blueberries, carrots, cranberries and sweet potatoes. Canola, flaxseed and sunflower oils provide the essential fatty acids.

This dog food has been fortified with other vitamins and minerals, as well. It is formulated to provide complete and balanced nutrition. Customers found this to be an excellent food for their dogs. It is easily digested and caused no gas, bloated-stomach, or vomiting problems. These conditions are are often the case with sensitive dogs. This was very important for owners of aged and delicate dogs.

Dogs took to the taste of Halo Vegan Garden Medley Stew for Dogs quite naturally. There was no need to force them to eat it. Consumers say this best vegan dog food smelled like homemade stew, which made it more appetizing to their dogs. With the vegetable formulation, it also became easy to control the pets’ weight without compromising his activity level.

Best Vegetarian Dog Food & Best Vegan Dog FoodIt was not always the case with all customers, though. There were a few who were unhappy about the purchase they made. Their dogs didn’t like the food as much as they liked other vegetable feeds. Others, though, just needed a little getting used to. They would soon come running at the smell of this Halo product. Customers wished the feed had higher than the 20%-protein it contains. They also hope for a “subscribe and save” option in the future.

PROS:
  • Made purely from vegetables
  • Easily digestable
  • Enticing smell made it easy for pet owners to get their dog to eat this food
  • Vegetable formula made it easy to control dog’s weight
CONS:
  • Only 20% protein content
  • No “subscribe and save” option
  • Some dogs didn’t care for the taste of this food

best vegan dog foodMost helpful dog owner’s review (read the full review): “…Out of sheer desperation and desire for her comfort and our peace, I decided to try putting her on a vegetarian diet. I did all my customary extensive research and am extremely happy with the choice that I made! Her improvement was immediate and has lasted for the entire two months that we’ve had her on the food so far…”

Reviews & Comments

Related posts