When his human feels sad, this service dog brings her the strangest thing to cheer her up

Whenever we feel sad, we can always count on our dogs to cheer us up. They make us smile the moment they wake us up, until we go to bed when the day is done. They make us smile even if they don’t do anything at all.

But this service dog has a strange way of cheering up his human. Zeus the mini Poodle is a retired service dog. His mom, Jessica Douglas, has PTSD. According to the post by BarkPost, she frequently experiences hallucinations, making it hard for her to know what’s real and what’s not. And having Zeus by her side helps her a lot.

Source: Jessica Douglas - Tumblr
Source: Jessica Douglas – Tumblr

Jessica shared her story on Tumbler. And this is what she said about Zeus:

He (Zeus) is trained to bring my pills in the case of a panic attack, to get help in the case of a psychotic episode. He is trained to lay against my chest and lick my nose slowly when I am panicking, to help slow my breathing (if you’ve met him you’ll notice he licks everyone he likes frantically, EXCEPT for me. There’s a reason for this). If I lose conciousness, he is trained to get help. He is trained to alert me if I am reacting to things that are not there, and to react to people who ARE there and real so that I can respond normally as though I didn’t doubt they were real. He is also trained to stop when I wander away from family/friends in public places, and wait to make sure I give the okay that we’re good to leave safe company.

But the strange thing about Zeus that has made him quite famous is the way he cheered up his human when he saw her crying. Jessica had a hard time during therapy, she felt miserable and was crying. Then she felt a nudge on her knee, and when she looked down, Zeus was there as always, but this time, he brought her gift–A POTATO.

Jessica couldn’t help but smile when she saw the gift that Zeus brought her. It was odd and it was funny. She wrote on Tumblr, “…it is very hard to cry with a gift of potato.

So how did Zeus get his paws on a potato? Jessica wrote that her children were doing a science project that involved potatoes and so they had a rare case of potatoes in the house.

Zeus bringing a potato to Jessica didn’t happen just once. It happened again months after the first incident. But on the second time, he brought two potatoes together with two pill bottles and a container of embossing powder.

Jessica also pointed out that she’s not worried about Zeus getting poisoned. She knows that the poisonous potatoes are the unripe green ones and the sprouts- but what they have in the house are ripe ones.

Zeus is such a great emotional support dog, and we totally love the funny way he brings his human a potato.

For more details about Zeus, visit Jessica’s FAQ section on Tumblr.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts