Bark n rest: showing love to forgotten dogs

Video: THE BARK'S ROOF - DOGCRAFT (EP.154)

A puppy named “Chance” is stealing the hearts of thousands. Have you heard of him yet? A shepherd mix that was pulled from the shelter in Ft. Worth, Texas, just hours before he was scheduled for euthanasia, Chance suffers from severe neurological issues. He has no coordination, can’t walk, can’t even stand, and bobbles his head like a newborn baby. He gets around by crawling and rolling and requires 24-hour supervision, feeding and watering every few hours. Despite his struggles, Chance is a very happy, destructive little pup!

Chance is learning to walk with the help of this specially made wheelchair.

And, with the care he’s receiving by the selfless caregivers at Bark-N-Rest Retirement Center, Chance is improving!

Bark N Rest rescues the forgotten dogs. The unadoptable, the elderly, the ones most often euthanized due to age or some special needs. They do not believe age & special needs is a death sentence. They save dogs with conditions such as sight loss, hearing loss, skin conditions and arthritis. Their hospice residents with terminal conditions are kept comfortable and happy. Knowing they are loved to the end.

Bark N Rest began in 2009, all because of a little Mini Schnauzer named Gidget. Founder, Dawn Enriquez decided to adopt another dog as a playmate for her family’s dog, Daisy.

Gidget was the Mini Schauzer that inspired Bark-N-Rest Retirement Center

Dawn told us about her experience with Gidget. “Other than a possible flea issue, which caused some hair loss, not a big deal. Fleas are easy to get rid of and hair grows back. Well, after getting her home, giving her a bath and getting her settled. I noticed something was just not right about her. My daughter begin to play with her, as Gidget was a little spry. But the sock kept falling out of her mouth.” Dawn further explains, “She was toothless. I then picked her up and really began looking her over. This was not a normal, happy healthy dog. She also had hard little lumps on her under belly.”

“Why was she discarded and without medical care for her? This bothered me and tugged at me. I took her to the vet and she had a host of problems. All kinds of allergies that caused skin issues, no teeth, with badly infected gums and mammary cancer.”

It was then that Dawn realized, if Gidget was discarded like that, there must be more out there in need.

Video: Numb (Official Video) - Linkin Park

Gidget, sadly, was lost to cancer, but Bark N Rest Retirement Center was born.

“Everyone adopts and ‘oohs and ahhs’ over the young and the healthy, But what about the forgotten ones? The ones discarded due to age, illness, blindness, hearing loss, cancer, neurological issues, handicapped or any other ailment,” Dawn explained. “From that day on, it has been my mission to provide happiness, love and care to the forgotten ones. For whatever time they have, days, weeks, months or years. It does not matter as long as they do not die in a shelter, forgotten and unloved.”

Bark N Rest is a small non-profit rescue – one of the very few that takes in senior and special needs dogs. Dogs like the puppy, Chance, who would never have had the chance to lead a happy life if not for Dawn and Bark N Rest. Follow Chance’s progress on his very own Facebook page.

China and Chance have become inseparable friends under the care of Bark-N-Rest.

Chance’s best buddy, China, is a Catahoula who is deaf and suffers from slight neurological problems. In the time she’s been with Bark N Rest, China has learned hand signals and is completely house-trained.

Sugar Bear is a 15 year old who was dumped by her long-time owners in 2011, and then overlooked by adopters because of her age and depression. Under the care of Bark N Rest, Sugar is coming out of her depression and doing great!

Spanky

Spanky came into Bark-N-Rest with aggression and fear. Now he craves attention!

Spanky is a 10 year old little guy who was surrendered by his owner in Arlington, Texas, where he ended up on death row. He came to Bark-N-Rest with aggression and fear issues and could not be touched. Under their care, Spanky has a much improved quality of life. He will greet guests now and craves attention!

Bark N Rest has been rescuing senior and special needs dogs since 2009 with little to no funds. These dogs require extra medical care and, often, constant supervision.

Follow the progress and heartfelt stories of their residents by visiting their website at barknrestretirementcenter.com or following them on Facebook. It is amazing to see the transformation from a sad, sick and depressed dog to a happy, healthy thriving dog that regained days, months or even years to their life. All due to Dawn and her foster families showing them love and happiness!

Donations can be made for the ongoing care of Chance, China, Sugar Bear, Spanky, and the several other sweet dogs Bark N Rest has devoted their time to by visiting barknrestretirementcenter.com. Won’t you open your heart and donate for the care of these special pups?

Reviews & Comments

Related posts