6 Best dog harnesses for dogs that pull

Looking for the best dog harnesses for dogs that pull, and that’s comfortable for your dog? Below, we’ve picked six different types of harnesses for dogs: a mix between very affordable and cheap dog harnesses, as well as premium dog harnesses in a higher price range. These have been shown to be some of the most comfortable no-pull dog harnesses based on our tests and reviews.

A puppy with a dog harness onThere are tons of reasons a dog might need a dog harness for dogs that pull. Usually, most dog owners will choose to use a no pull dog harness to replace a dog leash, since it’s less harmful and more comfortable for dogs, especially for those dogs that pull a lot. A good quality dog harness is the best safety equipment for your pet to protect both yourself (if your pooch jerks a lot) and your pet.

Harnesses for dogs are perfect not only for regular walks outside, but for almost any outdoor activities. When taking your dog hiking or hunting with you, you’ll need to keep him restrained, prevent pulling and have something reflective on your dog. One of these best dog harnesses listed below will have reflective colors – perfect for gun dogs. The importance of brightly colored materials while out hunting or hiking with dogs cannot be understated.

What are the features of best dog harnesses?

As mentioned above, the main thing of using a dog harness is to keep your dog restrained, have something reflective on his harness, and prevent choking. Good quality no pull dog harnesses work well for this.

Here you can compare all six best dog harnesses we’ve reviewed below.

Dog Harness BrandPriceQualityRating
Ruffwear Front Range Harness$$$A+4.5/5
Chai’s Choice Front Range No-Pull Harness$$A-4.3/5
EzyDog Chest Plate Custom Fit Harness$$B+4.4/5
Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness$$B4.3/5
No-Pull Dog Leash Harness$C4.2/5
Authentic Puppia Soft Harness$C4.1/5

* Click on the dog harness brand for more information and prices. Alternatively, scroll below for more details and overview.

How to put on a dog harness

How to size the best dog harness for petsDo you need help with putting a harness on your canine? Even when you get one of the best dog harness, they may be a little complicated to put on the first few times, especially if you’re pooch isn’t used to wearing a dog harness.

Please see the video below for some quick, actionable and easy to understand advice on how to put on a dog harness and let us know if you have any questions in the comments section.

FULL STEP BY STEP: How To Put On A Dog Harness 101 – Step-By-Step Process

1Ruffwear Front Range Harness

FULL REVIEW: What is the Best Harness for Dogs?

Ruffwear Front Range HarnessThis dog harness comes in a variety of sizes and colors. Ruffwear Front Range Harness comes in sizes XXS through XL. It is available in “Alpenglow Pink,” “Campfire Orange,” “Pacific Blue,” and “Twilight Gray.” (Fun fact: alpenglow is where a glowing reddish pink band appears in the sky on the horizon opposite the sun). These pretty colors, especially the orange and pink, are great for visibility if you’re taking your dog out hunting or out into nature.

This dog harness can be used daily and has four buckles that are adjustable for easy fitting. The harness is made of sturdy polyester and the V-ring for attaching the leash is made of aluminum. It attaches around your pet’s torso and midsection, with a padded chest and stomach for extra comfort and security. The padded parts balance your pet’s weight evenly and make this suitable for long term wear. There is webbing on the dog’s chest that is reinforced for durability. It’s a great vest for action-packed outdoor activities like hiking and camping with your dog.

WHY IS IT AT #1? Ruffwear has always been great at these types of dog products. Customers were very pleased with the high quality of Ruffwear Front Range Harness, especially those who did outdoor activities with their dogs and those with dogs that had a bad habit of yanking on the leash.

Best Dog Harnesses for Dogs that PullDogs that were unruly or previously made it impossible to walk with them were kept at bay with this harness for dogs which, though very comfortable, prevented any misbehaving. It also is a safe piece of equipment- the padding is resistant to any outdoor roughhousing and you don’t have to worry about your dog ripping this up. Even if your dog is a chewer, he or she won’t be able to damage this dog vest.

The aluminum V-ring that held the leash also kept intact. Another excellent aspect of this doggy vest was the size variation. Even the heaviest dogs will be able to fit in this vest. It is adjustable for even mammoth-sized animals and the padding is consistent through the sizing chart—no skimping on larger products. Be aware that this product is, as one customer said, “bulky.” If you’re looking for a thin dog harness that is made of a slim material, you’re not going to want this as it’s for more heavy duty work.

Most Helpful review (read the full review):“I am a professional dog trainer who specializes in positive dog training, canine fitness, and trick work. I have used all of the front attaching and dual attachment point harnesses currently on the market on a variety of dogs. This one is a dream. It fits comfortably and easily. I bought one for my newly adopted…”

2Chai’s Choice Dog Harness

Chai’s Choice Dog HarnessThis vest for dogs comes in several colors and sizes. Chai’s Choice Dog Harness ranges in size from XS to XL and comes in the colors of orange, black, and green. The seller’s price is $79.99 on average. The outer layer is oxford and the material is scratch-resistant and pull-resistant.

The buckle is Duraflex and has a large loading capacity. This dog vest’s buckles have a lot of tensile strength and can hold even large, heavily-muscled dogs. The handles are ergonomic and the harness is easy to put on. The lining of the dog harness is made of flexible mesh and there is padding in the chest and stomach of the doggy vest.

Additionally, it loops around your pet’s torso for a secure fit. The material is reflective (if you get the orange) and there are two handle rings: an O-shaped ring and a D-shaped ring. The D-ring is located on the back of the harness and is made of a zinc alloy metal. The O-ring is also made of zinc alloy, but it is located on the chest instead. There is also a seat-belt attachment so you can strap your dog in when the two of you are riding in the car together.

WHY IS IT AT #2? Chai’s Choice Dog Harness is second one of the best dog harnesses because a few customers found that the vest required a lot of adjusting, as the sizing was not true to scale. Once all the buckles were adjusted and it was good to go, people were really pleased with the product. The mesh was soft and didn’t bother their dogs’ skin.

Best Dog Harnesses for Dogs that PullEven dogs that were major leash pullers and always running around were kept in check. A few customers with skittish dogs were pleased at how non-intimidating this dog harness was. Their dogs hopped right in and didn’t have any issue. Often, dogs feel secure when they’re wearing a harness or vest for dogs (hence why Thundershirt has been so successful), and it appears that this dog vest has the same effect on dogs as other calming materials.

If your dog is deep-chested, you might have the most trouble adjusting the dog harness, so be aware that the adjustment period may take some time for you and your dog. You might find yourself adjusting the straps frequently, which some purchasers found to be a bother. The seatbelt attachment is another positive aspect of this harness because car safety is so important for dogs and having a seatbelt-compatible harness is an excellent safety improvement.

Most Helpful review (read the full review):“This harness is amazing! I have tried a bunch of different harnesses over the last 5 years with 2 different dogs, and this harness is my favorite. With my current dog Xylia (45lb plott hound/lab mix), most other harnesses were ineffective. She is all muscle and highly energetic. She hated a gentle leader on her face, and the way she thrashed I was afraid she’d hurt her neck…”

3EzyDog Chest Plate Harness

FULL VIDEO REVIEW: EzyDog Chest Plate Dog Harness Review

EzyDog Chest Plate HarnessThis third one of the best dog harnesses has an ergonomically designed EVA foam chest plate, which is unusual for most no pull dog harnesses. It also features two adjustment points that allow your pooch to get a snug fit and be far more comfortable, especially if he’s pulling a lot. As I mentioned in my original EzyDog Harness Review (link above), it has a steel O-ring so it can be used as traditional dog walking harnesses.

In my video review I’m also demonstrating how easy it is to attach EzyDog Chest Plate Dog Harness to your vehicle’s seat belt, in case you’re using it for that purpose as a safety car feature for pets. There is a separate seat belt restraint clip on this harness and it attaches in seconds – you slide the seat belt through this attachment to secure Best Dog Harnesses for Dogs that Pullyour dog in the car.

Another great advantage is that the EzyDog harness for dogs is made with high visibility reflective stitching (what we’ve talked about above, and discuss more below). This is a good feature to look for, as it greatly increases you and your pet’s visibility, especially when you’re outdoors in dim light. It’s particularly important if you usually walk your dog in the evening or early in the morning using any dog harness.

Most helpful dog owner’s review (read the full Amazon review): “EzyDog Chest Plate Harness, Size Large in Black, for a 68 pound male German Shepherd. I had read the comments of another reviewer saying her dog can now be controlled since using this harness. I wholeheartedly agree! My 68 pound German Shepherd would exhaust me during our walks…”

4Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Harness

Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Dog HarnessThis pet harness for dogs comes in sizes XS to XL and is a walking harness. On the chest is a D-shaped ring that resists pulling by stubborn dogs. The large size of Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Dog Harness fits dogs that weigh between fifteen and eighty pounds and have a neck between eighteen and thirty inches and a chest between 24 and 34 inches. This third best dog harness fits a wide range of differently sized dogs. The buckles are plastic and are “quick release,” so if you find yourself in a situation where you need to get the dog harness off your pet quickly, these buckles will make sure you can do that.

The dog harness is compatible with a car seatbelt and can also be used to restrain your dog in the car to prevent them from distracting you while you’re driving (dogs are good at distractions). The material of the dog harness itself, in fact, is actually made of seatbelt webbing and a composite of other similar fabrics. The pet harness slips over your dog’s head and locks around their torso. There are five adjustment points for your dog to make sure that you are able to obtain the perfect fit for him or her.

WHY IS IT AT #3? Kurgo Tru-Fit Smart Dog Harness is third one of the best dog harnesses because the buckles are not made of as sturdy a material as the others on the previously listed dog vest. Several customers complained that the buckles, made of plastic, got stuck and weren’t as heavy-duty as they would have liked.

Also, there is less padding and this harness in general is just thinner and made of less materials than the others listed. It is not for heavy-duty or intense activity- it’s a doggy harness for average walking and riding in the car.

Best Dog Harnesses for Dogs that PullThis third best dog harness received positive reviews for its adjustability and adaptability. The front sits high on your dog’s chest and is great for car rides, something that many customers were enthusiastic about. Many customers advised that you size up when purchasing this dog harness, as it’s easier to tighten it than to return it and ask for a bigger size.

This pet harness is also well-received among dogs that generally have a problem wearing any type of fabric on them. It’s not made with a lot of materials in mind, so if your dog generally objects to harnesses or leashes, this is a good product for him or her to use because it won’t feel constraining or restraining.

Most Helpful review (read the full review): “I have a 190 lb English mastiff, with HUGE barrel chest. I have not found a seatbelt to fit him until now. With all the straps extended as far as they will go, it just fits around him. I bought this just to see if it would fit and was very surprised when it did. The information part of the page doesnt give measurements, just weight ranges for harness sizes so I will list them below for all that are interested. It comes from…”

5ARIKON Dog Leash Pet Harness

ARIKON Dog Leash Pet HarnessA dog harness from Arikon comes with a dog leash. ARIKON Dog Leash Pet Harness is sized for dogs small to medium. The smallest size is for dogs less than ten pounds, the medium for dogs 10-30 pounds, and the large for dogs that weigh over thirty pounds. The leash length is 46 inches. The harness is a simple two straps that cross across your dog’s chest and behind his or her forelegs. It’s more simply designed than the first two best dog harnesses I showed you. The material is made of denim and is durable and resistant to a lot of wear. The canine harness is adjustable by plastic rings.

The buckles are metal and the leash itself attaches to a metal ring at the back of the dog. The leash is extra, double-stitched so that owners don’t have to worry about wear and tear. The dog harness leash is also removable by clasp and is easy to slip on and off. The harness has an extra loop of fabric at the top that also holds the leash in place. The combination of leash and harness is around $19 on average, and comes together, not separate. The denim material is washable for easy-cleaning.

WHY IS IT AT #4? This is fourth of the best dog harnesses because the denim is less flexible than the other leashes we showed you. Also, ARIKON Dog Leash Pet Harness gets dirtier quicker because it is made of material that is less dirt-resistant than polyester or more resilient fabrics. The plastic rings are also more breakable, though the metal ring that this attaches to is very sturdy and easy to detach the leash from.

Best Dog Harnesses for Dogs that PullThis dog harness is for activities that aren’t super-intense or that don’t require a lot of outdoor wear and tear. The fabric is resilient—denim is pretty strong—but it isn’t the Superman of fabrics (or the Wonder Woman). But for just casually taking your dog out for a stroll, this is a great piece of equipment.

It provides frontal control as well, but if you have a dog that runs around and gets crazy during your walks, this might not be able to hold him or her as well because it is neither padded, nor does it have thick straps. For owners of older dogs or non-wild dogs, this leash is perfect and is easy to store and transport. You could even pair this leash with one of the foam padded ones, so that you have one leash for heavy outdoors time and one for casual strolls.

Most Helpful review (read the full review): “What a beautiful leash and harness set! Blue denim on one side and red nylon on the other, it truly is stunning. It’s very easy to put on, but I will be honest and say I put it on incorrectly at first but that was my fault haha. The reason this happened is because every other harness I have tried has been a bit difficult to to put on and so I just automatically put this one on the same way! But this one is actually very easy to place on your…”

6Puppia Soft Harness

Puppia Soft Dog HarnessThis doggy harness is the number one best-seller in Amazon’s Best Dog Harnesses category. It’s very popular because of its convenience and the comfortable quality of the material, as well as the lower price. Puppia Soft Dog Harness comes in many different colors, including bright, reflective ones. It ranges in size from XS to XXL and it has an adjustable chest belt. The buckles are quick-release. The neck is padded and the harness is machine washable, though hand-washing and air-drying are the recommended way to clean it so as to preserve the structure of the vest. For size reference, the medium first dogs with a 15-20 inch chest and a 13 inch neck.

The dog harness is made out of 100% polyester and is very soft and comfortable for your dog to put on. The buckles are plastic and the pet harness itself goes around the chest and torso of your dog, not the neck, so it’s safe for dogs that pull. This harness is often bought in conjunction with the Authentic Puppia Two-Tone Leash, which attaches to the metal ring at the front of the chest harness. Overall, this Puppia harness is for casual use and is durable for average activity level.

WHY IS IT AT #5? This is fifth of the best dog harnesses because although it is soft and comfortable, Puppia Soft Dog Harness is not made for the wear and tear that the other top-listed dog harnesses are. It also isn’t as good at securing your dog in the car. This pet harness is more for casual usage, not for anything hardcore or intense.

Best Dog Harnesses for Dogs that PullThis product runs small as well, and a flaw a few customers noted was that the neck size was too small to put their pet’s heads through- choose a size up when you purchase it. The head opening is not adjustable, and that was a big detriment to those owners with small-bodied and large-headed dogs.

However, once you get the right size and scale past that design limitation, this dog harness worked well and was easy to use. It is also very simple to put on. There’s not a lot of adjustment or fiddling, and many pet owners who had tried other, more complicate canine harnesses were happy with how simple this one was to use and maneuver. If you’re going to be using this for anything more durable than walking, you might want to consider purchasing one of the aforementioned padded dog vests to go with it.

Most Helpful review (read the full review): “This is a very well made, comfortable harness. Both my small dogs wear this Puppia model (in different sizes) and they have worked out very well, even as car safety harnesses. However: BEWARE OF THE SIZE CHARTS — what the chart calls “neck size” is the actual size of the opening. This is the same opening through which the head must pass. Basically…”

Best Dog Harnesse

More reasons to switch from a dog leash to a harness

Working with dogs is popular today, and leashes don’t cut it for most of us. Whether you’re a hunter, an avid hiker or camper, you must be sure that your dog is restrained and visible at all times. Those two are one of the most important features to have in a good no-pull dog harness. We’ve seen many reports of dogs dying or getting in trouble and injuring themselves because they break off the leash, or run off from not being restrained at all.

Truly best dog harnesses, if brightly colored, can serve as both a reflective piece of clothing and as a way to keep your dog securely on a leash. No pull harnesses for dogs go the extra step because they not only attach to a leash, but they also strap around more than just your dog’s neck—they usually go around their torso for extra security.

Another reason to use harnesses for dogs is that they may help some dogs with canine arthritis, osteoporosis, or another disorder that causes them pain. A dog harness will strap them into the proper leash and the back of the harness provides an easy-to-grip handle for you to grab and lift him or her wherever you need them to go.

Using a dog harness provides a more structured way for you to lift your dogs up that will hurt neither you nor your dog. Osteoporosis and other types of pain illnesses can lead to your dog having a very uncomfortable experience when being lifted and set down. In order to improve upon that, you may need to purchase a harness.

My personal experience with a dog harness

You alsoWhat are the best no pull dog harnesses could need a dog harness if you have a dog that needs more guidance when walking or exercising. My dog, Walter, an Australian Shephard, is a complete distraction to others when it’s time for a walk. He runs everywhere and wants to investigate everything that is not on the sidewalk or the trail we’re following. Other dogs, trees, lumps of gravel- Walter has to see it all.

A simple leash and collar never quite worked for us, as Walter would just pull against that and nearly choke himself to death in his desperation to say hello to another dog. Finally, out of fear that he would self-asphyxiate and annoyance at how difficult he was making everything, we purchased one of these best dog harnesses for pulling.

Once we switched from a dog leash to dog harness, it allowed Walter’s walkers (we sometimes hire dog walkers) to have much better control over him and he was much easier to manage. So in my opinion, for your pet’s safety, a harness for dogs is often the best choice. Puppies, the wildest creatures on the planet, often can make use of a puppy harness as well for that same reason.

In the list of best dog harnesses above, we’ve compiled a selection of the top six best rated no-pull harnesses for dogs according to other dog owners and product’s customer reviews out there. I’ve researched these best dog harnesses carefully and selected the most fitting ones based on pet owners’ reviews and different product features that made them optimal. Samantha has also tried and tested some of these, and you can see her full review in the provided links.

Need help with learning how to prevent your dog from pulling? Read the below guide or watch the video.

FULL GUIDE: How To Stop A Dog From Pulling 101 – A Step-By-Step Guide

How to choose best dog harnesses for your Fido

You can select the best dog harness by knowing what you need it for and the measurements of your dog. For example, if you need a dog harness because your dog is elderly and has osteoporosis, you’ll want one of these best dog harnesses that is able to secure your dog’s midsection without putting too much strain onto his or her bones and muscles.

How to pick the best dog harnesses for dogs that pullYou’ll also want a harness that you can easily lift without problem. The handle should be ergonomic- or at least, designed in a way that won’t hurt your hand, and it should be sturdy. No one wants the handle breaking off and then dropping your poor elderly dog. Know what the handle material is made of to make sure it holds up.

Speaking of material, pick one of these best dog harnesses that is constructed of durable nylon, polyester, or another fabric that is tough and will withstand strain. But the fabric should be easy to clean. As dog owners know, our dogs get into everything, so a pet harness is bound to get a little dirty at some points. By purchasing a harness for dogs made from washable material, we’ll make things way easier on ourselves.

Choose a harness that is adjustable. Our dogs all are different sizes and even the most accurate of sizing charts has room for error. If you get one of the best dog harnesses that you can adjust, you will be able to fit your dog accurately and you won’t have to go through the returning process.

Also, an adjustable no pull dog harness means that you’ll be able to make sure your pet is comfortable and that the creases aren’t giving him or her a rash. If you’re taking them outdoors, a harness that chafes is going to be really uncomfortable and icky for him or her. The adjustability factor will go a long way in preserving your pet’s comfort.

Make sure the harness you choose is suited for outdoor wear, if that is what you are choosing for your pet. If you’re out hiking or going into the wilderness, there will be a lot of wear and tear, as is to be expected of outdoor adventures. You should choose a harness that can get muddy, wet, and all-else without breaking down or rubbing your pet the wrong way.

Choose a dog harness that can attach to a leash in a way that won’t break free. The ring should be made of stainless steel, or at least some extra-strong polymer or plastic. If your dog is a puller (if they’re always straining to get off the leash), you’ll need to get a material that resists their attempts to run off- otherwise, you’re risking a runaway dog and that is fun for no one.

The list above contains the best of the best dog harnesses, all distilled into sections for you to observe and decide on. Make sure to do your own research as well before making any buying decisions. Let us know what you pick and if it worked! Happy trails!

We want to make sure that our readers are aware that we are NOT sponsored by any of the manufacturers and dog companies mentioned in this article. Please note that we do our best to provide accurate information, but we highly encourage dog owners to always double-check other sources for additional tips on best dog harnesses so that you can make a more accurate decision of what’s best for you, and your canine.

The above overview of best harness for dogs should give pet owners a good idea of best rated dog supplies, but please also make sure that you read the more about top dog harness reviews from multiple customers before you purchase any dog products. Sometimes, those reviews from pet parents can provide more information than any dog supplies website ever could. Finally, I hope this list was helpful, and if you tried any of these dog products, please let us know of your experience in the comments below.

READ NEXT: Dog Harness Guide – Making Sure Your Dog Is Comfortable

Reviews & Comments

Related posts