Amitriptyline for dogs

Amitriptyline header

Click Here to improve your pets behavior and anxiety with Amitriptyline!

Sometimes our pets can be a little more than we bargained for. From going to the bathroom in inappropriate places, constant chewing or even separation anxiety, all are problems we are just not prepared for in the least.

Video: Amitriptyline- Drs. Foster and Smith Pet Prescription Medications

In most cases, these issues resolve themselves with time. However, with some more extreme cases, your dog will need a little more than time to help them adjust. If you’re still having these kinds of troubles you can talk to your vet about different options.

The vet may suggest Amitriptyline if your pet seems to be having behavioral or anxiety issues that are not improving with proper attention.

What is Amitriptyline and what is it for?

amitriptyline1Amitriptyline is a prescription antidepressant that is generally given to dogs (and cats) to help improve the chances of positive changes in behavior and anxiety disorders.

You should also not stop this medication abruptly as it can have harmful side effects. The best way is to slowly take your dog off the medication with smaller and smaller doses each time.

How Can I get My Dog to Take a Pill?

amitriptyline2One of the most difficult part about having to medicate a pet can be simply to get them to eat the medication in the first place. Many dogs are picky and will not happily swallow down a pill if you were to just give it to them.

There are a few different ways you can go about this. I personally find that the easiest thing to do is hide the pill in a rolled up piece of lunch meat or American cheese. My dogs were always happy to take that special human food treat when it was offered.

They only found the pill a couple times out of all the times I’ve done this. Each time a second slice of cheese was all it took. On the other hand, there are also treats designed just for this purpose.

It’s called a Pill Pocket and it’s a treat that is made with the intention of hiding medication. This disguises the pill as a tasty dog treat and most of the time dogs don’t question it. (Of course, there’s always that one who’s hard to fool!)

Should You Ask Your Vet About Amitriptyline?

In situations with behavior issues it is often best to try behavior modifying techniques on their own before adding medication into the mix. While most dogs do just fine on the medication others may become ill or their moods may
worsen.

If after a period of time your dog is not responding to behavioral training alone then you may want to consider talking to your vet about Amitriptyline. You will still need to be consistent about working with your pet, though the medication should help improvement significantly.

However, all medications come with a risk of dependency – which is why this medication should never be abruptly stopped – this is another reason you should attempt to go without prescription medications if at all possible.

Video: Multicenter, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Amitriptyline in Children...

Are There Any Side Effects?

amitriptyline3Though extremely rare, there are potential side effects when giving your dog Amitriptyline. This is true with all medications, there is always a small chance of adverse effects. Most of the time, symptoms are mild and go away within the first few days of being on the medication.

The most common side effects recorded include: excessive sleeping, loss of appetite, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth, abnormal heart rhythms and more. If symptoms persist more than 24-48 hours you should contact your vet.

There is also a small chance of an allergic reaction to this medication. An allergic reaction could be hives, swelling of the face or tongue or labored breathing. If your dog is having an allergic reaction discontinue use of this medication and get to a vet immediately!

Video: Wiz Khalifa - Black And Yellow [G-Mix] ft. Snoop Dogg, Juicy J & T-Pain

Common FAQs about Amitriptyline

Is it FDA approved?

No, Amitriptyline is not FDA approved for use in dogs and cats. However it is common veterinarian practice to prescribe this medication in situations that call for it.

Can my Pet Overdose?

Yes, Amitriptyline is a very dangerous medication when given too much. If you suspect an overdose you should contact your vet or an emergency vet right away.

Click Here to get your pet started on Amitriptyline today!

Back to Medications

Reviews & Comments

Related posts