Best flea collar for cats

I used to think that the only way I could help my cat with fleas was by giving them medication. As it turns out, there’s a simpler way: flea collars. I’d heard of them, but do they work? I set out to answer this question by looking at the best flea collars for cats.

Why Use a Flea Collar?

Video: Top 5 Best Flea Collar for Dogs 2016

No time to read? Click here to check out my no.1 recommendation for flea collars.

If you’re like me, you were probably a little suspicious of flea collars too. I wondered how a simple collar could protect my cat from those nasty diseases in fleas, and how this would prevent a possibly fatal condition. As it turns out though, the right quality flea collars give lots of valuable advantages while being safe at the same time.

Usually they’re simple to handle, meaning that they’re solid and there’s no mess involved- just like your usual collar! They’re of course still adjustable around your cat’s neck too. These collars will offer safe and effective protection against ticks and fleas while working for long bouts of time. With a good collar then, I don’t even have to worry about monthly dosages of medication. Finally, there are no chemicals involved. My cat will get the protection he needs without chemicals on his skin or in his system.

Are Flea Collars Effective For Cats? How Does It Work?

You might be a little suspicious like me. After all, what’s the point of buying a good collar if it doesn’t do what it’s supposed to? If you buy a good collar though, there are three main options that will help you get the job done properly.

High Frequency Collar

These types of collars send out ultra-sonic waves that, for lack of a better word, “scare” the fleas away. It sounds fancy and many of them receive positive reviews, but some owners just can’t get them to work. If you use them for a while though, they seem to do their job.

Gas Based Collar

I will admit that I had no idea there were gas based collars. They create a toxin that will repel the fleas from your cat and kill them on contact. They only work in a limited area around your cat’s neck, but fleas can’t smell it, so any exposure will kill them.

Absorption Based Collar

These collars contain the same types of insecticide, but this time, it’s absorbed into a cat’s skin to kill those fleas. As soon as fleas get into your pet, the collar should do its work as the poison kills them. Many owners wonder if this is in fact safe however.

Did you know that having a good vacuum helps as well?​

What to Take Note of

If you are looking for a good flea collar, there are a few warnings you should keep in mind before you purchase. Collars like these are important for the safety of your cat, so it’ll defeat the purpose if they accidentally harm your friend!

Look at the Chemicals

When you treat cats, there shouldn’t be a chemical called “permethrin” in the collar. This is a synthetic material that is very dangerous, but is in fact still included in some collars, so be sure to take a look.

Don’t Mix Products

We’re all out to save money, although we shouldn’t do it by using a dog collar on a cat. Dog collars have more chemicals than cat collars, and they might be too much for your small friend. Even if you are using a cat collar, do be sure you have one relative to the cat’s size if it’s a kitten.

What are the best and healthiest beds for your cat?​

Pick a Stretchy Collar

This might seem a little obvious to cat owners, yet it’s still important. Cats have a tendency to get into absolutely everything, and if their collar is too tight and they get stuck, they can possibly choke. Elastic collars are preferred by many owners for exactly that reason.

Also Read: More about nail clippers for your cat​

Do a Final Check

Of course makes sure that the collar is snug enough that your cat can’t slip out of it with too much ease. If they can bite it because it’s too loose, that can be very dangerous for them if they actually ingest the chemicals. Before using the collar too, take a look for flea dirt just in case.

Best Flea Collar For Cats: My Top Picks

It did in fact take me a while to find the best collars, once I decided I wanted one of course. For a forgetful person like me, I had a feeling it would come in handy and keep my cat safer. You might just benefit from one of these too.

Video: How to Use Seresto for Cats - HD

Also Read: My top recommended flea treatments​

Bayer Seresto

Bayer makes a flea and tick collar that works for as long as eight months! If you don’t use it for a while, the collar doesn’t expire either. It’s a non-greasy, odorless solution that is veterinarian recommended to help your cat.

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• Research was included with the product, so you can read through the trials done first
  • Fleas went away at a 99% rate, according to a reviewer
  • If you have enough collars in the home, you won’t even need collars for all your cats

Cons:

• There are some cases of hair loss and dermatitis
  • Some cats might be allergic

Only Natural

Only Natural calls their collar “easy defense,” and with good reason too. This collar uses safe and nontoxic ingredients like cinnamon and citronella oil to give your cat a safe alternative from chemicals. This vet-approved collar keeps you worry-free for three months.

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• It works well, and for a long time like it’s supposed to
  • It’s one of the only all-natural options out there
  • The collar can protect against mosquitoes too in warm environments

Cons:

• There`s a strong odor that not everyone likes
  • It lasts a while, but possibly not as long as other collars

Ultrasonic Flea & Tick Collar

Ultrasonic collars are a great new technology to control ticks with no chemicals, odor, fuss, or mess. This will fit exactly to your cat’s neck while remaining waterproof and easy to use. The warranty is a great perk too.

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• The collar seems to work quickly and efficiently
  • No adverse effects have been reported with short-term usage
  • Humans should not hear the wave emitted to kill fleas at a range of up to four feet

Cons:

• It may only work within the house, and effects are possibly mitigated outside
  • You may need to do a little more combing of your pet to be sure it’s working

Hartz Ultraguard

These collars work for a while, with Hartz working for a solid seven months. The ingredients here should kill fleas even if it gets wet, and works to kill any existing eggs too. If you’re worried about your kitten, Hartz makes just the right collar.

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• Cats are flea-free in less than a week
  • These collars are not really stinky like other collars
  • They work for both indoor and outdoor cats, and even have a reflector strip if they’re outside at night

Cons:

• Some cats might be allergic
  • People consistently complained about the ingredients in the collar

Adams Plus

Adams makes different sized collars for both dogs and cats that work for up to eight months. With a collar like this, you shouldn’t have to worry for a while. Fleas, ticks, flea eggs, and even flea larvae shouldn’t stand a chance anymore.

Video: Cat Care: Fleas & Parasites : The Best Flea Treatment for Cats

Check Latest Price Here

Pros:

• After only a few days of using it, there has been in noticeable positive change in cats
  • The product works great for the price
  • This brand of flea collars works for both dogs and cats

Cons:

• There is a discernible smell to this collar
  • Some people have complained about the change in the design of the collar

Conclusion

There are a lot of things to keep in mind when you’re buying a flea collar, even if you’re already looking at the best flea collars for cats. Keep in mind what kind of collar you want and what will best suit your cat’s needs before you buy. Then you just have to make your purchase and mark your calendar for the date it needs to be replaced!

Reviews & Comments

Related posts