Let’s talk: brachycephalic breeds – what’s the difference?

Brachycephalic Breeds

Brachycephalic BreedsBrachycephalic breeds are dogs with pushed in noses. Many people think the trait makes them look adorable, but it can also cause some unique health issues.Some of the most common brachycephalic breeds are Boston terriers, English bulldogs, French bulldogs, pugs and boxers. These breeds have a unique head, muzzle and throat shape that is different from other canines, which can cause breathing issues and trouble with the brain, eyes and ears.

Video: Relaxing Sleep Music for Flat-Nosed (Brachycephalic) Dogs �� #FLATNOSE04

Brachycephaly can be translated to mean short head. The Greek word ‘brachy’ means short, and ‘cephalic’ means head. This condition is actually due to selective breeding, or the practice of breeding dogs to enhance specific traits. Breeders of brachycephalic breeds are focused on the goal of producing offspring with very short skulls, specifically in terms of the lower jaw region and nose. This will ensure that the puppy does not grow out of the snub-nosed look as he becomes an adult.

Most brachycephalic breeds have a few subtle health conditions, but nothing that is life threatening. However, extreme brachycephaly is an inherited condition that was man-made through the process of exaggerated selective breeding. Extreme brachycephaly can lead to life-long health issues for the dog and may ultimately shorten his life span.

Video: French Bulldog vs. Boston Terrier - DOG LOVERS ❤

Brachycephalic Breeds – What’s the Difference?

Brachycephalic Breeds

If you follow my columns, you know that we have a 5-year-old boxer. I’ve rescued boxers for many years, but before adopting my first boxer I had never owned a brachycephalic breed before. It didn’t take long to realize that there are some noticeable differences.

Video: Sunny's Story - Diagnosing and caring for a Norwich Terrier dog with brachycephalic syndrome

When I took my first rescue boxer to our veterinarian for a checkup, she spoke with me about brachycephalic breeds and the differences between them and dogs with a traditional head and muzzle shape. She told me that due to their altered facial construction, they all suffer from a condition known as Brachycephalic Respiratory Syndrome (BRS) to a varying degree.

To understand this condition, you first need to understand your pet’s nose. If you own a snub-nosed dog, you’ll notice that his nostrils are smaller than those of a dog with a traditional snout. They are scrolled in very tightly, making the nostrils narrow. This will make it harder for your dog to move air in and out.

Video: ABOUT DOGUE DE BORDEAUX, FRENCH MASTIFFS, BORDEAUX BULLDOGS

BRS is also characterized by an elongated soft palate. In layman’s terms, this means that he has a big flap of skin located near the back of his throat that causes a lot of the common characteristics of brachycephalic breeds including snorting.

If you have a brachycephalic breed, make sure that your veterinarian checks that his respiration is sufficient before he undergoes any type of surgery.

Pets with BRS also tend to have a windpipe that is much narrow in some places than others. This is called tracheal stenosis, or a narrowing of the trachea. Not all brachycephalic breeds have this condition, but if your dog does, it can cause many issues like problems with anesthesia. In severe cases it can also lead to tracheal collapse.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts