Pet food recall

Video: Purina ONE dog food recall

Amid all the pet food recalls there is so much controversy about feeding our pets commercial pet foods. Can you recommend a food that I can make at home for my dog?

She has been eating [a national brand] since she was born. Now whenever she eats this she vomits within two minutes. I have given her brown rice cooked in chicken broth for the last two or three days, and this stays down. Do you have any suggestions? My dog is a German Rottweiller. She will be six years old in August. She is an indoor dog and is kept current on all of her vaccines as well as Heartguard and Frontline. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely,

Related: Choosing the right dog food

-C. Teer

Video: More Pet Food Brands Recalled (CBS News)

Read Dr. Weaver`s advice:

Dear C. Teer,

Video: Pet Food Recall - PURINA - Baby died on 04/21/07 - melamine poison

I usually do not recommend homemade diets for dogs. The pet food companies are not perfect, but they have teams of nutritionists who work hard to build foods that provide optimum nutrition for pets. I have always said that if the high-end commercial food companies made human food, I would feed it to my family and myself. If cooking is the only thing you feel safe with, there are several websites that can provide recipes. Once you do find one, follow it completely, including vegetables and vitamin supplementation to assure full nutrition.

If the vomiting has been happening for a while and you choose a commercial diet, dogs with sensitive stomachs often do better on rice-based diets and many of the better brands have sensitive stomach formulations. If the vomiting has only been going on for a short period, you may want to see your vet to rule out any other cause.

-Dr. Sherry Weaver

More in Food and treats

Woman cuddling with dog in bed
To cuddle or not to cuddle...
Brown dog laying on purple bed.

Video: Menu Foods Pet Food Recall

A place of their own: What to look for in dog beds
Two brown dogs in a kennel.
Before disaster strikes: Have a plan for your dogs

Reviews & Comments

Related posts