The top 4 best crates for your dog

top 4 crates header

Click Here to see the Top Selling Dog Crates from Amazon!

Some may think keeping a dog in a crate is harsh and cruel punishment. In reality, a dog crate provides a sense of safety for your dog. Dogs are den animals by nature. They prefer an enclosed area that they can escape to during thunderstorms or toddler invasions.

They especially like an area they can call their own.

You could say that the relationship between a dog and it’s crate is like the relationship of a teenager with their bedroom.

Crates are ideal for dogs especially when traveling by car or plane. It protects dogs from outside harassment and confines your pet safely in one place.

A crate can also be used when a pet is recuperating from a surgery to limit their mobility and the risk of them re-injuring themselves.

Having more than one of the best dog crates on the market can work well for your pets.

I have one in my room, one in the living room, and one in the family room. My dog chooses where he wants to stay.

Video: Puppy Training Series Part 1 of 4: Best Crate Training Video on first day with Puppy

Crate Sizing

top 4 crates1The first thing I did for my dog was to make sure that the crate size would fit them. I began measuring my pet from head to floor. Then measured the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.

I then calculated about four to six inches additional in length and two additional inches in height. This ensures enough space within the crate.

The size of the crate is important. If the crate is too large, it can lack that “den-like feel” that makes your dog feel safe. A large crate is overwhelming. A crate that is too small does not allow your pet to turn around and move safely within the crate.

Bottom line is, having too little space or too much space will add stress to the dog.This beats the purpose of using the kennel.

Be certain that the crate size matches the dog size. There are quite a few different crates to select from on the market.

Here are some of the best dog crates to consider. I selected two out of the four that I listed. They are fantastic and do the job well.

PetNation Port-a-Crate E2 Pet Home

petnationThis crate is great for both indoor and outdoor use. It is also lightweight and portable if you are constantly on the go. It’s easy to set up and fold down.

Ideal for pets who weigh 70 pounds or less, this PetNation crate consists of mesh that’s lightly weaved. It’s then reinforced with a steel frame that’s strong and durable.

Frankly, I feel that it is one of the strongest crates on the market. In addition to having a well-built structure, it also has a industrial door latches and zippers to protect those areas that are apt to wear out.

The top door is also nice for accessing a pet who might be cowering in the back (poor thing). This prevents those struggles where the owner is crawling into the cage to retrieve the animal.

The mesh windows are another selling point for me. They give the impression of bedroom windows an let the pet watch the world around them without feeling exposed. These windows also allow for excellent ventilation.

It comes in six different sizes from 16 inches to 36 inches so you can find the correct size for any pet.

Finally, this crate sets up and collapses easily with no tools. It’s perfect for situations where space is a premium.

My only complaint is that it does not have removable flooring. This can make it harder to clean if your pet makes a mess in it.

Click Here if you would like to get a Petnation Port-a-Crate for your pet!

Midwest Life Stages Dog Crate Folding Metal

midwest life stages crateThis is one of those super-durably crates that is ever so popular.

The durable electro-finished coating on the metal wire makes this one easily recognizable. These guys understand that pets can occaisionally get messy, and built a crate that is designed to withstand any mess (or cleanup).

This could be the last crate you own.

I love how it easily sets up or folds down for storage.

This crate has two plastic handles. This is better than some of the earlier designs that only had one handle, but I can say from experience that the bulky design makes it really hard to carry with an animal inside. I definitely like to collapse mine to move it.

However, if you do have to move it, the rounded edges makes it much easier to carry then those square-edged crates.

It comes with a one year limited warranty.

The ABS plastic pan that’s easily removed for cleaning and can even be replaced if it gets cracked.

As with the crate reviewed above, the doors on the side and back provide plenty of accessibility room for retrieving stubborn or scared animals. .

The sliding bolt latches are easy to lock and amply secure.

Finally, the optional pet dividers can let you actually fit two dogs in one crate for optimal space conservation.

Click Here to view the Midwest Life Stages Dog Crate!

Merry Products Cage with a Crate Cover Set

Merruy Products CrateThe exterior of this crate is covered with MDF solid wooden panels. This gives it a chic look that fits well with most decors. Some owners find themselves using it as an end table for books , magazines and coasters!

The removable floor tray pan makes cleanup a snap, making this an ideal crate for home use.

The durable wood/steel construction means that this is another crate that is designed to go the distance.

The three available sizes means that this crate will make a perfect home for any dog. .

Just like the other crates, this one is easy to assemble or disassemble.

The con is that some pet owners may find the wooden panels complicated to put together.

Click Here to see this stylish dog crate on Amazon!

PetMate Pet Porter Kennel

petmate crateThis is definitely among one of the best dog crates to have. It comes in a variety of sizes from small to extra large.

It’s ideal for dogs up to 34 inches tall. They are perfect for dogs up to 125 pounds. One of the larger sizes is 48 by 32 by 35 inches.

Made in the United States, this kennel is easy to assemble. There’s no rusting wing nuts and side air vents that a lot of cheaper models have. It also comes with a one year warranty.

There are four tie down holes on the corners for securing the crate in windy or shifting conditions

The interior perimeter moat makes for easy(er) cleanup should an accident occur. And the easy closure and opening with a chrome squeeze latch is a nice one-handed feature.

The only downside is that this crate may not be the best choice for a hyper active pet. If your dog is overly energetic they can tip over the bowls and rattle the screws loose.

All of these kennels can be considered among the best dog crates to choose from. Whether you are using them to keep your pet contained while traveling or simply providing a comfortable ‘den” for them to hang out in, these units are sure to last and provide both owner and pet with many happy years of use.

Click Here to see some of the PetMate Porter Kennel options from Amazon.com!

Back to Best Nail Clippers For Your Dog

Reviews & Comments

Related posts