This is the only retractable leash with a built-in braking system

Have you ever been surprised by your dog lunging or running while on a retractable leash? You know what I mean. You’re standing at the dog park talking to a friend and the next thing you know Fido takes off after a chipmunk. You weren’t paying attention so your dog has pulled 10 feet of leash out before you can hit the button to stop it. He’s tangled around three other dogs and a small child and you’re chasing after him trying to get him to stop. Then you have to avoid the dog park for a few days until the embarrassment subsides.

Video: Using the Growpetz Retractable Dog Leash to Walk Maltese

You won’t need to worry about a scenario like that with the SmartLeash. It is the first retractable dog leash that automatically stops your dog when he lunges or suddenly tries to run. It operates just like a regular retractable leash until your dog engages the automatic braking system. If he suddenly pulls on the leash for any reason, the SmartLeash locks automatically, much like a seatbelt.

It stays locked as long as there is tension on the leash, but once your pet releases the tension, the leash automatically resets. There is a lock button like you’d see on any other retractable leash as well. It can be engaged at the dog walker’s preference. This simple design offers an innovative new take on the retractable leash. I think it would be particularly beneficial to any dog owner that uses a retractable leash near traffic or has an especially unpredictable dog.

Video: Dog Collar With Built-In Retractable Leash

The SmartLeash also has a bright yellow reflective tape so it is very noticeable after dark. A comfortable rubbery grip makes it easy to carry and prevents hand fatigue when going for long walks. Each leash also comes with a removable reflective wrist strap for added security. It can be used as a safety feature incase the leash is dropped. Did I mention that the large and medium models also have a built-in high-strength bungee attached to the clasp to absorb the stress and pull of larger dogs? The creators of this leash thought of everything!

The company says that the leash generally will stop your dog after he’s pulled about 18 inches of the leash out. If your reaction time is anything like mine, that’s a lot less space than your dog normally gets when he makes a break for it. I can stop our puppy pretty quickly, but our boxer will normally get a few feet or more if she lunges while on a retractable leash. She’s so fast and if I’m not expecting it she gets quite far. Then I have to keep working her back closer and closer until I get her back where I want her. Our dogs don’t do it often, and we live in the country so we don’t need to walk them every day, but if your dog is known for trying to take off while on a retractable leash the SmartLeash may be a wise investment.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts